1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Best filters for Oly 14-42 mk II?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by ssgreenley, May 14, 2011.

1. ssgreenley

ssgreenley Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    Are there any high end 37mm filters I can use with my 14-42 mkII? Hoya doesn't make a pro1d version in thus size....

2. Pan Korop

Pan Korop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 31, 2011
    Phare Ouest
    Get first a step-up ring for more common filters. 39, 49 or 52mm are aplenty, and all will look better on your big-barrel lens with its stupidly small thread. They didn't even standardize the original kit zoom with their own 17/2.8 :rolleyes: 

Sometimes I feel the only thing Olympus lacks is a new Maitani-San...

3. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    If you don't mind paying for quality, B+W has some excellent 37mm filters

4. eyeguy

eyeguy Mu-43 Regular

Feb 26, 2011
    Bay Area, California
    I bought this from amazon for 12 bucks a month ago. I think it's definitely a steal at $7.
    If you look at the user submitted photos, those are mine. I don't use the FLD filter at all. The UV filter is not multi coated, actually doesn't appear to be coated at all. But I LOVE the polarized filter.

I'm no photosnob so I can't really comment on the IQ through these besides the flare you can find with the UV lens. And again, thats FIND with the UV lens. In most situations I don't notice it. I don't really shoot with the UV lens in place because it adds length to the lens unless I am holding something up real close and want to protect the lens.

Again, it's a cheap option if you're just looking to get your feet wet, and I really enjoy shooting with the CPL.

Amazon.com: Zeikos ZE-FLK37 37mm Multi-Coated 3 Piece Filter Kit (UV-CPL-FLD): Camera & Photo

5. jazzist

jazzist New to Mu-43

Apr 30, 2011
  6. ssgreenley

May 12, 2011
    Thanks for the feedback! B+W makes a nice looking, multi-coated polarizer, but at $75 I'm wondering if it's too much filter for a kit lens...

7. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Would you put a $10 piece of plastic on a several hundred dollar, precision engineered lens?

8. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    I think the B+W MRC filters are the best available.

9. ssgreenley

May 12, 2011
    Thanks everybody! I needed to spend six bucks to get free shipping, so I got the Zeikos set for now. Knowing myself, I'll probably still shell out for the fancy one soon though...

10. goldjim

goldjim Mu-43 Regular

Apr 22, 2011
    Md.
    I agree, simply the best.

11. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    B+W makes filters and hoods in just about every size. With the original Mark I version of this lens (with the 40.5mm thread) I had to order from B+W to get a lens hood. Looks smashing on the lens, but I just sold the lens and hood yesterday. :) 
    For my 37mm thread, I use a step-up ring to 49mm. I can get 49mm accessories anywhere, and can use these on any thread size smaller than 49mm with step-up rings. The other steps I use are 67mm (fits all my high-grade lenses with or without a step-up), and 77mm (fits all the top-pro lenses with or without step-up).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.