Best EVF for manual focusing on GF1

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Spaceghost33, Nov 11, 2011.

1. Spaceghost33

Spaceghost33 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    Christopher Stelter
    I'm sure this has been covered somewhere, but I'm interested in getting an EVF for my GF1 to help with focusing (mostly outdoors) manual focus legacy glass. Any thoughts or advice?

Thanks in advance.

2. JayShiva

JayShiva Mu-43 Regular

Nov 6, 2011
    Yarm, UK
    Just go for the panny one. Resolution ain't the best, but it sure helped me with composition and not feeling like a point and shoot-er!

The new panny one that is launching with the gx1 will not be compatible, which is a shame, but technologically understandable.

3. Spaceghost33

Feb 23, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    Christopher Stelter
    Manual focusing

Thanks Jay. I'm more concerned with manual focusing than composition. How is it for helping get the focus correct. Indoors is no problem for me, but in sunlight, outdoors, it gets tougher.

4. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    There's only one that is compatible, which should make the decision easy!

5. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Panny EVF

I use my LVF1 on my GF1 a lot, especially on sunny days - it may not be the best but it does the job and allows me to capture the images I want.

Probably a good time to consider buying one now the GFX is about to arrive.

6. Spaceghost33

Feb 23, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    Christopher Stelter
    Iansky, do you find the EVF only good for composition or with manual focusing as well? Does the MF preview feature work in the EVF like it does on the LCD screen when the scroll wheel is depressed?

7. JayShiva

JayShiva Mu-43 Regular

Nov 6, 2011
    Yarm, UK
    I have no issue with manual focus with the evf; images are crisp and in focus. It's got the little diopter (?) control on the side to let you set it correctly for your eye...after that it's a breeze.

Haven't used any legacy glass though, so all my lenses bring up the magnified view automatically.

I believe you can activate this mode manually however; i would recommend doing that...I wouldn't fancy manual focussing using the evf without it!

8. JudyM

JudyM Mu-43 All-Pro

May 5, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Go for the LVF1. It's not perfect, but it is indespensible for manual focusing and for shooting in daylight. I use manual focus lenses at least 85% of the time on my Gf1, and I couldn't do it without the external viewfinder. The resolution isn't as good as I would like, but it's good enough to focus accurately and quickly. Lenses with higher contrast are easier to manage and will snap into focus, while lower contrast lens may prove a little more difficult. Having the camera at eye level against your face also makes steadying it easier.