1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Best Fast Prime Professional Portrait Lens for OM-D E-M1 MkII ????

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by AlohaJim, Aug 6, 2018.

1. AlohaJim

AlohaJim Mu-43 Regular

Jul 23, 2018
    Prescott, AZ. USA
    Aloha Everyone.
    Right now I'm using the Canon 135 mm "L" lens on my Full Frame for indoor, studio, and location portraiture.
    Is there a fast prime portraiture lens for the Olympus that is the closest to this in performance?
    Best Bokeh is important.
    No price limit.

mahalo,
    jim

2. Reflector

Reflector Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 31, 2013
    Try the Olympus 75mm f/1.8 out if you want a native option. Another option is to mount your Canon on a focal reducer. A crazy option is to mount a Sigma 105mm f/1.4 on a focal reducer, which gets you the look of a 150mm f/2.

3. ionian

ionian Mu-43 All-Pro

May 20, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Simon
    Native mount with autofocus - Olympus 75mm, Olympus 45mm f/1.2, Panasonic Leica Nocticron 42.5mm f/1.2

Native mount manual focus - Voigtlander 42.5mm f/0.95

They are all fantastic, but none of them will match the 135mm for the amount you can throw the background out of focus. All three autofocus lenses produce beautiful smooth bokeh. The Voigtlander has a style of it's own that you will either like or not.

Another option is to get an ef-m43 autofocus adapter, with a focal reducer, and keep using the 135 or something like the sigma 85mm f1.4.

Cheaper options are available in portrait lenses, the system is blessed with some good budget options too.

Edit: should have read @Reflector@Reflector 's repsonse before typing that all up! What he said.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Mack

Mack Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 14, 2018
  5. Reflector

Reflector Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 31, 2013
    Also I'll add that the Sigma 50-100mm f/1.8 on a Speedbooster Ultra did a great job at producing portraits for family members. It gives you something comparable to a 70-140mm f/2.4 on a Canon 135 format body for the results. It doesn't go to the level of wildness that a Sigma 105mm f/1.4 will give you however. Since you already have EF mount lenses I recommend trying an electronic adapter out.

This was an impromptu shot of an another photographer who was curious what the Sigma 50-100 was like:
    PB014400N.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

May have had the teleconverter attached on this one to make a 70-140mm f/2.5: (Forgot to include the exif on this resized version I keep around)
    1M208808N.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. AlohaJim

AlohaJim Mu-43 Regular

Jul 23, 2018
    Prescott, AZ. USA
    Thanks for the help.
    What is different about the Voigtlander?
    jim

7. AlohaJim

AlohaJim Mu-43 Regular

Jul 23, 2018
    Prescott, AZ. USA
    Thanks for the tips.
    I tried the Metabones Speedbooster Ultra but was not crazy about it. Some compromise in functionality there.
    jim

8. tkbslc

tkbslc Super Moderator

It's manual only. No auto focus or aperture.

75mm f1.8 is the closest to the 135L, but it will give bg blur like your 135L set to f3.2. So you can compare that with your 135L set to f3.2 now and see if that works.

The 75mm f1.8 is sharp and has great bokeh. If anything it is sharper than the 135L, so I wouldn't worry about image quality.

The 42.5- 45mm primes are great, but it's more like working with an 85mm on FF. I suspect you wouldn't have a 135L if you liked the look of 85mm better.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Christop82

Christop82 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 10, 2016
    75 1.8 seems to be the obvious choice in native options. If you don’t mind a manual lens, nikkor 85mm 1.4D. Nikkor 85mm lenses are imo the sharpest lenses I have ever owned.

10. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Legend Subscribing Member

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    FWIW, I found the bokeh of the 42.5 Nokton much busier than the 45 PRO.

If bokeh is a key consideration, then the 45 PRO and 75/1.8 should be at the top of the list. The PRO bokeh is a bit smoother, but the 75 can generate a more OOF background, depending on the scene/framing.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman Subscribing Member

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
    • Wow Wow x 1
  12. whumber

whumber Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 13, 2017
    Definitely the Sigma 105 1.4 with the Metabones reducer if you really want similar pictures to what you're creating with the 135L. If you're feeling bold, you could go for the 0.64x XL reducer which supposedly does fit the E-M1ii, according to Tony Northrup, even if it's not officially supported by Metabones.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    If you can get back even further from your subject there is also the Olympus ZD 150/2.0 for 4/3rds. You will have to buy it second hand and will need an MMF-x adapter to mount it. But will auto focus normally on your E-M1mk2.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. ScottinPollock

ScottinPollock Mu-43 Top Veteran

Just curious... why would you switch from FF to M43 for portraiture?

15. ionian

ionian Mu-43 All-Pro

May 20, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Simon
    It is, as @ijm5012@ijm5012 mentioned, a bit busier and the specular highlights seem stretched a bit - not cats eys but elongated. If it's the creamy look you like, the Voigtlander isn't right, but it is a unique look. Not cream, more cookie.

Another vote here for the 75mm. It is the closest in focal length, and optically it is amazing. Plus at m43 prices you could get both a 75 and a 45 to get the best of all worlds.

16. ionian

ionian Mu-43 All-Pro

May 20, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Simon
    Honest question, not trolling - why wouldn't you?

17. ToxicTabasco

ToxicTabasco Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 2, 2018
    South West USA
    A lot of online reviews like the Panasonic 42.5 f/1.7. They prefer it over the Pana/Leica 42.5 f/1.4 85mm equivalent that can close focus closer than a DSLR 85mm.

Another option is the Olympus 40-150 f/2.8 Pro zoom lens. Similar to what DSLR users shoot portrait with but with extra range.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. ScottinPollock

ScottinPollock Mu-43 Top Veteran

Because it is an inherent weakness of the format...
    Larger sensors = wider angles, deeper dynamic range, shallower DOF.
    Smaller sensors = more reach, deeper DOF, smaller cameras and glass.

Edit: Not saying you can't do it, there are just more constraints involved.

19. ionian

ionian Mu-43 All-Pro

May 20, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Simon
    Didn't mean to sound defensive, and yes what you state is true on paper, but if it offers enough dynamic range and out of focus depth you gain a smaller, less obtrusive system, a great range of well-priced sharp lenses and some.great featured cameras.

I'd say it's a closer call than some might imagine although I agree that many togs would agree with you.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    Just to nitpick, the author did state "bokeh" rather than DoF. So while a "fast prime" was a requirement, I would be curious to know if they often shot the "L" fully open for portraits most of the time to get the bokeh desired.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.