1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Best Fast Fifty (Equiv.)

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by stillshunter, Oct 19, 2011.

1. stillshunter

stillshunter Mu-43 Regular

Sep 27, 2011
    Warming to my EP3, it's working out to be a good complement to the X100, esp., with the VF2 on-board. I bought it with zooms only in mind, but as an old Pentax prime shooter the draw of fixed focals are just too hard to resist.
    NB: all remaining talk on focal lengths in 35mm equivalent terms.

So I have 35mm covered with my X100. 24mm is a no brainer with the 12/2 in existence - and long lenses will be satisfied by the Oly long-ish zoom and/or a fast 50 (equiv. 100mm) with adapter later on. My initial focus though is on a very capable normal 50mm.

So I'm seeking advice on the best fast fifty for :43:?

Sub f2.8 would be my preference, and my research so far yields:
    1. CV 25/0.95
    2. PanLeica 25/1.4
    3. OM 24/2 or OM 24/2.8
    NB: I want as close to 50mm as possible, happy to entertain maybe 2mm either side.

I'm leaning towards #2. But very keen to hear if there's others (e.g., via adapter) that I might have missed or overlooked. Having said that I'm a little confused by the huge price differential between 25/1.4s. Seems you pay double for one with a distance scale window....or are we talking a completely different lens?

Apologies if all this has been covered elsewhere, but my search skills are up there with my ability to write computer script and fix cars. :blush:

2. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    Are you talking about the two Leica 25mm's? If I am not mistaken, you could have been comparing the 4/3 version with the micro 4/3's version. The more expensive one is the 4/3's mount.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    If it were me (and you did ask for opinions), I'd get the Pana Leica 25. The images are gorgeous. Wonderfully rendered bokeh, nice sharp contrasty images AND auto focus. I don;t mind manually focusing if there's some sort of tactical advantage.

The Voigtlander looks exceptional, too. Is that extra ounce of light gathering ability and losing the ability to auto focus worth it to you? If it is, I'm sure you won't be disappointed. It also puts out devastatingly beautiful images (dependent on the lensperson's skill) from what I've seen.

The Oly lenses are also rightly well regarded.....really you can't wrong with any of these. Look at the more images. Think about the kind of shots YOU want to take. What is important to you? Can you live without auto-focus ability? At those prices, I refuse to live without it. And why should you. Even if you enjoy manual focus....why not have it available. Especially since it costs less.

my 2 cents.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Serhan

Serhan Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 7, 2011
    NYC
    Panaleica has 2 versions of 25mm 1.4, 4/3 vs m43. 43 version is bigger and might AF slowly with ep3 so m43 version is better to use with your ep3. Here is some of samples from the m43 version:

https://www.mu-43.com/f80/panasonic-leica-25mm-f-1-4-dg-summilux-image-thread-15938/index4.html

You have to decide on the manual vs AF and how much dof you want and how you are comfortable with manual focusing eg 0.95 is harder to focus then f/1.4, 2, 2.8, etc. Also f/1.4 requires nd filter/polarizer in sunny weather but polarizer might not be enough for 0.95, but then at low light / night time 0.95 will give you better shutter speeds/lower iso's.

• Like Like x 1
  5. stillshunter

Sep 27, 2011
    Makes sense! Now where's that :blush: emoticon!!! Thank you for wording it so diplomatically also...

@ Luke: Cheers mate. Certainly eliciting all and any opinions. MF is not an issue but obviously AF is a bonus. I suppose my main concern is not compromising ultimate IQ for the convenience of AF. From what I've seen so far, the 25/1.4 is a very competent lens - maybe not as sharp as the 12/2 corner to corner.

For me I'm looking for the nifty fifty to be versatile. Anyone from SC will know that I shoot anything from sunsets to cows to street.... Funny thing is that 35mm has always been my preference, but since Pentax was wholly idiotic when it came to producing a 35mm lens, I got very used to a 50mm from the likes of the DA 35/2.8 Macro and the FA31. Funny thing is now that I have 35mm covered I'm sorta missing the 50mm....I know, I know, the grass is always greener.

P.S., Thanks Serhan...appreciate the advice and diplomacy again! Oh man there's some nice stuff on that thread!!! Missed your reply while I was thumping out mine - hence the P.S.

6. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    Focal length 24-25mm gives you lots of options up to f2.8 - minolta, konica, pentax, leica, Olympus, And zeiss all fit your base requirements. Personally, I went with the m4/3 lumix/leica 25 f1.4 as the added bonus of AF. The only down side is some people complain of the rattlesnake syndrome. Aperture continually adjusting in bright light in some situations. I've only run into twice and strangely only when mounted to my E-P3, never occurred paired with E-P2.

• Like Like x 1
  7. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Same here on my E-P2 - no rattlesnake at all. On my E-P3 and my wife's E-PL3 it happens pretty often. I keep thinking there is a setting difference, but cannot find anything. Bizarre.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Another difference you may notice between the Four-Thirds and Micro Four-Thirds versions is that the Four-Thirds version also has an aperture ring. Unfortunately though, the aperture ring is only made to work on Panasonic bodies. :( Guess there's no substitute for real legacy glass, lol.

• Like Like x 1
  9. stillshunter

Sep 27, 2011
    @ Grinch and Krugorg.

Ahhh that rattlesnake phenomenon sounds awful. I just saw a video of it in action and I don't think this is something I could live with. Do you think this could be fixed with EP(L)3 firmware? I might wait until then and re-evaluate....unless I find some sweet legacy glass in the meantime ;)

10. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    I don't know what to tell you, it's a strange peculiarity...as I've never heard of it happening with the 4/3 version, but it hasn't been a huge hassle for me. More of a now I know what others are talking about, and a shake of the head. By no means would I give up this lens, it is fast becoming my favorite, enjoying it more than the oly 45 which I picked up a week after the 25.

11. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    It is a bit annoying, but I also like the lens enough to overlook. Also, I held off on the Voigtlander 0.95, so I feel like I can justify keeping the PL25 even as a specialized lens because of the money saved. Nice to have around for night time and indoors.

I am hoping for a firmware update on the lens and/or body that will rectify this issue. Also, wondering if there is a setting change that could fix, since it doesn't happen on my E-P2. :confused:

12. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I'd say the OM24/2.8 is a heck of lens for the money (mine was under $200 in nice shape). I use it and an OM 50/1.4 regularly on my G2 and I am constantly surprised at how nice the images are. I find that I like them better than my native lenses.