1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Best lens for point and shoot video...

Discussion in 'Filmmaking' started by DoofClenas, Feb 10, 2013.

1. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    So, I got the 20mm for it great size and sharpness for taking pictures, but the video performance, rather sucks, and that's being kind (focus hunts in and out). Now I'm no expert, and for the most part, my wife who uses the camera will be shooting videos (who is more of the point and shoot variety). How do the other pancake type lenses do with video (I'm referring to the 14mm and 17mm)? I'm wondering now, if I would I have been better off with the 25mm or the new 17mm.

2. juangrande

juangrande Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 2, 2012
    COLORADO
    I shot some video in low light/indoors w/ spotlights on the dancers. It was a belly dancing troop. Used a G3 and a 25mm 1.4 and shot wide open. It constantly focus hunted probably because of depth of focus and the changing contrast. It was that "breathing" kind of hunting, shallow quick focus movement. I was 20' away +/-. Anyway, next time in that situation, I'll probably turn off the autofocus or use a manual lens and just zone focus. I got a 28mm/f2 just to try. An amateur perspective....

I shot outdoors with a 45-175 some snow sledding and that worked well.

3. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    I don't know about Olympus but on Panasonic there is a Continuous auto focus option in the menu. If you turn it off it solves the hunting problem. If you have to refocus you just press and hold the shutter button.

4. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    Unfortunately you cannot use the Magnify function for video like you can for photos. :mad:

5. JoeV

JoeV Mu-43 Regular

Aug 22, 2012
    Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA
    Joe Van Cleave
    One strength of the micro-4/3 format is adapting manual focus lenses, which can be great for video because you can manually pull focus as you shoot.

~Joe

6. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    Manual focus, while it would work for me...will not work for my wife...I'll have to look into the the continuous focus settitng.

7. ApGfoo

ApGfoo Mu-43 Regular

Dec 10, 2012
    Bay Area
    If you're going to keep the continuous auto focus on, then use a shorter focal length like the 14mm. Also Depending if your camera has control over manual settings in video, you can stop it down to a much smaller aperture and keep the focus close to infinity. Hopefully she doesn't care much for shallow depth of field for video.

8. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

AF will always hunt in video! Even $10k camcorders hunt under certain conditions. This is the reason why pros shoot in manual focus. They make a special tool for doing this, it is called a follow focus. On big productions they have a guy who does nothing but focus the lens, he is called a focus puller.

With that said you have several solutions. First is to get and use a follow focus. Second is to set the focus manually and hope the action does not go beyond your DOF. Using a smaller aperture will help in this area. The third solution is to use regular AF and press the shutter half way when you need to refocus{some cameras with touch screen focus will work in video mode too}.

9. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

It works on Olympus bodies too.

10. ntblowz

ntblowz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 13, 2011
    Auckland, New Zealand
    For video you can turn down the aperture so most of the the frame are in focus

11. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Taking the camera off of continuous focus and stopping down the aperture are probably you best options.