Best Macro Lens(es) for GX85

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Krandall, Feb 5, 2017.

1. Krandall

Krandall Mu-43 Regular

Feb 5, 2017
    Metrowest, Boston
    Karen Randall
    I usually shoot macro with my Canon 7D and either a 60mm or 100mm IS macro lens, depending on what I'm shooting. What macro lenses do people like? I need it mostly for (very small) flower photos on the plants I study.

2. retiredfromlife

retiredfromlife Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 15, 2016
    Syndey, Australia
    Most people here seem to use the Olympus 60mm macro lens

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Krandall

Krandall Mu-43 Regular

Feb 5, 2017
    Metrowest, Boston
    Karen Randall
    Nothing in the 100mm range? Oh, wait a minute... because of the sensor size, that makes it like a 120mm equivalent (full frame)? That would work.

4. retiredfromlife

retiredfromlife Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 15, 2016
    Syndey, Australia
    If you really want to stand off a bit the Olympus 40-150 2.8 pro with the TC focuses really close for a tele but very expensive.
    It also has the manual focus clutch

• Wow Wow x 1
  5. TheMenWhoDrawSheeps

TheMenWhoDrawSheeps Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 15, 2016
    Pana got nice 45mm lens.
    Oly beides 60mm f2.8 has recently brought out 30mm f3.5 with 2.5x magnofication.
    Test it out and compare them to your ff equipment first.

6. algold

algold Mu-43 Regular

Apr 8, 2016
    Alex
    If you like 60 and 100mm Canon macro lenses, Panasonic Leica 45mm/2.8 will suit you nicely. Although for small flowers a Panasonic 30mm/2.8 macro will also work wery well and it's a lot cheaper than 45/2.8 macro.
    I usually shoot Canon 60mm macro and mpe 65mm/2.8 macro, but like my pana 30/2.8 a lot.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Serhan

Serhan Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 7, 2011
    NYC
    You can use your Canon lenses on m43 with af adapters. I tried EF 100mm f2 and works great. I used also Zeiss ZF 100mm f2 macro on gx7 (older version of gx85) which has equiv 200mm 1:1 macro. However size wise Oly 60mm is a better match.

8. Krandall

Krandall Mu-43 Regular

Feb 5, 2017
    Metrowest, Boston
    Karen Randall
    I really need true (1:1) macro for what I do.

9. TheMenWhoDrawSheeps

TheMenWhoDrawSheeps Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 15, 2016
    keep in mind, the "True" 1:1 FF is look of a 1:2 in MFT world. don´t get lost there, just go to a shop, and pick up lens, giving you propper magnification and field of view.

10. Krandall

Krandall Mu-43 Regular

Feb 5, 2017
    Metrowest, Boston
    Karen Randall
    That's an interesting idea, as I have LOTS of Canon lenses... where do you get the adaptors?

11. algold

algold Mu-43 Regular

Apr 8, 2016
    Alex
  12. Krandall

Krandall Mu-43 Regular

Feb 5, 2017
    Metrowest, Boston
    Karen Randall
    I know about the 2x factor, and I shot with an APS sensor, so I'm used to the crop factor. But in my experience for true macro shooting, you still need a "real" macro lens... The "macro" end of a telephoto just doesn't cut it when you need to be close and need a really sharp image. We don't have ANY shops where you can "try" lenses. I need to order over the Internet. The place I shop (B&H Photo) is great about returns, but I need to have a good idea what I'm looking for. For now, I ordered the Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm f/2.8 Macro Lens. I may add the Panasonic 30mm one later, for some of the larger (little) fish that I photograph. (and insects)

13. Krandall

Krandall Mu-43 Regular

Feb 5, 2017
    Metrowest, Boston
    Karen Randall
    Thanks! I may get it at some point, just to be able to use my other lenses. But you've got a good point... It would be easy to fill my camera bag with so much stuff I'd end up with the same issues as with my DSLR! ;)

• Like Like x 1
  14. 少林chris

少林chris Mu-43 Regular

Jun 28, 2013
    Los Angeles / Copenhagen
    Chris
    The Pana 45mm 2.8 macro is exceptional. I use it for macro and occasional portraits as well, I am however listening it in the sale section as I hardly shoot flowers and insects any longer. If you are looking for a cheaper option, the Oly 12-50mm (with a decent macro feature) is a great value. Good Luck.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. algold

algold Mu-43 Regular

Apr 8, 2016
    Alex
    I don't really want to go back to a 3-4 kg camera bag - that was my reasoning for buying a m4/3 kit. Still have my Canon cameras, lenses and flashguns though.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Krandall

Krandall Mu-43 Regular

Feb 5, 2017
    Metrowest, Boston
    Karen Randall
    No, I need excellent IQ, and am willing to pay for it. Something suitable for insects (bigger than fruit flies ;) ) is probably not going to work for the flowers I need to shoot.

17. Krandall

Krandall Mu-43 Regular

Feb 5, 2017
    Metrowest, Boston
    Karen Randall
    speaking of flashes... does anyone use an external flash with these cameras? Are there any macro flashes for it? Often I can get the flower photos I need in the field, but other times, we take them back to our hotel and photograph them there against a dark background, and a flash comes in handy for that.

18. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    How important is working distance for you? This will help with your decision process, although I suspect that the two choices are really the 45 and the 60. I have the 60 and it is probably my favorite lens. I do not go to 1:1, but I appreciate that I can get as close as I want. The 45 has always been a mystery to me. It was, and is, a quite an expensive lens, especially compared to the 60, but it has its loyal followers. Had it been more affordable, I might have bought it instead of the 60. Several years ago Ming Thein wrote up a nice review of the 60 that you may want to read on his blog. Also note that the 60 is weather resistant if that matters to you.

Good luck,

--Ken

19. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Sure. TTL standard flashes are reasonably well covered by Olympus, Panasonic, Metz and Nissin, manual flashes would work too obviously. Dedicated native macro flashes are harder to find though (I think Olympus make one), I'm not sure there are any worth getting due to power limitations.

• Like Like x 1
  20. johnvanatta

johnvanatta Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Aug 5, 2014
    Oakland, CA
    For native lenses, I believe it is this:
    Olympus 60/2.8. This is the easiest to recommend. Excellent optics, and the longest native macro.
    Panasonic/Leica 45/2.8. Ming Thein's comparison is the only head to head against the Oly 60 I know of. TLDR: the Oly won.
    Panasonic 30/2.8: Came out a year or two ago, not many people have it. A bit of a mystery. I don't know any reason to prefer it to the Oly 60 unless you know you want a slightly wider view or want it as a long normal for general purpose.
    Olympus 30/3.5: Came out pretty recently. Magnifies to 1.25:1, though obviously the working distance is going to be tiny. If you have rails and lighting and want to go really close, this would be an interesting option.

To go longer, some people here have adapted assorted full frame 100/105 types. Legacy macro lenses can be pretty good, and manual focus isn't such a drawback in some use cases.

• Like Like x 2