1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Best manual focus macro solution for GX7

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Patassa, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Patassa

Patassa New to Mu-43

Feb 21, 2014
    I was wondering what you guys have found for a simple, lower cost, manual focus macro solution for your micro 4/3 cameras? I have the GX7 with focus peaking so I figured a manual lens would do just fine.

I was looking at the Olympus 35mm f/3.5 macro for 4/3 with an adapter, seems to be a low cost good quality solution. Any other options out there like this?

2. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    You have a host of 50mm and 100mm options (pick your brand), but they usually require a matching 1:1 extension tube. Vivitar made a 55m 2.8 macro that was self contained, there is the Kiron 105, and Vivitar also made a Close Focus 135mm that went to 1:2. They also have the Macro Teleconverter, that in addition to being 2x, means it will turn a 50mm lens (.45m MFD) into a 1:1 macro. And this doesn't get into any of the reversing ring/extension tubes out there.

3. biomed

biomed Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    Mike
    I use a Nikkor 55/2.8 Micro lens. I am not sure what the reproduction ratio is with a u4/3 camera. The lens does half life size on a Nikon body without extension tubes. I will bet it is close to 1:1 on a u4/3 body. There a lots of excellent macro lenses that can be found for very little money. I use the Nikkor because I already owned it. The only expense was for the adapter. With the GX7 using an adapted lens is made easy with focus peaking. Introduced in 1979, this lens is still being manufactured by Nikon.

4. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    The size of the sensor does not change the reproduction ratio. If a lens is 1;2, it stays that regardless of sensor. What would change is the Field of View (like with any other lens). The 1:x ratio refers to the size of the image on the sensor compared to the real object, so all you get with larger sensors is you can fit larger objects at 1:1 in the frame.

• Like Like x 1
  5. agile_one

agile_one New to Mu-43

Dec 10, 2013
    Sarasota, FL, USA
    Gene Sweeney
    I use an Olympus OM 50/3.5 macro, and am very pleased with it. Easy to focus, sharp, and I think the extra 15 (30 with crop) mm is good in a macro to give a little breathing room. I also have Olympus extension tubes, but never use them.

6. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Are you using that lens? I am new to adapted lenses but just bought that one with the Panny 4/3 adapter. When I focus I get the enlargement box but I do not get focus peaking. Focus peaking works fine with my M43 lenses and I have not changed any settings. Any suggestions?

7. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    This ^. But these issues are interrelated. The fact is, this refers to an unenlarged image that is the size of the sensor or film image. A M4/3 image that is blown up to a specific size will be blown up twice as much as a full frame image that is blown up to the same size. So, if the eventual image is to be displayed at 8x10, an M4/3 image shot at 1/2 life size will be the same size in the final blow-up as a full frame image that was shot at 1:1 life size.

BTW, I use several Macro methodologies on Micro 4/3. I use a Minolta 50mm f3.5 lens, with or without an extension tube. I also use a Tamron 90mm f2.5 SP lens, with or without an extension tube. I also use my Sigma 60mm lens in conjunction with screw-on achromat diopter accessory lenses. (I have gotten good results with both an Olympus IS/L A Macro adapter, and a Minolta Close-up lens number #2, but there are numerous other achromat diopter lenses out there).

Last edited: Aug 24, 2015