Best equipment purchase "bang for the buck"

DeeJayK

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Keith
Came across a nice article today that reminds me that keeping your photography new and fresh doesn't always require purchasing a new lens or camera.

If you had the choice of buying two new pieces of gear to improve your photography, which two would you choose: a new lens, a stepladder, or kneepads?

Easy! Buy the stepladder and the kneepads.

It's simple (simplistic even?) advice that I'm sure most of you are already aware of, but a little reminder never hurts.

timg

Mu-43 Regular
I carry around a small waterproof mat I got from the pound-shop for those low-angle shots... it's small and incredibly light.

Just Jim

Mu-43 Top Veteran
oh man... I'm already sorry for this buuut...

My Wife!

Although she's my favorite subject?

...ok I'll slink off now.

atomic

Mu-43 Veteran
Just Jim said:
oh man... I'm already sorry for this buuut...

My Wife!

Although she's my favorite subject?

...ok I'll slink off now.

Too easy... ;)

tanngrisnir3

Mu-43 Top Veteran
As a landscape guy who is frequently (more frequently than I'd like) at really well-know, heavily shot places, it's occurred to me on many, many occasions how great it would be to have a painter's ladder of over, say, 15' just to get an angle on the same old things that would have people scratching their heads and saying, "WTF? How did he get that shot?"

kinlau

Mu-43 All-Pro
Ansel Adams had a platform built on top of his truck for this very reason.

I also remember a video series of a photog who brought a ladder out on a boat in the swamp for a more interesting perspective.

With the new quadrocopters like the AR Drone series, we may see some very interesting new perspectives.

Promit

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Promit Roy
OMD has a tilt screen, thus solving this problem neatly! (Okay, okay, G3 with the full flip screen works too.)

Latest threads

Top Bottom