1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Best DAM/raw editor for E-M5 II?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by sgreszcz, Aug 5, 2015.

1. sgreszcz

sgreszcz Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 7, 2012
    Hi there, I just got an E-M5 II and realised that my Lightroom 5 won't open the raw files.

I'm not too keen on moving to the subscription model for Lightroom 6, so I was wondering what the alternatives are?

I use a Mac, and have Aperture as well (which is being discontinued.

I know that Lightroom is better supported in so far as plugins, training, books, etc. so maybe I should stay with it?

I really like the feature from aperture that stacked the JPEG and raw files (which Lightroom doesn't really have) and I'm also interested in trying the high resolution mode with the e-m5 II.

Has anyone recently evaluated some of the options in a post-Aperture post-Lightroom 5 era?

Thanks for any advise.

2. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Well first off, LR6 is available for regular purchase. It may not be for the next version. If you want to stick with LR5, you can convert all your ORF to DNG with the free Adobe converter and your existing version of Lightroom will open them.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. m43happy

m43happy Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 18, 2012
    LR6 (standalone version) supports the E-M5ii. Biggest advantage I feel when moving up to the newer version is that it makes better use of your graphics card to speed up the application.

• Like Like x 1
  4. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    As others have stated LR6 is available as a standalone "perpetual license" application. This is the only way Lightroom 6 is offered.

There is a much touted subscription product, but that has a different name although it is very similar. The current subscription version of Lr is "Lightroom CC 2015". It should also be noted that Adobe released an update for both Lr6 and LrCC2015 this week (1st week of August 2015). The update adds support for the RAW files from a few new cameras and is supposed to address a few minor bugs/issues.

• Like Like x 1
  5. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    A few points from another E-M5 Mk.II owner.

- Lightroom 6 is available as a standalone version as well as a subscription version.
    - Lightroom 6 natively supports the E-M5 Mk.II.
    - RAW and JPEG can be stacked in Lightroom.

I went from Aperture 3 to Lightroom 5.6 when Apple officially announced that Aperture was discontinued. I tried Lightroom, Capture One and DxO (along with a few others) and although I preferred the output from Capture One, I chose Lightroom for basically two reasons. It's photo management and ease of plugin use which saves me quite a bit of time were the deciding factor.

You can continue using Lightroom 5 if you don't mind converting your E-M5 Mk.II's ORF files to DNG using Adobes DNG Converter app before importing into Lightroom. I just recently upgraded to the standalone LR6 from 5.7 recently mainly because I hated the extra step of having to convert to DNG.

• Like Like x 1
  6. sgreszcz

sgreszcz Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 7, 2012
    Can you tell me how you do the stacking? Is it using the time-based method? It was really easy in Aperture - you just selected "show JPEG" or "show raw". I like the Olympus JPEG output, but if the picture needed work, I always had the RAW. I recently started using some Panasonic cameras (LX100 and Gx7) where I wasn't always happy with the JPEG output so I started to learn how to process raw files (which are very good in the Panasonic cameras).

I was hoping to always shoot raw, and when I wanted the Olympus processing, I could use Olympus Viewer 3.

Thanks for all the advise everyone, it looks like I'll just bite the bullet and upgrade to Lightroom 6, thanks!

7. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    In preferences, under the General tab, midway you'll see four checkboxes. Uncheck the last one that says "Treat JPEG files next to raw files as separate photos". Of course you can manually stack or unstack as you wish under the Photos menu >>> Stacking where you have various options including time based.

8. palombasso

palombasso Mu-43 Regular

Jan 31, 2014
    Never used aperture, but the "treat as separate files" option doesn't seem to do the same thing the op is asking.
    If you don't use this option the sooc jpg is not imported to lightroom, so you cannot easily switch between the raw and jpg.

I think the closest is treating as different files and auto stacking by time, but it's not so simple because if you collapse the stack flag and stars and etc only apply to the topmost photo. Slows the workflow

• Like Like x 1
  9. pmon

pmon Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2013
    Milan
    Paolo
    I was an Aperture user and early this year I moved to Darktable (open source and free), I am very happy. Latest version of Darktable supports em5 mk2. I find darktable to be an excellent DAM and yes it automatically group RAW and JPG while you still have to switch from one or the other per single photo. Since it is free, you should give it a try. Btw I managed to have my Aperture Library moved to Darktable and I can eventually share the process I used

• Like Like x 1