Best Flash Photography book?

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by supermaxv, Feb 8, 2012.

1. supermaxv

supermaxv Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 20, 2011
    I just ordered my first off camera flash (a FL-36R), and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for a first book on technique. I saw that Bryan Peterson had a book out (Understanding Flash Photography), but the reviews indicate that he doesn't cover TTL at all which doesn't strike me as too helpful. Thanks!

2. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    You'll be a better photographer if you master manual flash.:thumbup:

• Like Like x 2
  3. supermaxv

supermaxv Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 20, 2011
    Touche! As someone who evangelizes the word about the ease of manual focusing I should have known I set myself up for that.

4. dijitil

dijitil Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 7, 2012
    Santa Rosa Beach, FL
    The hot shoe diaries is awesome.

5. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    If you haven't yet, you should check this out.

Strobist

Fred

• Like Like x 2
  6. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    Neil Van Niekerk is awesome. He has a blog: http://neilvn.com/tangents/

And has put out a couple of books about both on- and off-camera flash.

That said, he does work in manual most of the time (both the camera, and the flash).

I paid extra for a TTL flash, but actually I use it in manual most of the time, because I'm doing bounce flash or I'm doing a studio setup with stands and light modifiers and such.

• Like Like x 1
  7. foto2021

foto2021 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 5, 2011
    SE England
    I learnt most of what I know about flash photography from Thom Hogan's "Nikon Flash Guide".

It is now out of print and probably not much use to people using Olympus flash guns on Micro Four Thirds cameras, but it was an exceptional book. It was simply and clearly written yet comprehensive and very detailed.

If something similar was available for Micro Four Thirds, I would buy it in an instant.

8. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

+2

9. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Neil Van Niekerk. Read his blog as per sprinke's link.

I bought his books and his blog entries contain a lot of the same info.
    What I like about Neil's stuff is he does both TTL and manual.

There's a time and place for both.

10. supermaxv

supermaxv Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 20, 2011
    Thanks again for the suggestions. The Peterson book is much more helpful than I thought it would be - it was much easier than I thought to go completely manual with the flash (as well as the camera). The photography inside hotshoe diaries was pretty awesome but I didn't find it as useful as a first primer.

• Like Like x 1
  11. kindamay

kindamay New to Mu-43

May 24, 2012
    Very Great words! It reminded me of the sentence as "The world is not the lack of beauty, but a lack of discovery"!

12. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    Light: Science and Magic.

• Like Like x 3
  13. saud

saud Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 5, 2012
    Best Flash Photography book

It is now out of print and probably not much use to people using Olympus flash guns on Micro Four Thirds cameras, but it was an exceptional book. It was simply and clearly written yet comprehensive and very detailed.

14. fljoe

fljoe Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2011
    FL
  15. rhoydotp

rhoydotp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Toronto, Ont
    rpamparo
    most of the time, TTL doesn't need any manual intervention so why even bother writing about it ... i think he even mentions on the book the reason why he uses TTL every once in a while but due to incosistencies with lots of white/black images, he opts to use manual mode. it kinda makes sense especially if you already know how to do it manually :)

16. veereshai

veereshai Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    Arlington, VA
    Can't recommend that enough. My lighting has improved so much after understanding the family of angles. It's a life saver if you are into lighting :smile:.

17. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    +1
    amazing book...

18. shepx13

shepx13 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2012
    Tyler, TX
    Ken

+2. Once you understand how light works, you can work light no matter where you are.

19. Making Light parts 1 and 2 by Piet Van den Eynde.

Ebooks selling for 5$ each and published by Home - Craft & Vision and David DuChemin.

20. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    I had thought that book was about fishing, then I realized it didn't say Family of Anglers.

That one I read and also Neil Van Niekerk. Niekerk's I practiced a while, then did a Sweet 16 to some decent effect. I have extra of the black foam sheets.