1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Best Micro 4/3rds for my wife - See inside

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by moshe, Aug 13, 2013.

1. moshe

moshe New to Mu-43

Jun 1, 2013
    Hi everyone, I got a simple question that will hopefully make my wife want to use her camera.

In April, I bought a Sony Nex F3 in hopes that my wife would start taking pictures with it. However, I have found that I am the one taking pictures all the time which I love, but she unfortunately doesn't use it as much.

I have noticed that she does like to take pictures but she does it with her phone which has a 8mp camera and quickly share it to Facebook or family members.

The subject of the pictures is our new born baby, so I want the pictures to come out really nice and be able to share them really easily and fast.

Is there any micro 4/3rd camera that can share, fast and easy?

I love the idea of changing lenses, and I would also be taking pictures with it, so I would like it to be a Micro 4/3rd camera.

Can you share your experiences of how you do it and how it works please?

One more thing - my wife likes to edit pictures and what not, what would be the best software to edit pictures in a intuitive way?

Thanks you so much!!!!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Mu-43 mobile app

2. htc

htc Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 11, 2011
    Finland
    Harry
    Bought MFT to my wife. Bought one also to my daughter. Now, one year later we have two unused cameras but also two a lot used iPhones...

I think it is pointless to fight back. It's going to go that way :rolleyes:

3. htc

htc Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 11, 2011
    Finland
    Harry
    Panasonic GX7 and Olympus E-P5 both have wifi and you can have a client software in your iPhone to download pictures to iPhone (maybe Android and...?)
    Then you can use several softwares in iPhone to edit and then post to Facebook, Flickr, Instagram and so on...

Personally I use mainly Instagram (so nothing serious) and then upload to Facebook and Instagram. I would like to think that your wife would love it that way too.

4. pcnyc

pcnyc Mu-43 Regular

Sep 15, 2010
    You are probably better off getting her the new nokia 40 megapixel phone (or is it 60?), or the samsung one with a zoom lens, or maybe the new Sony NFC lens camera when it comes out.

I found my wife got the whole phone cam workflow going on now it's very hard to change, and that's even before taking into account of the added things she will need to carry. She actually used to carry a compact in her bag not too long ago, but once she got a smartphone the compact was left in a drawer forever.

She will upload the pics I took once in a while, if I organized it beforehand and put it in a shared drive where she can get to and she has time at night to go thru them. but no way am I gonna expect her now to carry a camera with her to take pics on the go and then connect the phone to the camera, download it to phone, then upload to her favorite social sites. It feel like a drag just typing all that steps, let alone actually doing it.

My advice is for you to take a lot of pictures and make sure they come out nice, don't count on anyone else :) YMMV, but that's my experience :)

5. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    The only interchangeable lens camera that will match how quickly a smartphone can share photos is probably the Samsung Galaxy NX. And no ILC is going to match the compactness convenience of a smartphone, not even a MFT camera with a pancake lens. I think you have to be someone who enjoys photography before it really makes sense to invest in any system.

For someone who wants to casually take photos and easily share them, the best you can do is look for a good compact camera or cameraphone. The Nokia Lumia 1020 arguably has the best camera right now, and the iPhone 5 the second best. But that may change -- there should be a new iPhone soon and some people speculate the next Nexus will have a better camera. And Sony is coming out with a better camera phone too.

Some cameras do allow direct uploading of photos over wifi. With Panasonic they have the Lumix Club which allows you to post to Facebook and other sites direct from the camera if it is connected to wifi. The GF6 and LF1 support this, but I haven't used it to say how easy it is.

6. moshe

moshe New to Mu-43

Jun 1, 2013
    Yeah, my wife shares them on Facebook and Instagram too lol.

Yeah, we got Android phones but ahe wants and iPad so we will probably be getting one soon, and her next phone will most likely be an iPhone.

So yeah, I don't want to give up yet on trying to make her to take the camera with her everywhere she goes because I know she enjoys it very much, she even likes to edit them and make them look better.

I guess is the convenience of taking the picture and sharing that makes it easy and fun for her.

But what if I can find a camera that it's small, easy to use, takes great pictures and with easy sharing capabilities??? She might fall in loveeee :) plus with the iPad she will be able to do all kinds of editing.

I just need you guys recommendations as to what camera are the best at accomplishing this, or perhaps family of devices. (E.g. micro 4/3rd camera+ipad+ editing app=fun, easy and beautiful)

I want strictly a micro 4/3rd camera as our system of choice but with sharing our Wi-Fi capabilities.

I would like to add that when we go out together we always take the Sony Nex and she asks me to transfer them to the computer so that she can play around with the pictures. So if we can find a way for the pictures to be transferred to the computer or to the phones like htc mentioned that would be wonderful.

So a EP5 and the GX7 would be able to do that like HTC mentioned?

Between Olympus and Panasonic which one is the easiest to use and the best processing the pictures in camera as a JPEG but still good RAW to process later?

Thanks for your advice and look forward to it

7. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I don't know why in the world people are recommending the $1000 body only GX7 for what your wife uses her camera for, except that it's brand new and on all our minds ;)

I'd wholeheartedly recommend the GF6, which has the same connectivity, but is smaller, cheaper and looks (subjectively) more like a camera a woman would buy (the recent GF series cameras have gotten flack for being "girly", whatever that means). Panasonic has the advantage of a really great auto mode, too, if she's not into changing a lot of settings (not saying women in general aren't into it, but people who generally use a smartphone camera over a NEX probably fit such a profile).

8. moshe

moshe New to Mu-43

Jun 1, 2013
    Now we are getting somewhere.

Thank you for the suggestion, between Panasonic and Olympus, is there any definite "better" brand, in terms of AF, colors, etc?

Does the Panasonic GF6 competes against any Olympus camera?

9. pcnyc

pcnyc Mu-43 Regular

Sep 15, 2010
    I agree on GF6, and also since you already own a NEX, maybe the NEX-5R or NEX-6.

Or maybe you can get a wifi SD card, like a toshiba flashair or something, this way it will work with the NEX-F3?

10. BeyondTheLines

BeyondTheLines Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2012
    Spain/USA
    Patrick
    Before buying a new camera/system you might want to also consider an Eye-Fi card. I don't have any experience with them but the Eye-Fi Mobi looks like it offers some nice options and should work with her Nex camera.

11. BeyondTheLines

BeyondTheLines Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2012
    Spain/USA
    Patrick
    Oops, didn't see your post. :smile:

12. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    People generally say the Olympus colours are a little better in jpg, however, you can go into Panasonic's menus and fine-tune the jpg settings to look pretty much how you want. The intelligent auto mode Panasonic uses is pretty cool, most all of their cameras have a small button near the shutter (not 100% sure the GF6 does, I think it does) that glows blue when you press it to engage intelligent auto. What the camera does is determine what kind of picture you're taking and use the scene mode that best fits the situation. The results sometimes irritate me, they look so right on. :p

13. moshe

moshe New to Mu-43

Jun 1, 2013

I will research on that Toshiba SD card.

Sounds like it does the same thing as what poster above suggested.
    I will look at both and compare.

Yeah, the Sony does have this as well but I don't like it. It doesn't chooses the right exposures or what I'm trying to do at times.

Would it be a good idea to buy second hand cameras?

14. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    If you are finding it too hard or expensive to go the serious camera way, the Panasonic LF1 has many benefits over MFT. I fancy it as a backup camera.
    • Price €370, £350. Tiny size, 10fps.
    • Electronic Viewfinder. Control Ring.
    • Sensor 1/1.7"+ raw.
    • Zoom 7.1x f/2.0 lens. Flash
    • WIFI + NFC smartphone connection. Remote viewfinder and sharing.
    panasonic_lf1_hands-on-550x377. Link
    So you can concentrate on changing nappies (diapers) not lenses!

15. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

My wife always asks "How come your photos look so much better than mine?" and I use that as a segue into dark parts unknown (to her). I always end up with "There really is no need to instantly post photos".

I'm pretty good at dodging the piercing glare. A wise man does not get between his wife and her social media. At least I'm not.

16. madmaxmedia

madmaxmedia Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 20, 2010
    For baby candid portraits, I recommend E-PM2 + Olympus 45mm (and keep the kit lens around for occasional use when needed), and maybe a Toshiba Flashair card for easy uploads and posting to FB, Instagram, etc. Small, compact, easy to use, gives up IQ to nobody. That is, if she cares about getting that shallow DOF portrait look.

If she doesn't care, then let her snap away with her smartphone.

I also highly recommend VSCO Cam on the smartphone-

17. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I think Panasonic trends to get the most applause for its auto mode, it really works pretty well, well beyond what I used in prior cameras. Not that I use it now, mind you!

I'd say the GF6 with "pancake" zoom would suit her well, but what do I know?? I'm not married to your wife, i.e. don't have to live with your decision ;)

18. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    The LF1 is a good choice -- pocketable, larger sensor than most point and shoots, and the same wifi setup as the GF6.

Though if you are set on a MFT camera, the GF6 is probably the way to go. See if you can get one with the 14-42 power zoom lens and it is something she could keep in a purse with no problems.

19. ntblowz

ntblowz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 13, 2011
    Auckland, New Zealand
    The Photo Story mode from E-P5 is pretty good feature for sharing stacked photos on the net. When I got GH3 I still like to use the old fashion way of import photo to computer via card reader, tweak it then posting out (probably because I don't like they force you to register lumix club for uploading photo)

Now with the E-P5 I have been using the wifi function a lot, take most of the photos on story mode, connect via smartphone and upload to FB/Instagram

[​IMG]

20. Pecos

Pecos Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 20, 2013
    The Natural State
    What RobWatson said.
    Not everyone cares about jpeg colors and sharpness.
    Let her use a smartphone.