Best m43 portrait lens?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by crashwins, Oct 21, 2012.

1. crashwins

crashwins Mu-43 Regular

Oct 13, 2010
    Northampton, MA
    I'm sure this has been answered, but I've been out of the m43 world awhile (temporarily back in Canon land) and am curious what the current thinking is. That's one thing I liked about my Canon: excellent portrait lens offerings. But, I'm happy back with my EP1 :) Thanks!

2. ryanlogic

ryanlogic Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2012
    Antakya, Turkey
    It seems that the Olympus 75mm is the best, but for the price, the Olympus 45mm is amazing. Check out my photostream if you wanna see what the 45mm can do!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    The 45mm is simply stellar, especially given its price and size. The 75mm seems to be good by the reviews, but it's new yet and it's very long.

4. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    I have the 45 & 75. The 45 has the VOF of a 90mm, FF so the subject to camera distance and the resulting perspective give a pretty classic portrait lens look. The 1.8 max aperture actually gives the right DOF to get the whole face, and not just the eyes in focus. If you want the background more out of focus, put more distance between the subject and background. The 75 is also excellent if what it delivers is what you want. The greater shooting distance gives a flatter, more distance perspective. Both lenses are optically excellent and fully useable wide open.

5. crashwins

crashwins Mu-43 Regular

Oct 13, 2010
    Northampton, MA
    Yeah, the 75 does concern me. 150mm equivalent is not going to be great in a room. The 45 also has great reviews so it seemed like a good choice. No legacy lenses really offer up the same quality I'd guess?

6. dylandingo

dylandingo Mu-43 Regular

Nov 12, 2011
    La Crosse, WI
    +1 for the Oly 45mm. I haven't had a chance to try the 75mm but for the price point the 45mm is hard to beat.

7. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    The 75mm is great for portraits, I rented one for a week and loved it when I had the space to work with. Unfortunately it is really long. I found it super difficult to work with because of that. Can't justify the cost of that lens for the way that I shoot.

I have a feeling that the Olympus 60mm macro lens might work well. I used it for some portraits at a wedding and liked the results quite a bit from it. The 45mm is the easy go-to of course, I really only use it for portraits anymore.

8. absolutic

absolutic Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 21, 2011
    I have 45 and 75. 45 is good for 3/4 and full body portraits and 75 is good for headshots. Both are tremendous lenses. 75 (150 equivalent) is perfect length for headshots to flatten most noses (portraits photogs will know what I am talking about).

9. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    Depends on the look you are going for. My minolta 50mm f/1.4 is a great portrait lens. I'm actually looking at something like the 58mm f/1.2 to use just for dreamy looking portraits. For the cost most of the "nifty fifty" lenses work very well. I would say most I'm familiar with aren't as sharp as the 45mm Olympus is wide open at all, and probably not quite as sharp stopped down either. Plus you loose AF and at wide apertures that can be a bit more tricky to nail focus.

10. crashwins

crashwins Mu-43 Regular

Oct 13, 2010
    Northampton, MA
    Yeah, I don't even have anything around to sample what 150mm would be like. I do a lot of street photography, but portrait-oriented. Maybe the 75 wouldn't be a bad choice in that regard. Ha, so it's between the two, but the 45 definitely seems the most versatile. These responses are super helpful - thanks!

11. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    I'd seriously recommend renting the 75mm. It cost me about $100 for a week with shipping/damage waiver. A few days would be less than that. I'm glad that I did, I was surprised how much the difference was between 60mm and 75mm.

12. crashwins

crashwins Mu-43 Regular

Oct 13, 2010
    Northampton, MA
    I have the 20mm pancake lens and the Minolta 50 1.4 you mentioned. Maybe grabbing an Oly 45 would be a little redundant for my range and the 75 would be better?

13. capodave

capodave Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 4, 2010
    Southern Cal
    Dave
    I have the 20 and 45 as well as some legacy 50's.
    I was set to get the 75 after trying one.
    It really is a great lens.
    I did't think I would use it often because of the fov.
    The 20 is my go to and the 45 renders really good portraits, or when I want something a little longer.

14. hankbaskett

hankbaskett Mu-43 Regular

Aug 21, 2012
    I have the 75 and the 45. They're both gorgeous. The 75 is incredibly sharp and oozes quality. The 45 is very sharp and is a heck of a good deal.

You won't go wrong either way, so why not buy both of them :).