Best for Street 12 vs. 20 vs. 17 vs. 12-35

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by kick.push, Nov 26, 2012.

1. kick.push

kick.push New to Mu-43

Nov 26, 2012
    Hi there,

I'm new here. I haven't found a similar thread here.. so I hope this one is not redundant.

I have the E-M5 and the Pana 20 1.7 + Oly 45 1.8

I want to change my line up, though. Basically, I want a good street lens and a good portrait lens. As for the street lens, I like the 20 1.7 - it has a good focal length, is fast and small. But I barely use the 45 1.8 because I find the the focal length to long. Therefore, I'd love to exchange it for the Pana 25 1.4.

Now, the Pana 20 and 25 have a very similar focal length. This makes me think, the difference between my street and my portrait lens wouldn't be big enough.

Now the question is: Should I exchange both, the 20 and the 45, for, lets say the 12 (or upcoming 17) and 25? Or maybe just one lens - the 12-35?

What do you think is the best street lens and why?
    12mm vs. 17mm vs. 20mm vs. 12-35mm - let the battle begin!!

2. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    17mm for snap focus

Why not the:
    12mm - perhaps too wide (for taste)
    20 mm - slow AF, perhaps unusable MF
    12-35 mm - too clunky
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Papadoc

Papadoc Mu-43 Regular

Jul 12, 2012
    Check out the "Real Street Thread" and study the photos, noting which lenses were used. You'll get an idea about which lenses made the images you most like.
  4. kick.push

kick.push New to Mu-43

Nov 26, 2012
  5. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    :2thumbs: bingo!.

I have the P20 and the P12-35 the latter is my main traveling lens. when im street shooting i take the P20 which sometimes ive missed some shots for the slow AF. but i can definitely leave with it. also in street shooting "sharpness" is not a necessity for me.

But im waiting on the O17. that looks like the "best" street shooter for the format specially for the snap focus ring. also lets not forget the P14. thats also fast and a good candidate and the cheapest option here.
  6. Jodie_harsh

Jodie_harsh Mu-43 Regular

Oct 13, 2012
    I had the lenses you speak of and ended up selling the 20mm for the 25mm. The focal length and extra stop is a definite benefit for me.

I sold the 45mm (and am actually selling another brand new one) as the focal length doesn't work for me.

My advise is go out and shoot. See what you feel comfortable with. If I was in your position I would sell the both lenses and get the 25mm and a 14mm or 17.5mm / 17mm.
  7. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    From what I've read people generally like 17 and 25 as a pair.

Personally I might go for 17 and 45 as a pair.

Whatever works for you!

We still don't know what kind of a lens the 17/1.8 would be like. I think everyone would agree that we're all waiting impatiently for its release.

You would have to be a really good photographer to make the 12/2 work consistently. If you can, props on ya!
  8. spinyman

spinyman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 19, 2010
    San Diego
    I find my 25 to be too long for street, and the 20 too slow to focus.I use my 14 almost all the time because it focuses fast and I can get in close and still get background in.It's dirt cheap also.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The Pan. 14mm is also a good choice. It focuses quickly and accurately {much better than the kit lenses do}. It also renders colors very nicely and is quite sharp. At least this is my impression, I have only had mine for a couple of weeks. I picked up mine as a brand new kit takeout for under $200.

There is also the new Oly. 15mm cap lens although it is rather slow so would only work in good light. But since it is fixed focus there would be NO AF lag.
  10. Mogul

Mogul Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2012
    Many street shooters like to use wide angle lenses, ranging from 21-35mm. The Noktor 12mm f/1.6 by SLR Magic will give you a 24mm equivalent fast lens. If you can use manual focusing effectively, the size and price may be just what you need. Note that this is a heavy lens.
  11. markokompic

markokompic Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 10, 2012
    I have exactly same lenses, and as you, I want to upgrade my kit. The only difference is that I like Oly45 and use it for portraits of my kid.

I have not decided which lens to get, as I have read that Pana25 is not significantly better than Pana20 (with bigger size and rattlesnake problems), Oly12 is too expensive for me due to significant sample variation and related risk (it is very difficult for me to return purchased lens) and maybe too wide due to distortion. Oly17 is upgrade only in terms of AF, so I can not justify upgrade price.

Therefore, I'm currently considering Oly75 mostly because fantastic IQ. Although I would suggest to take some of the recent deals on Oly12, if you can get good sample it really is a great street lens.
  12. kick.push

kick.push New to Mu-43

Nov 26, 2012
    thanks for all your advice! I think I will go for the 25mm instead of the 45mm (dont get me wrong, the 45mm is a great lens. but it just does not suite my way of taking pictures). I stick to the 20mm for now and wait till the 17mm is out, so people can report on their experiences.. And maybe there will be some used 17mm-s on sale after Chrismas ;)

edit: so... 45mm 1.8 anybody? :)
  13. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I don't like the 25 for street. I'm partial to the 14 for it's compact design and relatively fast focusing.