1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Best low-cost M43 camera with viewfinder.

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by nightmaniac, Apr 14, 2014.

1. nightmaniac

nightmaniac New to Mu-43

Apr 14, 2014
    Hi everyone ! I currently own an Olympus e-pl5 and I'm superbly satisfied with the image quality and result I get. The only thing I miss is the Viewfinder on my camera and a good grip. That's what made me start to look to either a custom grip or maybe buy a panasonic camera with the viewfinder included. (I would keep my e-pl5 for it's small size and as a everyday camera.

I wanted to know what is the best option in the below 500$ ( it could be a used camera ) and preferably around 300$ that I could get ? I read somewhere they recommended the gh1 and other places the g5 . What are your experience with those two cameras? Is the image quality as good as my olympus e-pl5 or around? ( the e-pl5 has the same sensor as the omd em5 ) . Dont hesitate to post pictures taken on your camera. How is the viewfinder in those two cameras also. I wanted to buy maybe one of the accessory viewfinder to put on the olympus but having a second camera could be fun when I go on photowalk with my girlfriend.

Thanks for your advices!

ps: im quite new here but your forum and community seems amazing!

2. tino84

tino84 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 29, 2013
    I don't think you'll get something near your e-pl5 quality for under 500$.
    If I were you, I would take an olympus viewfinder, and have pleasure with e-pl5. I use a vf3 with my e-pl5, it's a great combo

3. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    You can get used E-M5s now for around the $500 mark. I's suggest you go that route.

• Like Like x 1
  4. nightmaniac

nightmaniac New to Mu-43

Apr 14, 2014
    One of the reason also that I was curious about the panasonic camera is that the grip seems bigger more options on the body. The em5 seems to be great but I would have to buy the accessory grip and its getting a little high on the price.

when you say I would have a drop in image quality , is it a huge drop or just a little. Is the image quality on the g5 or gh1 or g3 so bad?

5. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    The G3/G5 are great cameras. Unless you need IBIS or above iso 6400, you should be fine.

Sent from my LG-P769 using Mu-43 mobile app

6. nightmaniac

nightmaniac New to Mu-43

Apr 14, 2014
    What about the g1. I could get a g1 for 89$ is that a good deal? Anybody here shooting with it? I know it must be far from the epl5 but is it still a good camera?

7. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    I would get the viewfinder or sell the PL5 and get an OMD. You won't likely be happy with a lesser camera.

8. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    The G1 is 12 MP, the sensor is 1st generation. It will produce nice photos... but there will be a noticeable difference (without pixel peeping) from the EPL5 in all but the best of conditions. I would suggest waiting for a G6 to go on sale. Its really an underrated, feature packed camera: Stills quality about the same as the EPL5, great ergonomics, wifi, focus peaking, articulated screen, touch focus, silent mode, and superb video options, quality, and an external mic input (people call it the GH2.5). The sales seem to happen every few months... and I think we're due. The G5 body only is available at Amazon for $308.95. The G6 was mainly a usability/video upgrade so the G5 has no wifi or peaking, fewer video options, and no external mic input, but will produce stills almost as good (the G6 only has a processor upgrade, its the same sensor). If you are willing to go used, there are many good options. I would look at the G5,G6, EM5,GH2 (or if you get lucky GH3)

9. nightmaniac

nightmaniac New to Mu-43

Apr 14, 2014
    Thanks for all your advices. I think i will consider my option but the gh6 option seems like a good idea. I prefer that than getting a viewfinder accessory because sometimes when we go on photowalk my girlfriend wants to shoot too. She would like having a second camera. I'm usually an olympus and nikon ****** but those panasonic cameras seems like really cool options. Nikon seems to have abandonned the dx and apsc world (not a lot of good prime lenses and no good pro-dx body ) and those olympus with viewfinder are a little to high priced and why all the small grips!!! Kudo's to panasonic to get some really good grips on their mirrorless camera.

10. WasOM3user

WasOM3user Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancashire, UK
    Paul
    We have EPL-3's, G3 and EM-5 in our household.

In terms of picture quality the G3 is closer to the EM-5 ( same sensor as EPL-5) than the EPL-3.

I would suspect the G5 would be even closer particularly if shooting RAW. On JPEG I find the Oly's tend to get the white balance correct more often than the Pana's.

If you can't stretch to the EM-5 (it really is a great camera) then the G5 is probably the best value for money at the moment.

11. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    If you want the same image quality, the E-M5 or E-M10 are the best options. The G5 is a great camera, but the sensor is not quite as good. Plus no IBIS so you'll need to use lenses with OIS if you want stabilization.

12. nightmaniac

nightmaniac New to Mu-43

Apr 14, 2014
    Good to know WasOM. Yeah, it would probably be tough currently to get the em-5 right now since I would have to buy the accessory grip also. I always shoot only in raw so, the g5 would do the job then. How is the Evf in those camera. I never tried the Evf on the em5. I always had a regular viewfinder on my Nikon d90 etc. Does it lag, or is it enough detail to focus manually? I guess the best idea would be to go to a camera store and get a feel of all those camera and evf.

13. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    Just an FYI, the G6 (and G series) are super durable, problem free cameras, but the fit and finish is not the same as the premium models. Every once in a while we get threads where some people say they feel "plasticky". Just so you know what to expect... but they seem to be some of the more reliable cameras (unscientific: based only on threads I see here), they are tough, reliable, and stay that way through extensive use.

14. WasOM3user

WasOM3user Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancashire, UK
    Paul
    The EM-5's EVF is much better than the G3's and from memory I think the G5 is in between. Someone else may be able to confirm this.

If possible I would definitely go and handle the cameras if you can as even the G3 and G5 are quite different (G3 is noticeably smaller).

I find the EM-5 is fine without the grip unless you are going to add a heavy lens but handling is very much a personal thing and why I came to m4/3 rather than Canikon :):)

15. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    The Panasonic viewfinders have a greater viewable area than Em5. I like that , even though Em5 may be a bit brighter or faster refresh , but its not a huge difference IMO .

• Like Like x 1
  16. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    As someone who uses the E-PL5 and G5, the IQ is pretty close at any ISO up to about 1600. Higher than that, the E-PL5 is superior. Since the E-PL5 is basically the same IQ as the E-M5 and E-M10, bear that in mind. Unless using the camera at ISO 3200 or higher was something I expected to do often, I wouldn't have any concerns about using a G5 - particularly now that mint used G5 bodies sell for $200-250, it's a great deal on a camera with not only an EVF, but also a fully articulating screen. The grip and silent mode shutter also come in quite handy if using big legacy telephoto lenses. If you are used to DSLR ergonomics, the G5 is pretty much the cheapest way within Micro 4/3 to get that without really sacrificing a lot on the IQ front.

• Like Like x 2
  17. hookgrip

hookgrip Mu-43 Regular

May 21, 2013
    I would say get an EVF for your PL5 or get the E-M5. The EVF-4 actually has better resolution than the E-M5's EVF, if EVF image quality is important to you.

Going with an older Panasonic body gets you the EVF on a budget, but you lose out on many important features: IBIS, better sensor, etc.

18. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    I see stuff like this all the time. I'm no hardcore Panny FanB*y but the differences in IQ are no where near as drastic as people make it out to be. The E-M10 is a great camera but ergonomics wise does not even compare to the handling of the G series.

• Like Like x 2
  19. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    Agreed on both points. Also, people seem to be forgetting he wants low cost. Maybe you can find a sub $500 EM5 if you are OK using it without the grip (but his post complains about the ergonomics, so maybe not), but with regards to the EM10, for about the same amount of money you can get the better featured and better handling GH3 or GX7.

20. hookgrip

hookgrip Mu-43 Regular

May 21, 2013
    Slightly off topic, but is the handling of the E-M5 really that bad without the optional grip? And if that is in fact true, does that mean the E-M10 is also not very good without the grip?