1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Best gloves for winter photography?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by kadamnation, Oct 31, 2013.

1. kadamnation

kadamnation Mu-43 Regular

Feb 13, 2013
    Boston, MA
    As we enter November it's finally getting noticeably chilly here in New England, and the gloves I own are definitely not going to work for manipulating knobs and dials :(

Do any of y'all have recommended gloves for photography in colder weather?

(apologies if this should go somewhere else in the forums, gloves seemed more like an "accessory" than anything else!)

2. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    • Like Like x 1
  4. I had (still have) a pair of good quality gloves that I used to be able to use on my old Canon 50D but when I tried them last year with the E-M5 I had no feel for what button I was pressing on the directional pad. Early this year I bought a pair of foldover mittens which worked great. Because you can expose your fingers you can still work the touchscreen as well.

5. jfdana

jfdana Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2013
    South Portland, ME
    Having spent a fair amount of time outside in the winter, glove technology has changed remarkably (what hasn't) over the past decade. In the old days, the rule of thumb was a silk liner under a heavy insulated glove. The silk liner was there to be able to adjust gear without frostbite, with the glove providing the warmth.

Now soft-shell is the way to go. Windproof, stretchy, water-resistant and (reasonably) warm. If needed, you can buy an outer shell for extra warmth and protection when you're not actively shooting.

Google "soft-shell gloves" and you'll find lots of good choices. Several have material in the finger tips that allow you to use a touchscreen. I'd skip photoshops and look at REI, EMS, Mountain Gear and such.

6. jamespetts

jamespetts Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2011
    London, England
    I use fleece lined leather gloves. I find that I can operate the E-M1 (save for the touch screen) with these without much difficulty. Smaller cameras might be more difficult (this was not possible with the E-P3).

7. RFARRENPHOTO

RFARRENPHOTO New to Mu-43

Jan 31, 2014
    Boston USA
    I moved to New England four years ago and this year I finally nailed my glove/mitten set up for taking landscape photos during the winter! If you are interested I did a write up of the gear I use on my blog on best winter photography gloves, not had any problems at all even when it's well below freezing out!

• Like Like x 2
  8. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Well, it is one year later and I am still struggling with the right combination for my Raynaud's Syndrome. Most thin "gloves made of stretch fleece or similar synthetic fabrics seem to isolate my fingers, and as my fingers have absolutely no circulation or heat in them, isolating them only serves to keep them cold. But, I seem to be getting a bit closer to a workable solution. First, I purchased these hand warmers: http://www.amazon.com/EnergyFlux-4400mAh-Rechargeable-Double-Sided-External/dp/B006Q5ACKG . These were not cheap, but so far they have been the best warmers I have found, but they are mostly used in my pockets or held in my hand. In conjunction with them, I have found that very thin liners that allow them to easily transmit heat seem to work well for me. I am currently using the Dakine Scirocco liners, but will probably be trying out some fine wool liners that allow me to easily access to my cameras' dial and controls. It seems a bit unorthodox, but it does allow me time to shoot for brief periods.

--Ken

9. carbonbianchi

carbonbianchi New to Mu-43

Jan 31, 2014
    Best gloves I've used for photography in the UK have been by a company called stealth gear. They have neoprene ends in the thumb and forefinger that you can poke your fingertips through to manipulate dials whilst the rest of your hand stays warm. They are waterproof and warm.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  10. 2mnycars

2mnycars Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2012
    Toronto
    DaveL
    I have used a horsey glove for a couple of years.
    SSG "10 below"
    I understand that it is used by local sulky (sp?) drivers.
    Great!
    Dave

11. Mr Hahn

Mr Hahn Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 9, 2010
    SLC, Utah
    Nate
    Another option would be hunting or ice fishing gloves.

There's this style with mitten caps that cover all of your fingers:
    http://www.amazon.com/Scent-Lok-Tim...=1392011849&sr=1-6&keywords=Bowhunting+Gloves

And these that take hand warmers in the mitten caps:
    http://www.amazon.com/Heat-Factory-...1392012483&sr=8-8&keywords=photography+gloves

And this style with caps that come off the thumb and index finger individually:
    http://www.amazon.com/Glacier-Glove-Premium-Neoprene-Fishing/dp/B002N0PV8G/ref=pd_sim_sbs_sg_4

The links are just to give you an idea of what to look for, lots more options available from many outdoor hunting/fishing stores.

• Like Like x 1