1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Best Lenses for Wide-Angle Macro

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by AL904, Jul 3, 2015.

1. AL904

AL904 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 29, 2012
    Jacksonville Beach, Florida
    Allen Forrest
    A few days ago I purchased and read the e-book, "Wide-Angle Macro: The Essential Guide" by Clay Bolt and Paul Harcourt Davies. IMHO, the book is excellent, and has some great sample photos. However, not surprisingly when they discuss lenses, they are primarily considering Nikons and Canons.

I would really like to shoot some wide-angle landscape photos with a very close flower, insect, or other small object in the foreground and in focus, with the background either in focus or slightly out-of-focus. I tried a few flower shots with my Oly 9-18mm MFT lens, but am a little disappointed with the results. I'm sure that a big part of my problem is that I need more practice.

Can anyone offer some advice as to the best MFT lenses for this type of photography? Samples of your photos would be great? Also, I am considering the new Olympus 8mm f/1.8 Pro Fisheye. Would that lens be a good choice? Should I just stick with my 9-18, and develop my technique?

Many, thanks, in advance!

2. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The Samyang 7.5 fisheye, Olympus 7-14 pro, and 8mm fisheye pro all focus really close.

Examples with the 7.5:
    P3060005.JPG

P4252602e.

The 7.5 is optically excellent, can easily keep up with the new pro one in all the tests I've seen (except maybe that the pro has better diffraction spikes on stopping down due to having a different number of aperture blades). Unless you need f/1.8, weather sealing or AF the 7.5 is a great alternative.

• Like Like x 6
  3. AL904

AL904 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 29, 2012
    Allen Forrest
    Thanks, wjiang! Good advice, and great samples!

4. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi, the 12-50mm and 12-40mm Oly can focus fairly close too.

Barry

5. svenkarma

svenkarma Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 5, 2013
    mark evans
    Also the SLR Magic 12/1.6 to consider.

• Like Like x 1
  6. AL904

AL904 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 29, 2012
    Allen Forrest
    Thanks, svenkarma! I hadn't considered the SLR Magic.

7. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    • Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. AL904

AL904 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 29, 2012
    Allen Forrest
    Thanks, pdk42!

Do you remember what aperture setting you used with the Samyang for this shot?

9. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    No, sorry - I can't remember. I suspect it's wide open, bit I could be wrong

10. AL904

AL904 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 29, 2012
    Allen Forrest
    Not having complete EXIF data is one of the reasons I dislike manual lenses. (I know, I'm very spoiled.)

I'm also considering the Panasonic 7-14mm. I would love to see some shots similar to pdk42's and svenkarma's mushrooms with the Panasonic lens if anyone could post some.

I truly appreciate all of your help!

11. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    wide angle close up or macro? Looks like close up more than macro.

12. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

• Like Like x 2
  13. AL904

AL904 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 29, 2012
    Allen Forrest
    Thanks, tkbslc!

That link has some beautiful shots with that lens. The first three photos (“Giant” Fungi and Snail with Marina Bay Sands) look like exactly the type of shots that I would like to get. However, with only Canon EF, Nikon F, Sony Alpha A, Sony E, & Pentax K mounts available, one would end up having to use an adapter, and operating strictly manually. However, it gives us something else to consider.

14. janneman

janneman Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 6, 2012
    Netherlands
    Jan (John) Kusters
    Another voice for the Samyang 7.5. Probably not for insects, but for flowers, mushrooms and other objects 1 inch+ size, it is great.
    tumblr_ncgb42Hjb31tlfve6o1_1280.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
  16. RAH

RAH Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 1, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Rich
    Wow, love that B&W mushroom shot! I just ordered a Samyang 7.5 fisheye and noticed the amazing minimum focus distance (4 inches!) as opposed to my older Canon-mount Samyang 8mm fisheye (12 inches). So I am anxious to try it out, although I'm not crazy about the idea of rooting around in the dirt under mushrooms! ;-)

• Like Like x 1
  17. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    rooting around in the dirt is the best part of being a wildlife/nature photographer

• Like Like x 2
  18. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    Outstanding, the second shot that is :thumbup: