Best E-M5 II Bundle Option?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by VincentVance, May 7, 2015.

1. VincentVance

VincentVance Mu-43 Rookie

May 6, 2015
    Because Olympus has their Mothers Day promotion currently, it seems many of the E-M5 II bundles have decreased in price. Does anyone have experience comparing them all? Is there one that offers the best deal?

I'm interested in any that include either the 12-40mm PRO or the 60mm 2.8 Macro lens. I don't care much about the included extras, but if anyone has experience with the Vivitar batteries, it'd be great to hear if they're worth it. Any advice would be appreciated.

2. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    I honestly wouldn't worry to much about the extras and more about what lens you think will give you the type of shooting experience you want.

Having the 12-40 now for a few months, it is a fantastic lens and has some good close focusing, which might satisfy all but the most diehard macro shooters. If macro is more your thing, then the Oly 60/2.8 is a good native option and can double as a decent portrait lens as well.

3. VincentVance

VincentVance Mu-43 Rookie

May 6, 2015
    I agree, though it's often that the bundles will end up being cheaper than buying the camera and lens separately. I don't care about the extra crap, but the lens, body, and extra batteries are most important to me. And being that there are thousands of different bundles across different sites I want to make sure I get the best one. For instance, on Amazon there's a bundle with the 12-40, the FL-LM3 flash, and the body for 250 less than those three combined would cost if purchased separately.

4. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    Unless the bundles are Olympus promotional bundles, I wouldn't bother, especially those store bundles that include junk items like trashy tripods, cheap flashes, third party batteries, cheap cases, etc...

When I bought my E-M5 Mk.II last week from the official Olympus company store here in Korea, Olympus was having an E-M5 Mk.II promotional event with bundled deals on Olympus lenses, Olympus flashes, Olympus grips, etc... all at a pretty good savings. Even then, I opted to buy only the body since none of the deals included items I wanted.

Last year, when I bought my E-M1 at the same store, Olympus was having a promotional event then too. They threw in the HLD-7 grip, an extra Olympus BLN-1 battery, a third party UV filter, an Olympus branded air blower and cleaning cloth, an Olympus magazine as well as a Fitbit, all free of charge. On top of that, they discounted the E-M1 an additional $50 as well as giving me 15% off any lens I wanted.

If the bundled item is something you really want, then go for it. Otherwise, pass.

5. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    OK, I misunderstood - thought you were looking at the 2 lens choices, but you meant a broader who has the best package deals. Gotcha! :D