Best Farm on MNBP Property

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by slothead, Apr 10, 2013.

1. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    From the Best Farm, one of the historical properties of the Monocacy National Battlefield Park near Frederick, MD. These two were takes with the OM-D E-M5 and a Panny 14-140, with 5 images of 1 EV separation.

P4100751_HDR1_zps03d37b20.

P4100796_HDR1_zpse38b4388.

2. kwalsh

kwalsh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    Hi Tom,

Nice shots, and thanks for sharing the location. I may have to make a visit over there at some point.

One technical question. In the first one I'm seeing what really looks like chromatic aberration along the edges of the boards - which is really surprising at the resolution displayed. Are my eyes playing tricks, or is it a HDR artifact? Or is the 14-140 CA that visible?

3. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    I see what you mean, but I don't have an answer for you right now (I am going to look at it some more). I should comment that the 5, 1EV-separated images were all handheld and the integration was using Nik HDR Efex Pro 2, to which I added some additional "Structure" and possibly some saturation, so I could have caused that by overprocessing.

4. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    I didn't notice the CA at first, but it does seem to be there. Still, very nice photos - I really like the second. :cool:

5. oldoldold

oldoldold Mu-43 Regular

Sep 24, 2011
    Broomfield, CO
    Joe Milan
    Nice implementation of HDR--doesn't look "cooked" at all.

I've had some problems with hand-held HDR images aligning properly. Perhaps this is what aberration some people are seeing.

6. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    I agree Joe. It's one thing to over-saturate and halo for artistic effect, it's quite another to find the detail in shadows and the highlights in the same image (although I'm not completely satisfied with image 2 - it's a little hot across the middle of the image to the right of the doorway).

Broomfield, eh? I have friends in Broomfield - they all work at BATC in Boulder.

7. aragorn1980

aragorn1980 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 10, 2012
    Athens Greece
    Takis
    The scenery is awesome. Great captures! Thank you for sharing!