Best flash for GH3 (with wireless triggering)?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by ajamils, Dec 24, 2012.

1. ajamils

ajamils Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 20, 2012
    Richmond, Texas
    I am looking for a good flash (with wireless triggering) for my GH3. I have used Olympus FL600 and wasn't too thrilled with it using at a wedding. So I am looking for a more powerful flash with faster recycle.

Any suggestion?

2. ajamils

ajamils Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 20, 2012
    Richmond, Texas
    Any suggestion?

3. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    My understanding is you can use at least the Oly FL600R wireless flash or the new Panasonic FL360L wireless unit.

Not sure what other units are compatible and I don't use wireless flash at the moment so I can't provide more detailed feedback. Hopefully someone with some experience can chime in. Good luck with your search!

• Like Like x 1
  4. ajamils

ajamils Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 20, 2012
    Richmond, Texas
    What about a good flash without the wireless triggering? Any suggestion?

5. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Sorry - I'm the wrong person to ask. I only have a FL600R and I've only used it a handful of times for bounce flash playing around at home. I tend to use available light since I'm not yet well versed in the fine art of strobe photography :smile:

6. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    I believe that you can use any of the Olympus wireless (four thirds/micro four thirds) flash guns because the wireless protocol used in the GH3 has been licensed from Olympus by Panasonic
    That being the case you should be able to use the FL36R (R for wireless compared to the simple FL36 without wireless) which is available new and used on ebay for very reasonable prices these days. This is a tilt / swivel bounce head design almost identical to the Panasonic FL360 (not wireless )
    I have just bought the New FL360 LE for my GH3 which is more expensive but I got the 30% discount from Lumix Lifestyle which meant it wasnt too much more than a standard FL360 but runs off of 4 batteries rather than 2 which should mean faster charging / cycling between shots and also has the benefit of a video light built in which Ive not yet tried
    The Olympus FL50R (again R stands for the wireless version) is a bit larger with more batteries I believe and will also fit and work (it is a bit too large for my liking when mounted on an M43 camera though
    Please ensure that you check my info before purchase by contacting Panasonic or researching further online perhaps
    Hope this helps
    Regards
    Rob

7. ajamils

ajamils Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 20, 2012
    Richmond, Texas
    Thanks for the replies. I am looking at the Metz 52 AF-1 and that seems to fit my requirements. Does anyone have any experience with this particular model or Metz flashes in general?

8. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    I've used the 58af2 extensively. They're great guns and should suit what you want perfectly. currently I've got the FL50r and I prefer the button layout of the Olympus over the Metz. I do prefer the longer zoom control of the Metz though.

Gordon

9. ajamils

ajamils Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 20, 2012
    Richmond, Texas
    Does it work wirelessly with GH3 with TTL ?

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk 2

10. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Yes. As long as it's compatible with the Olympus wireless protocol. Remember that there's a FL50 and a FL50R. The "r" has wireless. The 58AF1 and 2 have wireless.

I suggest though that you keep the FL600R and use it as a commander. It works vastly better than the inbuilt flashes as you can either point the head at the remote flash for singles or upwards for multiple groups. You'll get vastly improved range and reliability that way.

Gordon

11. ajamils

ajamils Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 20, 2012
    Richmond, Texas
    Too late, I have already sold the FL600R and now trying to find a more powerful replacement.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk 2