1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Best lens for kids birthday

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by rusty, Jul 16, 2012.

1. rusty

rusty Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 10, 2011
    My daughter's birthday party is this weekend. It's at an indoor gym. I'd like to take pictures of the event but am not sure which lens to use. I have the 25mm 1.4 and a 14-42pz. Which would you use? Is this AB excuse for me to get a longer lens? Which?

2. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    Are you able to get on the floor with the kids?

I've been to several kids parties at places like that and they are typically underlit ... I'd go for the 25mm if you can get in & among the kids. My 14-140mm was definitely too slow and the 100-300mm was barely adequate.

3. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    My daughter will also have a big party in a few weeks. I am thinking the Panny 14 and 20 should be enough to cover most situations, but I'll bring the 45 too. The lenses with longer reach are a bit slow, but I may bite the bullet and resort to using them with flash. (Personally, my biggest problem with that approach is I don't have a native long-reach lens :biggrin: .)

4. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    I'd just bring both, they're not exactly back breaking to cart around :smile: The 25mm will probably work best if it's not brightly lit, but if there is enough light then the zoom's extra range might come in handy. Personally though, I'd be expecting to use the 25mm most of the time and if I only brought one of those two lenses, it'd be that one.

As far as getting other lenses... if you're going to be not in amongst the kids, the Oly 45mm f1/.8 is a great short telephoto lens for portraits and people. Mine doesn't get used all the time, but it finds its way onto the camera for most events and parties. I wouldn't buy one just for a single event, but the 45mm f/1.8 is really nice to have around in general, and takes stellar portraits and candid shots when you have a little distance to work with.

5. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    I agree, take both but seriously consider the Only 45mm.

6. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    The zoom will be good for group shots, and the 25/1.4 will do well for just about everything else, so you have the right tools for that job. I don't think you need another lens, but the 45/1.8 would be nice for a bit more reach on some shots.

7. arentol

arentol Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2012
    Use the excuse to get the 12-35! :)

Seriously though, bring both. But more importantly, use this as an excuse to get the 45 f/1.8 and/or 14 f/2.5. If you did get all three you would have a great prime trio for general personal events and travel that would work for you in almost any situation and lighting.