1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Best flash trigger?

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by JoJo, Aug 24, 2014.

1. JoJo

JoJo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    JoJo
    What do you think is the most dependable remote flash radio trigger? Price is not a consideration but non dedication to a particular camera brand is.

So far it looks like Pocket Wizard is leading the pack!

2. inkista

inkista Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 13, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Yes, PocketWizard would be the most dependable, they've built their reputation on that.

But. You do realize that if you go with the manual triggers (i.e., if you want to go non-brand-dedicated, you cannot have TTL or high-speed sync) from PocketWizard that your flashes need to have sync ports, right? The PlusX and Plus III don't attach to a flash hotshoe. I.e., if you have an FL-600R, then you also have to get a hotshoe-to-sync port adapter, as well as a sync cable. And that would be per flash.

There are reasons hobbyist shooters are going super-cheap with the Yongnuo YN-560-TX with the YN-560iii flashes for off-camera gear with mft. The flashes are cheap (~US$70), the receivers are built in, and the transmitter can actually remotely control the power level and zoom of the flashes from the camera. While PW certainly beats YN triggers on range and reliability, if you are setting that flash 200m away, you're going to have to trot those entire 200m and back if you want to adjust the power level or make sure you've got an assistant with you. If you put that light inside an Apollo softbox, you're going to have to open up that softbox to get to the flash every time you want to make a setting adjustment. And you'll have to have cart along the triggers, cables, and extra batteries.

There are tradeoffs for pro-level reliability.

• Like Like x 1
  3. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    I've been using Radio Popper JrX Studio units for as long as they have been out (a few years now). Very reliable, great range. The JrX system will allow for Canon and Nikon flashes with quench pins to remote control the power from the transmitter with dials. There is an adapter required, but it is a nice system.
    Worth the look.

4. JoJo

JoJo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    JoJo
    Thanks for the input. I just ordered some USA products for testing. I will report.