Best hotshoe flash for GX7

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by kadamnation, Mar 5, 2014.

1. kadamnation

kadamnation Mu-43 Regular

Feb 13, 2013
    Boston, MA
    I'm a flash beginner, but after getting used to using my GX7's pop-up flash for fill I think I'd like to upgrade to an external unit. I've been using fill flash mainly for candids of friends and family, indoors and out; I do photograph some artwork and jewelry for my girlfriend though and I've heard flash can help there as well.

Reading through some of the threads I'm a little confused by the brands and models of flash, and haven't been able to find a "where should I start" kind of post. My goal is to have the flash not completely dwarf my GX7, and to be able to rotate the head for more bounce flexibility. Should I be looking at the panasonic 360r/olympus 36r? What's the difference between that and the olympus 50r?

Thanks for any help y'all can offer!

2. nsd20463

nsd20463 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 30, 2011
    Santa Cruz, CA
    You can find the manuals for all the OEM flashes on their respective websites. That will tell you more than you want to know.
    You should also look at Metz and Nissin, who both make flashes with M4/3 (same as 4/3) TTL just like the OEM flashes.

IME with a GF1 (which has similar body size and weight as GX7) any on-camera flash is going to feel top-heavy. It's rather unavoidable since the flash needs large, heavy battery(ies) to run long enough.