1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Best High Value 35ishmm option?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by demiro, Oct 2, 2014.

1. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    So, you want to shoot at FL of 35-40mm. Good low light performance. Fun camera to use. Mostly casual snaps of people in less than ideal lighting. You also want high value (yeah, that means "cheap". What do you choose?

I have three contenders in mind:

The venerable GF1 + 20/1.7 combo. $325 used. Not great in low light, especially vs newer tech, but a pairing that always seemed to make me happy (both times I owned it). Not sure if nostalgia makes me believe the IQ is better than it actually was though.

Canon EOS-M + 22/2. $300 used, though they occasionally pop up new for less than that. Great IQ, especially considering the price. Opposite of GF1 for me, in that I did not enjoy my brief ownership experience.

Fuji X100. Always back to the X100 for me. $500 used. The clear winner in my mind in terms of output and user experience, but $500 slides to the north end of "value" category for me.

What do you all think? Which would you choose and why? Other ideas are welcome, but consider the $500 price point the absolute max.

Thanks.

2. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    You say "less than ideal lighting". I would consider GX1 instead of GF1 in that case. Not that much more these days.

• Like Like x 1
  3. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Why would you consider spending money on something you already had and didn't enjoy? Nix the Canon

Go with a newer sensor but if the first gen MFT sensor is still in considered then I would go with something that is stabilized.

• Like Like x 1
  4. demiro

Nov 7, 2010
    Good point.

5. demiro

Nov 7, 2010
    Well, I know I didn't give it much of a chance, but still probably not a good idea to revisit it. The IQ-to-$ proposition is attractive, but that's pretty much it I'm afraid.

6. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    I sold my first GF1 about 6 months ago, along with a 14mm f2.5 and the GMW1 0.79 converter. I kept my GH1 and some other lenses, as I felt that there was little that the GF1 would do that the GH1 wouldn't.

Then I acquired a 20mm f1.7 and it was such a great experience for me (unlike say my Sigma 30mm, which was nice but not compact enough on the GF1) that I bought another GF1 just to go with the 20mm ... then naturally I have again bought the 14mm and the wide converter again.

I've used a OM-D and ... well ... if I'd never owned the G1 (or perhaps started on it) I'd probably like it ... but I have owned the G1 (and GH1) and to me the lack of articulating screens detracts from the use so much as to make the puzzling and frustrating menu system a giveup.

I keep coming back to the GF1 because (like the G1 and GH1 before it) its a system that works so well for me. The arrangement of buttons and dials is great and with the 20mm on the front (and the 14 and the 0.79 in a small padded bag) its better to me than any other combo as a travel camera.

With GF1's selling for $70 from time to time on KEH its an irresistable combo.

I personally don't have any interest in OIS or IBIS for stills as I have good shutter technique (from decades without it) and know that OIS won't help if your shutter speed is too low and people move.

from this blog post:
    http://cjeastwd.blogspot.com/2013/12/image-stabilization.html

13483932465_ff1e9feef5_c.

Ohh and on IQ, to me the main improvements in IQ are in RAW vs in camera JPG, so when I put my GH1 up against an OMD I found not much in it ...

http://cjeastwd.blogspot.com/2014/05/generations-gh1-vs-e-m5.html

so go grab the GF, you know you want to ;-)

• Like Like x 1
  7. demiro

Nov 7, 2010
    About the GF1, you are right; I do want it (again). I mostly agree with you about IS as well. When I bought my first E-M5 I remember shooting in my semi-dark office and just marveling at the quality I could get because of the IBIS. But reality soon crept in. I don't actually shoot static items is half-dark rooms. So as amazing as the IBIS is, it is not quite as useful as it appears.

8. tomservoca

tomservoca Mu-43 Regular

Jul 17, 2010
    Calgary, Alberta
    Me? I'd grab a used LX5 or LX7
    My LX7 never leaves my jacket/vest pocket

• Like Like x 1
  9. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    What about the Olympus side of things? A used EP3 with 17mm f2.8 might come in around the same price range with ibis.
    GX1•EP1•GF3•17/2.8•30/2.8

• Like Like x 1
  10. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    Tomservoca: My LX7 never leaves my jacket/vest pocket.

Got a lot of photos of the inside of your pockets, then? :)

• Like Like x 1
  11. demiro

Nov 7, 2010
    I considered that sort of option as well. It would probably come down to the Fuji X10 or Sony RX100 for me. But I think I want the prime set up.

12. demiro

Nov 7, 2010
    Not a bad idea, I do like Oly JPEGs, but I think I'd go with the GF1 or GX1 + 20/1.7. Will have to think on that one some more.

13. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I have the GX1 and recently picked up an EP1 on a deep discount. I really like it, even given its antiquity and its foibles. I do like the IBIS as well, even though it's less effective than subsequent generations.