1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Best m4/3 body for adapted lenses.

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by agoglanian, Apr 13, 2011.

1. agoglanian

agoglanian Mu-43 Regular

Nov 23, 2010
    Laguna Niguel, CA
    Abram Goglanian
    Hey guys!

So I've been loving my GF1, it's my take everywhere camera. I've been recently experimenting with adapting my Canon FD lenses onto this camera, and while they balance fairly well, I find it very difficult to focus hand held w/o using the EVF.

That being said, the EVF for the GF1 is "OK" at best. What would be the best option for using these lenses? Something like a G1? Or should I just switch over to an EP2 w/ that nice EVF that it has?

I'm not necessarily looking to get rid of my GF1 as I like the form factor, but if I were to switch to the EP2 it would have to find a new home ;)

In-body IS does sound tempting...

Curious what you adapted lens users are shooting on and how happy you are with your setups.

2. theflyer

theflyer Mu-43 Regular

Jan 14, 2011
    i find MF adapted lenses much easier to use with the EVF on a GH2 than doing the "hold the camera out in front of you" trick with the GF1. i know panasonic offers the EVF for the GF1 but i never bought one.

just my .02

3. agoglanian

agoglanian Mu-43 Regular

Nov 23, 2010
    Laguna Niguel, CA
    Abram Goglanian
    Yeah I have the EVF and it definitely helps with stability, but it's just so darn small and the resolution isn't that great. It works, but I want more ;)

The GH2 is definitely on my radar for video work in the future.

4. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    I quite like the G1 for the EVF and the price/performance value. Very useful for MF adapted lenses.

5. E-P1, no EVF (obviously) and mostly using the magnified view for critical focus. The only real annoying point is that the magnified view is only available in one particular view mode on the E-P1 which means you lose the function of the ISO, etc buttons. Other than that there is no problem with this setup for MF lenses.

6. agoglanian

agoglanian Mu-43 Regular

Nov 23, 2010
    Laguna Niguel, CA
    Abram Goglanian
    I think the EVF is a critical option for me. I may shop around for a used G1 who knows.

7. I should add that I wasn't recommending the E-P1 as the best m4/3 body for MF lenses, just that it is more than capable of handling them.

8. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    EPL-1 and EPL-2 have one button MF assist and a very good optional VF. I would have thought that puts them at the top of the list.

Gordon

9. EP1-GF1

EP1-GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 12, 2011
    How about getting a DSLR-type loupe for the GF1 screen for the times you want to use manual lenses? That also adds some extra stability with it being up against your face, just like the EVF. Not pretty and a little bulky but then most legacy lenses with an adapter add a significant amount anyway. I'm about to make a small lightweight and maybe foldable version with a cheap plastic loupe lens I got on ebay. If it works I'll take pictures. It'll be even less pretty though!

The in-body IS is very good on my E-P1 and for non stabilised lenses it really helps a lot. Comparing in-body IS with the in-lens OIS of my Lumix 14-140 I got better results with the in-body. Video would be a different matter though as the E-P1 doesn't do IS on video (well, it does but it reverts to digital IS).

10. iliakoltsov

iliakoltsov Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2010
    Paris
    In my opinion there is no good and bad M4/3 , just depends on the way you shoot i prefer having the EVF , some people prefer the Stabilization and looking on the screen , the best way is to try and see what body you feel more comfortable with. Again the EVF can be added to an EP2 or EPL2 which are stabilized . I personally use the good old G1 and find that sometimes with heavy lenses it is too small , again depends on the way you shoot :p .

11. StephenL

StephenL Mu-43 Regular

Sep 1, 2010
    I prefer the GH2/G2/ to the Pens as it's easier to get into and out of magnified view than the Pen, even with the EVF fitted. But the IBIS of the Pen is a plus point for those cameras.

12. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    I have a G1 and E-PL1, which aren't the newest versions. But here's my experience:

The built-in EVF on the G1 is great, but zooming in to focus is a PITA, requiring a couple of button pushes (in an area where a small mistake pushes the wrong button). I still haven't managed to do it without pulling the camera away from my eye and looking for the place to push.

The lack of a built-in EVF on the E-PL1 makes it very difficult to focus. With the addition of the optional VF-2, however, it's fabulous--and the one-touch magnification works great.

So my preference between these two cameras is to use the E-PL1 with the VF-2. In addition, you get IBIS with the Oly which helps a little with some legacy lenses.

13. RonSmith

RonSmith Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 7, 2010
    Michigan
    I started in May 2009 with a G1, then got a GF1, and just recently got the GH2.

Without question, the GH2 is absolutely the best for use of manual focus legacy lenses. The viewfinder is bigger, better and faster, and the one-touch focus assist (which the GF1 also has) is great.

• Like Like x 1
  14. agoglanian

agoglanian Mu-43 Regular

Nov 23, 2010
    Laguna Niguel, CA
    Abram Goglanian
    I thought of this actually. I have a Zacuto Z-finder already for video work on my 5DmkII. Haha that would be just about the furthest thing from portable at that point, but it would be easy to focus! The only downside is that I would have to adhere a plastic frame on the back of the GF1 so I could mount the Z-Finder onto it.

15. agoglanian

agoglanian Mu-43 Regular

Nov 23, 2010
    Laguna Niguel, CA
    Abram Goglanian
    I was not aware that the other models didn't jump into MF assist as easily as the GF1. I don't find it difficult to zoom in, I just find it difficult to even see what's going on sometimes.

I'll look into the EPL2 with the VF2, but I think I'll probably just hold out until I can also buy the GH2. I could easily buy it if I sold just one of my Canon lenses, but I love them all too much ;)

16. everythingsablur

everythingsablur Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 4, 2010
    Toronto, ON
    You would also need to find a GH2... They are in pretty darn short supply if you want a non-grey market unit. :frown:

17. RonSmith

RonSmith Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 7, 2010
    Michigan
    I think it's only the G1 that requires the two-touch focus assist. The GF1 has the one-touch, which is great, but having to press the button on the side of the EVF to switch back and forth with the LCD is a bit of a pain. The GH2, like the G1, as an automatic switch when you put your eye to the EVF.

Yes, I know just how you feel.

18. iliakoltsov

iliakoltsov Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2010
    Paris
    agoglanian it is a mistake they all do , you just need a firmware update

GF1 wih the latest firmware the MF assist appears in the same way as on the G1
    Pen EP1 requires the Latest firmware as well

19. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    The Olympus does give you IS with the older lenses, and it is easier with prime lenses. Also with the VF2 it makes it very easy for MF for critical focus. But that cost more. IS with zoom lens it a bit more tricky as you need to enter the FL of the lens. And with larger bulky lens you will be better off shooting on a tripod, negating the need for IS. So it all depends on what you like, which is a better body for you.

20. OPSSam

OPSSam Mu-43 Regular

Dec 18, 2010
    NC
    Though I am repeating some points, I choose the E-PL1 for IBIS, general ease of use (no shoot w/o lens setting needed), and the placement of the live view zoom button is the best in the PEN series (right where my thumb rests).

I'd like to get my hands on a Panasonis to see what the other side is like though, but for my adapted lenses all I can say is I bought the right camera.