Best Flash for OM-D?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by digitalandfilm, Sep 25, 2012.

1. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    I would like to get some real-world recommendations for a flash that works seamlessly with the OM-D.

Which flash is the best for the OM-D and why?
  2. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    The Oly wireless TTL flashes are:

There's no such thing as "best"...there's only best for YOUR needs. For instance when doing portraits in a studio I'll use a "monolight" which is a large flash that plugs into the wall outlet, and requires more thought to operate.
  3. Delphian2001

Delphian2001 New to Mu-43

Jul 24, 2012
    I have both FL-600r and FL-300r. For my shooting, the 600 gives me much better results at the cost of being bigger and heavier.
  4. HappyFish

HappyFish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 8, 2012
    FL600 is a great small flash proportioned like a full size flash on a DSLR
    what I like is you can rotate the head back and bounce behind and to the side of you to get some nice light
    the video light works well for its design

great little product IMHO and worth the $300

I dont expect it to bounce off 30 foot ceilings etc... but for a small travel setup ! two thumbs up

the little pop up one you put on is fine for snapshots ? the two together allows you some fun to do off camera lighting for fmaily and small things dont expect it to behave like radio triggers or canon 600 flash !
  5. dcassat

dcassat Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2011
    I'm certainly interested in possible alternatives to the Oly flashes and have heard the Nissen is a good one. Are there others that people like out there?
  6. arch stanton

arch stanton Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2012
    Hi Dan, I'm having great fun with a cheap Nissin di466 and ebay off-camera TTL cable - it's the bargain basement option but seems to be a great start in playing with flash. Full TTL bounce flash works just fine on my e-pl3, I just hold the flash in one hand.