1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Best focus stacking app for iOS is...?

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Quadna71, Feb 15, 2019.

1. Quadna71

Quadna71 Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

May 25, 2016
    What are people using? Is Affinity Photo the way to go? Something else out there?

Scenario: I'm traveling in the next few weeks and want to pack light. That means the iPad goes and not the laptop. I'm bringing the 17/1.8 and the 60/2.8 macro as my two lenses and figure the 60 almost counts as 3 with the macro capabilities. If I do happen to find something interesting for macro use, is Affinity what is generally used? I see other apps available, but some of them are oriented around using the iOS device to actually take the pictures and then stack them immediately afterwards. But I'd rather try my hand with my Oly macro lens, import the jpeg via OI.Share, then stack those images. What do you think?

2. Apologies - deleted my post as I misunderstood OP.

3. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    We travel with iPad Pros. We use them to store the raw images plus a copy goes on a WD Wireless Passport. We only cull on the iPads. Even the iPad Pro does not have the resources of our iMacs (screen real estate, CPU, GPU, memory, storage). Plus most of our Lr and Ps plugins (ie Topaz Studio) are not available on IOS. When Ps for IOS is available later this year, perhaps then we could do much the same processing as we do today on the iMacs. Affinity Photo is not part of our workflow.

4. Quadna71

Quadna71 Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

May 25, 2016
    Thanks for the response...but did you have a recommendation towards an app that can do focus stacking? That's my goal with this thread. Thanks! :thumbup:

5. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    I use Photoshop on MacOS right now. No stacking on my IOS devices. If focus stacking will be in Photoshop for IOS, then I would do any needed on my iPad with Photoshop for IOS. I wish Adobe would release Ps for IOS soon!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Mike Wingate

Mike Wingate Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 21, 2017
    Altrincham
    Mike Wingate
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Have you contacted Serif (Affinity) directly on this. They are usually very good about replying. Imo the Affinity photos for iPad is one of the most complete iPad photo editing apps available. You could try directly on the Affinity Forum as well. If you already have Affinity Photo for iPad there’s now sense really looking elsewhere.

Like @mcasan@mcasan While travelling I also use the WD Passport Wireless drive for transferring my SD cards. Then use Affinity Photo to edit a few for transfer to a shared iCloud account for family and friends. Truthfully, AP can do most things you’d want to do. Check out the link that @Mike Wingate@Mike Wingate posted as I’m sure the excellent tutorials will provide a very thorough answer too.

• Like Like x 1
  8. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    For me the huge problem with Affinity Photo is the raw handling. When you do basic edits in the raw module you export the image into the photo module. You can not go back into the raw module and complete reedit the raw image the same as before you exported it. At least with Lr or ACR I can export the edited raw image as a smart object into Photoshop and at any later time revisit the raw editing. Hopefully that will all be possible on the IOS versions of Photoshop and ACR.

9. I know you've mentioned this before, and it's perhaps because my main editor is AS Exposure X4... but I do use Affinity Photo and I'm not sure why there is a problem with the RAW. Perhaps I'm just not reading your responses correctly, but when in AP I can go back and edit the RAW as long as I've saved it in AP. If I export it then certainly I will be sending a (larger) Tiff, .psd or whatever it is that I've exported it as... but my original RAW file remains intact for editing in other apps if I wish. I never lose my RAW... I can however go back and re-edit the RAW edits I've done in AP... as long as I've first saved it as a native AP file (.afphoto). If I've done the edit using AP as a plugin (i.e. Edit-In Affinity Photo from within Exposure X4) then once sent back to EX4 I will be working with a flattened file, without the layers. Perhaps there is another way but in the meantime it works for me.

When I'm travelling I don't intend to spend much time editing, so I use Affinity Photo for iPad as a stand alone editor for the purposes described in previous post... for sharing quick edit jpgs with family and friends.... just as others might use SnapSeed or Genie (as i once did before AP4iPad). btw. I also use the iPad app, FileBrowser to move files etc as it seems to have no issues with Raw files when doing so. The WD app that came with the Passport Wireless drive was not very useful imo.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.