1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Best HDR settings for EM10 mark ii

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Ankit Jain, Apr 17, 2019.

1. Ankit Jain

Ankit Jain Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 4, 2017
    Ankit Jain
    Hi,

Can anyone share best HDR settings for olympus EM10 mark ii. I will be using Kit lens which is not very fast.

I have using google pixel app on my mobile phone & it gives very nice results. Is there a way to replicate such results using in camera settings?

I have found a video on youtube where user has shared some results of HDR grading. Is there in camera setting to do the same?

Thanks,
    Ankit

2. doogie

doogie Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2016
    Hi I have an EM10 Mk2 also, after playing around with a Google Pixel camera app on my phone (Gcam) I have been thinking the same thing.

Not had chance to test yet but the EM10 Mk2 has two built-in HDR modes, HDR1 and HDR2.

HDR1 is supposed to fairly subtle and HDR2 might be too processed. You can also bracket shots and use suitable software on a PC to create a HDR image from several RAW files.

In both cases it's advised to use a tripod. A Google Pixel or similar has a lot more processing power and can compensate for some movement, traditional cameras aren't at this level yet (imagine if they were!).

3. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team Subscribing Member

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    It's not necessary to use a tripod for the in-camera HDR modes. You'll get better results though by shooting a 3- or 5-stop exposure bracket in raw and then stacking in LR or whatever PP works for you.

4. tkbslc

tkbslc Super Moderator

There is not a way to get it in camera like phone cams can do. They just have so much more processing power (which is why they cost so much while having a tiny sensor and lens). You can shoot an exposure bracket with fast burst mode on for daylight shots handheld or use a tripod at night. Use Photoshop or similar to merge.

5. Mack

Mack Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 14, 2018
    I've shot hand-held in HDR 1 with the E-Mi Mark II. I used it indoors as I thought I needed more dynamic range and it turned out it worked really well. The last of the three shots seemed like several seconds while standing there, but once done the body assembled them all (i.e. "Busy....") into one shot. Don't know if the 10 does it in body though and if it is restricted to their other bodies.

The HDR 1 photos are in this thread: Lens hood for museums.

6. exakta

exakta Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Jun 2, 2015
    I have the original E-M10 and usually prefer HDR2 over HDR1 (I often try both).

Even if you shoot RAW + JPEG, you only get one RAW file so if you want to do HDR in post rather than in the camera you need to use exposure bracketing.

7. coffeecat

coffeecat Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Aug 4, 2012
    SW England
    Rob
    I have an E-M10ii. I always use 3 shot bracketing, usually +/- 1 stop unless it's really extreme.

But I didn't realise it even did in-camera HDR - I'll have to check that out. Maybe I should have had a look in the manual once or twice!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.