1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Best Memory Card For A GF1?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Colin Griffiths, May 3, 2011.

1. Colin Griffiths

Colin Griffiths New to Mu-43

I am looking for a bit of advice please. I am currently using a Transcend SDHC Class 6 8GB card with my GF1. I've never had a problem with it and the only frustration is the time it takes to write RAW files. My question is this, what is the best type of card that I can get for use with this camera? Cost is not a deciding factor at the moment.

Best Regards,

Colin

The "Rich Gift Of Lins"

2. everythingsablur

everythingsablur Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 4, 2010
    Toronto, ON
    The camera itself won't push a card as hard as say a hacked GH1 or a GH2 (unless of course you hacked up to GF13), so a class 6 card is generally fine. You could go up to a class 10 card, but I don't know if that will really make a massive improvement in your RAW write times (but would if you had a GF13 and did a lot of video). The internal buffer of the camera will eventually become the bottleneck if it isn't already.

3. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    For the tiny cost difference, I don't see why you wouldn't buy Class 10.

4. everythingsablur

everythingsablur Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 4, 2010
    Toronto, ON
    True. I haven't bought new cards in ages. To that point though, is it worth buying a class 10 if you've already got class 6s? What kind of performance gain would you really see?

5. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    True, i wouldn't replace them for the speed, just when I bought more I would get class 10.

6. Bill

Bill Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2009
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bill (really)
    It seems to me that having spent serious money on a camera, then I should take care to use quality SDHC cards. For my GF1 I use the Lexar Professionals (8gb). Speed is not my essential criteria, but it exceeds the class 10 minimums.

7. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Buy the fastest card you can reasonably afford: you may well upgrade to a more demanding camera at some stage.

8. Colin Griffiths

Thanks for all the replies everyone, I guess I just get the highest spec card and go with what it gives me!

9. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

Consider this

If you are shooting video, than the speed of the card becomes an issue (and a requirement). For single shots I see no point in buying faster (and more $$) cards. The camera's buffer handles the file until it's written. One exception. I shoot a lot of HDR, and usually shoot 5-7 bracketed shots in both RAW and JPG simultaneously. In that situation, a faster card will minimize any delays.

Things to consider

SD cards have three speed ratings: Read, Write and Copy. Many of the cheaper cards will spec the READ speed which is usually faster. A fast WRITE speed is what you are looking for.

Next time you get a bad SD card, crack it open. Surprise, it's usually the same Samsung memory in every card. Often you are paying premium prices for the name. For example, Micro Center's SD memory is Samsung memory made by Sandisk for Micro Center.

10. Colin Griffiths

I thought a bit of feedback would be appropriate after all of your helpful replies. I've since purchased a SanDisk Extreme Pro 45mb/s 8GB card and the difference is quite noticeable. The time to save a RAW file is reduced by about 3 seconds from 8 to 5. When I was out at the weekend taking some street photographs the difference became very apparent and was a very welcome improvement. Though I'm not really concerned about download time (time isn't at a premium when I sit at my PC), the duration required to get the images into Lightroom was reduced by a remarkable amount. All round I'm extremely pleased.

The "Rich Gift Of Lins"