Best filters for Oly 14-42 mk II?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by ssgreenley, May 14, 2011.

1. ssgreenley

ssgreenley Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    Are there any high end 37mm filters I can use with my 14-42 mkII? Hoya doesn't make a pro1d version in thus size....
  2. Pan Korop

Pan Korop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 31, 2011
    Phare Ouest
    Get first a step-up ring for more common filters. 39, 49 or 52mm are aplenty, and all will look better on your big-barrel lens with its stupidly small thread. They didn't even standardize the original kit zoom with their own 17/2.8 :rolleyes:

Sometimes I feel the only thing Olympus lacks is a new Maitani-San...
  3. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    If you don't mind paying for quality, B+W has some excellent 37mm filters
  4. eyeguy

eyeguy Mu-43 Regular

Feb 26, 2011
    Bay Area, California
    I bought this from amazon for 12 bucks a month ago. I think it's definitely a steal at $7.
    If you look at the user submitted photos, those are mine. I don't use the FLD filter at all. The UV filter is not multi coated, actually doesn't appear to be coated at all. But I LOVE the polarized filter.

I'm no photosnob so I can't really comment on the IQ through these besides the flare you can find with the UV lens. And again, thats FIND with the UV lens. In most situations I don't notice it. I don't really shoot with the UV lens in place because it adds length to the lens unless I am holding something up real close and want to protect the lens.

Again, it's a cheap option if you're just looking to get your feet wet, and I really enjoy shooting with the CPL. Zeikos ZE-FLK37 37mm Multi-Coated 3 Piece Filter Kit (UV-CPL-FLD): Camera & Photo
  5. jazzist

jazzist New to Mu-43

Apr 30, 2011
  6. ssgreenley

May 12, 2011
    Thanks for the feedback! B+W makes a nice looking, multi-coated polarizer, but at $75 I'm wondering if it's too much filter for a kit lens...
  7. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Would you put a $10 piece of plastic on a several hundred dollar, precision engineered lens?
  8. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    I think the B+W MRC filters are the best available.
  9. ssgreenley

May 12, 2011
    Thanks everybody! I needed to spend six bucks to get free shipping, so I got the Zeikos set for now. Knowing myself, I'll probably still shell out for the fancy one soon though...
  10. goldjim

goldjim Mu-43 Regular

Apr 22, 2011
    I agree, simply the best.
  11. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    B+W makes filters and hoods in just about every size. With the original Mark I version of this lens (with the 40.5mm thread) I had to order from B+W to get a lens hood. Looks smashing on the lens, but I just sold the lens and hood yesterday. :)
    For my 37mm thread, I use a step-up ring to 49mm. I can get 49mm accessories anywhere, and can use these on any thread size smaller than 49mm with step-up rings. The other steps I use are 67mm (fits all my high-grade lenses with or without a step-up), and 77mm (fits all the top-pro lenses with or without step-up).