1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Best m43 Kit for $600?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by RobDMB, Apr 8, 2015.

1. RobDMB

RobDMB Mu-43 Regular

May 12, 2013
    I have a friend looking to jump into a m43/dslr camera. His budget is only around $600. I am wondering what everyone would recommend as a good kit to start. If possible, something with wifi and a viewfinder would be ideal. Thanks.

2. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. jeffryscott

jeffryscott Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 2, 2010
    Arizona
    Used EM-5, used 12-50 and 40-150. Good little kit with some weatherproofing and macro capabilities.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. 50orsohours

50orsohours Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 13, 2013
    Portland Oregon
    I'd also go for a refurbed/used EM5 and 12-50/40-150 lens combo. Slightly over budget, but the EM5/12-50 is doable.

5. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
  6. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Is $600 likely to be all his budget will be for a long time or is this really just a start and he will add lenses in the future?

If this is just a start, then a GX7 kit would be my vote - with plans to add a couple fast primes in the near future. E-m10 is not a bad way to go, either, I just think GX7 offers more for the money and has a better kit lens.

If $600 has to last a while, I would go with something older and buy a couple cheap primes. Like maybe a used GX1, 20mm f1.7 and 45mm f1.8 kit. Or a E-PM2 and the 3 Sigma primes. Lots of options there for used stuff.

I'd rather have 2-3 good lenses with fast aperture and an older camera than a new camera and only the kit zoom. I'd probably rather have an RX100 type camera over just an m4/3 body and 14-42.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Agree with all but I would stretch it a bit and pickup a used Panasonic LX100. it's a lot more camera than the RX100.

8. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Latest 14-42 is a good optic, though.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Of course, but I was just saying even the "lowly" RX100 would be preferable. I'd actually be more inclined to go FZ1000 over the LX100, though, as an all-around, only camera.

10. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    I would go for EM10 over EM5 for added zero anti-shock, Wi-Fi, Live Composite.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. PMCC

PMCC Mu-43 Regular

Feb 18, 2013
    G5 + 14-42 II and use the spare money for either
    1) P20
    2) 40-150, possibly with another sigma
    3) manual lenses
    or just
    G5 + 12-32

12. svtquattro

svtquattro Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 24, 2012
    Vancouver, Canada
    E-M10 refurb + 14-45 (not 42)
    G5 + 20 + 45
    E-M5 used (MINE!) + 12-50 + 45
    or the $249 E-PM2 + kit lens + $350 of lenses
    so many possibilities!

13. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Sadly, my standard recommendation under these conditions is a plastic Canikon DSLR twin lens kit. When dollars are this low, absolutely nothing beats them for image quality per dollar spent. Also has a wide focal length range, and a nifty fifty can be picked up used for what , $70? (Although personally I would spend that on a swiveling flash from a generic brand -- he gets to learn a bit about flash, and the picture quality is so much better than a direct flash that it's unbelievable.)

14. svtquattro

svtquattro Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 24, 2012
    Vancouver, Canada
    That GX7 for $449 deal was killer. Then add a 14-45 and you're good to go for a while. I tend to use the 2x digital teleconverter built-in when I have only my 12-32 around.

15. Jfrader

Jfrader Guest

No wi-fi on the EM5 or I would recommend that.

16. svtquattro

svtquattro Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 24, 2012
    Vancouver, Canada
    wifi was very useful when i forgot my cable and left the laptop at home but if i only had $600 to spend, it would not be one of my priorities.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

What are they jumping from and why? Are they hoping to expand into a full system or just looking for improvements in specific areas? Are they going to be fussed with changing lenses? Do they like post-processing or is JPEG the way to go? What do they usually shoot, and in what context (low light, hiking, fast moving pets or kids, landscape...)?

If they just want something 'better', the usual kit zoom + fast prime (low light, indoors) or kit zoom + telephoto zoom (good light, outdoors, reach) or extended range kit zoom (good light, outdoors, simple) is the way to go.

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    I agree with wjiang. I recently adviced for a G6 with twin lenses kit. I discovered later that there was not much interest in learning about photography, swapping lenses, using primes and super-zoom expectations (but he wanted an ICL system...). Today I would advice for a 14-150 instead for example. Another issue was shooting moving targets indoor where a cheapest Nikon D3200 could be better. Another friend of mine got a used G2 kit for 150 euros and I think he is more happy about it.

Why does he need wifi? To share pictures immediately on Facebook/Flickr? Is this really important? Is size a issue? G6 with two lenses is quite bulky. The aforementioned RX100 could really be a better option for many.
    I think that many m43 cameras are not worth the money for family snapshots on vacation once a year.

19. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Maybe we should create a default template for these kinds of posts?
    Budget
    Subjects
    etc

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. RobDMB

RobDMB Mu-43 Regular

May 12, 2013
    They are upgrading from just a compact/camera set-up. They recently had a child and would like a camera to capture better photos etc. Initially they will probably stick with the camera/lens combo but would like the option to add additional lenses in the future. I do not see them building a serious collection of lenses, flashes, etc. however.