1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Best lens + extension tube combos

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Superstriker#8, Dec 25, 2013.

1. Superstriker#8

Superstriker#8 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 24, 2013
    What (wider than 35mm actual fl) native lenses work best with extension tubes?

2. photo_owl

photo_owl Mu-43 Regular

Nov 8, 2013
    hate to answer a question with a question but -

1. work (best) at what?
    2.(work) best in which way?

if you are taking in terms of simple magnification, the answer is simple - pick the one that has the highest magnification factor in the first place!

3. Superstriker#8

Superstriker#8 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 24, 2013
    Work as in autofocus correctly, still maintain optical quality, and such.

4. Andym72

Andym72 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 4, 2013
    Reading, UK
    I'm only aware of the Kenko extension tubes still able to AF correctly. As for optical quality, extension tubes have no optics, so the optical quality depends on the lens you put on the front. Extension tubes enlarge the image circle, so they have 2 effects:

- Only the centre part of the image thrown by the lens is visible to the sensor, so the lines per mm resolution is reduced. So you need a lens that is rated highly for this in the first place.

- the light from the lens is more "spread out" so the area that falls on the sensor gets less light. This has implications for exposure.

The Kenko tube set is a 10mm and 16mm. If you use both stacked, then you'd get about 1:1 magnification at minimum focus distance with the Sigma 30mm, and more than 1:1 with the Panny 25mm. However, the subject would be so close to the front of the lens (around 3-5cm) that you would have problems lighting it.

5. photo_owl

photo_owl Mu-43 Regular

Nov 8, 2013
    optical quality is unaffected by extension tubes

auto focus is more complex, involving the camera body rather than the lens and, of course, requiring the extension tubes themselves to have the appropriate electronics?

you will need a good lens though

edit - Andy has put it better while I was typing!

6. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Good points from Andy. There are Chinese extension tubes with the electrical contacts available for about 1/2-1/4 the price of Kenko, so they should also do AF. I have a set on order.

The shorter the focal length, the bigger magnification is possible, but like mentioned above, the closer you have to place the camera to the subject. This can make it more tricky to get the lighting you desire, but not impossible. Experiment.