Best FD to m4/3 adapter

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by rklepper, Jul 28, 2013.

1. rklepper

rklepper Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    I am wondering what is the best FD to m4/3 adapter. I can find all of the cheap ones, but hear there are some issues with them. Any idea would be helpful.
  2. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    I find that the FOTGA adapter works fine. Cost me $11.

I have another cheap one that has no brand name that can be made to work, but is quirky.
  3. heli-mech

heli-mech Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Search ebay for seller ciecio7. I never got around to getting one but his are very well regarded.
  4. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    +1 for the ciecio7 adapter. None of that open-close nonsense. Fits tight and looks great
  5. sinclair

sinclair Mu-43 Veteran

Add me to the list of cecio7 users. Very clean and also love the lack of the open/close nonsense. But I do have the problem with not being able to focus on the moon. I'm still unsure if it's the lens or the adaptor though.
  6. edmsnap

edmsnap Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 20, 2011
    Edmonton, Alberta

This is my usual recommendation. Flawless operation with perfect fit every time.

A significantly cheaper option that I've started using is this one by Pixco. The fit is just as good as the above one, but I have less experience with it to say if there's any variation with different samples. All of my growing experience speaks well of them. For $12, I'd certainly recommend giving it a whirl.

cecio7 hasn't been on eBay for ages. I don't know that his adapters are available anywhere anymore.

The "open/close nonsense" enables aperture control which is hard to slander :tongue:
  7. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    Ciecio7 most certainly IS currently on ebay. Selling 2 different adapters. The base adapter is $51 + 6 shipping, the one with a strong machined tripod socket is $90 + 8 shipping

Canon FD FL to AF101 AF100 G2 G3 GF3 E PL3 GH2 E P3 Micro 4 3 Adapter | eBay

8. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    I used to have a ciecio7 adapter but I never used it.

I prefer adapters with the "lock <-> open" ring because you can pre-set working aperture, focus wide open (for best accuracy) and then stop the lens down to the working aperture with one flick of the finger while still looking in the viewfinder.
  9. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    I also have one of those eBay high qualty Poland made adapters. It feeels nice and well made but I also have a cheap one and to be honest both seem to work fine.
  10. dadadude

dadadude Mu-43 Regular

Jun 12, 2013
    San Carlos, CA
    I have no problem with the Fotodiox version works perfectly for me. I have a Fotga $10 cheapie on the way to use with a Canon 35mm FL lens that will not work with the adapter pin in place because of the unusual design of this specific FL lens (all my other FL lenses work fine). So I will remove the adapter open-lock pin and use the toothpick trick to keep the aperture pin on the lens in position.
  11. sinclair

sinclair Mu-43 Veteran

I've got aperture control on mine. I turn the ring on the lens and the aperture changes. I like it better because of live metering and seeing what you'll get on the screen. And yes, I did have that lever on my AE-1 pushed in most times for those that know what I'm talking about.