Best "light" secondary camera...

bassman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
The Bassman
The E-M5.x or E-M10.x are great small cameras (I have the 5.3). I’ll walk around with the 17/1.8 on the 5.3 with Just a wrist strap, it’s so light. Through the 45/1.8 in your pocket and you’re golden.

John King

Member of SOFA
Cameraderie.org or Beaumaris, Melbourne, Australia
Real Name
John ...
Hi all,

See various requests for comparisons between two specific cameras, but I'm looking for something a bit different, more about experiences of existing M43 users.

I switched from the Canon 70D to the Olympus OM-D E-M1 (first Mk1, now Mk2), primarily because I found I was using the Canon less because it weighed substantially more. The thought process worked - I got considerably more interested in photography, learned a lot, bought a lot and life is good. Now I primarily use the 12-40mm Pro as my "go to" and the 40-150mm Pro for telephoto (with the MC-20).

It works great. BUT... even though it's still lighter than my Canon 70D kit, it's by no means light. When I travel, or just hang out, I'm thinking it'd be cool to have a lighter kit. I already have a 45mm/f1.8, was thinking of getting a 25mm/f1.8 and something small like a PEN-F. Besides small and light, it could also serve as a backup, like now for example - I need to bring my camera to get the hot shoe repaired.

Anyone have a similar journey? Any recommendations? Even a "don't get another body because a OM-D E-M1 Mk II is not THAT heavy" :)

Dion
@Dion Houston Sr. , have you thought of using any of the lighter bodies plus the 14-42 EZ with auto lens cap?

I use this lens with my E-M1 MkI when I want to go light.

mumu

Mu-43 All-Pro
Now I primarily use the 12-40mm Pro as my "go to" and the 40-150mm Pro for telephoto (with the MC-20).

It works great. BUT... even though it's still lighter than my Canon 70D kit, it's by no means light. When I travel, or just hang out, I'm thinking it'd be cool to have a lighter kit. I already have a 45mm/f1.8, was thinking of getting a 25mm/f1.8 and something small like a PEN-F. Besides small and light, it could also serve as a backup, like now for example - I need to bring my camera to get the hot shoe repaired.

Anyone have a similar journey? Any recommendations? Even a "don't get another body because a OM-D E-M1 Mk II is not THAT heavy" :)
Back when I was a Nikon APS-C system user, I maintained two sets of zooms: f/2.8 high quality, great performing glass, and smaller, travel-friendly glass. When I made the switch to micro four thirds I didn't want to do the same thing again. So for the f/2.8 zooms, I went with the Panasonic 12-35/2.8 & 35-100/2.8 pairing to form the basis of my lens kit. I also like that they have the same filter size.

As for a backup body, I try to have SLR-style and RF-style bodies that complement each other. Currently that's the G9 with its fixed EVF, weather sealing, and flip-and-twist rear screen, and the GX9 with its tilting EVF, single-axis rear screen, and built-in flash. I choose the GX9 when I need small & light or when I'm doing street photography (which is my most common genre these days) and the G9 is for everything else. And of course, each body backs up the other.

BTW, the only way I could buy a new GX9 here in Canada was to get it as a kit with the 12-60/3.5-5.6. I was going to sell the lens but decided to keep it for those times when I was so concerned about size/weight that I would take the 12-60 over the 12-35 + 35-100 pair.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Legend
If funds allow the EM5 Mkiii would be best from Olympus as it is compact and good, so long as you dont intend to use the tripod socket.
or a G90 from panasonic if you are worried about Olympus but it is not as compact. If your shop has the older G80 they are going cheap these days as well

A spare body is a must to me

Stanga

Mu-43 All-Pro
The G80 is not that small. That's why I used a GX80 for when I needed a smaller camera.

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
There are so many choices. Personally, I now have an EM10.2 plus 17, 25, and 45 lenses as my "light" kit. The camera alone with the 17 is a lovely even lighter option too. I used to have a Pen F, but the EM10.2 does 99% of what the Pen does at less than half the price.

pcr1040

Mu-43 Veteran
Panny GM1 or GM5 are tiny bodies. Too small for me, but they fit the bill here I think.

I second the motion for the GM1 or GM 5. I have GM 5 with two great lenses (Pana 35-100mm f4-) and (Olympus 9-18mm f4-5.6) that fits in my pocket. Beats any cell phone by a mile because it has interchangeable lenses, 16mg sensor. Small, kit can go anywhere my larger kits (Sony A7r3 and Panasonic g9 ) are too large and heavy to carry. Big advantage of m43 is in size of lenses Vs larger sensor formats. And in small body like the GM series.

dougpayne

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
C.D. Payne
My choice for small system is the Canon G1X ii. I use it with the tilting EVF. Larger sensor than M4/3, 24-120mm range, optical image stabilization, and nine-blade aperture.

red_zergling

Mu-43 Veteran
Not an m43 camera but I do want a Pentax Q series camera for the novelty size.

I've also been eying the GM5 and GM1.

Bother these camera series are a bit above what I'm willing to pay at the moment though.

OK, well, I have a used 17mm f/1.8 coming. I think regardless of what I do for extra hardware, besides being small and light, it also gives me a couple more stops at the wider end over my 12-40. So I think it's value-add anyway.

Still undecided about more hardware. I don't really need anything more, but if I buy it'll probably be either a modern cell phone to replace my current OnePlus 5T (either the 8 Pro, or the Microsoft Surface Duo); or an inexpensive body. The main candidate for that right now is the new E-M10 Mk IV. Sensor seems to be decent quality, I like the new panorama mode, and putting the light primes on that seems like a good fit. Then I have my "serious" kit and my "light" kit.

Not going to make a decision any time super soon, as I'm waiting on more info on the Surface Duo, and the new Olympus doesn't come out until September :)

ac12

Mu-43 Legend
OK, well, I have a used 17mm f/1.8 coming. I think regardless of what I do for extra hardware, besides being small and light, it also gives me a couple more stops at the wider end over my 12-40. So I think it's value-add anyway.

Still undecided about more hardware. I don't really need anything more, but if I buy it'll probably be either a modern cell phone to replace my current OnePlus 5T (either the 8 Pro, or the Microsoft Surface Duo); or an inexpensive body. The main candidate for that right now is the new E-M10 Mk IV. Sensor seems to be decent quality, I like the new panorama mode, and putting the light primes on that seems like a good fit. Then I have my "serious" kit and my "light" kit.

Not going to make a decision any time super soon, as I'm waiting on more info on the Surface Duo, and the new Olympus doesn't come out until September :)

That is my setup, EM1 for most shooting, EM10 for light carry.
But, there is just enough difference in the controls that I sometimes get confused when I switch between the cameras.

stratokaster

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Pavel
I have found that for me personally two bodies + two primes are a better combo than one body with a set of heavy zooms.

It's mostly the lenses that account for the size and weight.

Saledolce

Mu-43 All-Pro
The E-M5.x or E-M10.x are great small cameras (I have the 5.3). I’ll walk around with the 17/1.8 on the 5.3 with Just a wrist strap, it’s so light. Through the 45/1.8 in your pocket and you’re golden.

Totally agree on this. EM10ii and the two primes would be my minimalistic pick.

Lumix 12-32 and Oly 40-150R if you have a preference for zoom. Add a Laowa 7.5 and you have a pocketable option for everything.

BamaBoy

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Bob
If you're buying on a budget, EPL5's can be had for peanuts on eBay (compared to GM5) and they are very popular with some as a light body. Pocketable, can take a VF, and apparently better for images than later models ( the reason why I have forgotten....). At the price one can buy them for I would not hesitate to buy some Sugru and and make a really nice grip for one, too.

edit: it's the EPL7 you want, not the 5 :)
I think the sweet spot in the EPL range is the 5... EPLs are light and work well... I have no prob. with so called shutter shock in earlier models... I carry M1, and 2 EPLs with lenses attached in small fanny pack. 45mm and 75mm are absolute gems... 12-40mm gives me a little wide angle and zoom versatility. Just picked up a brand new EPL-1 still in sealed box from the Russian Federation... I need a third job....

Just to follow up with everyone - went to Venice this weekend, and purposely wanted to try out my "new" light kit (my same old OM-D E-M1.2 with the non-pro 17mm and 45mm f/1.8's and my original 45-150mm/f3.5-5.6). I am very happy with the results! It was so much lighter (kept the camera on my neck the whole time with the two unused lenses in my pockets).

My favorite picture from the trip (so far):

PA310110.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

What I found out...

- For short trips when the weather isn't a factor, the light kit is definitely feasible, and I really enjoy not having neck pain from carrying the two pro lenses!
- 17mm works OK for wide. I missed the wide side of the 12-40mm/f2.8 Pro for tall buildings - wide horizontally I have no problem with Panorama Merge in Lightroom. However, I think if I practice more I can get vertical down.

_A010133-Pano.jpg

- Low light performance with the primes is especially nice. Venice weather didn't completely cooperate, but I doubt my f/2.8 Pros would have done any better here... Two stops makes a big difference!

AA310013-Pano.jpg

- HUGE downside - nothing in this kit does birding well :(

Overall, I definitely see using this a lot more. The extra stops are great for many conditions, the 45mm which I was previously using primarily for portraits works well as a lower-range telephoto. I didn't use the zoom very much at all, but it was OK for daytime fixed shots.

This is definitely not a replacement for my "heavy" kit. The 12-40mm/f2.8 Pro and 40-150mm/f2.8 Pro are great lenses, and I have a panorama head and tripod that are perfect for many things. And there's no way I'd trust my E-M1.2 to non-weatherized lenses.

But for situations where I'll be carrying my equipment for a long time, the light kit seems the way to go - after about 9 miles in two days, every part of my body thanks me. I'm open for suggestions on how to tweak the kit :)

Dion

John King

Member of SOFA
Cameraderie.org or Beaumaris, Melbourne, Australia
Real Name
John ...
Dion, I have an E-M1 MkI and suite of lenses for my "light kit" - f/1.8 25, 12-50 macro, 14-42 EZ (with self opening cap) and 40-150R.

E-M1 MkII + 12-100 plus whatever for everything else.

However, I do use the strap over my neck and left shoulder, rather than just as a neck strap. Too hard on my neck otherwise.

Works for me.

Nice photo of the Doggies' Palace (?) too (and yes, I do know it's spelled "Doge's" :rolleyes: ).

ac12

Mu-43 Legend
My light travel kit is an EM10-mk2 + Panasonic-Lumix 12-60/3.5-5.6 + Olympus 17/1.8
Though I would use the EM1 instead, if possible.
The PLumix 12-60 is used 99+% of the time.

I have the 14-42 EZ, but I have never gotten used to working the power zooms.
But that is what I put on the EM10 when I want as light and compact as possible.

But of course, lens selection has to match what and how you shoot. The 12-60 is way too short for a birding lens.

As with John, I rarely use a neck strap, instead I use a PD strap cross over my left shoulder to the camera on my right hip.

As you have learned, having a dual kit, even with duplicate focal lenghts, makes sense.
I will pick whichever camera and lens makes sense for the shoot. There is less compromise to make.
My heavy pro lenses stay at home, I travel with my lighter gear.

Latest threads

Top Bottom