Best D.A.M besides Lightroom

ralf-11

Mu-43 All-Pro
What is the best digital asset manager (database functions) for the MacOS other than LR?

Salt Spring Island, British Columbia, Canada
Real Name
Jan Steinman
I've used ON1 for years, but with each update, it gets slower and slower on my ten-year-old Mac Pro.

I've been playing with Neofinder, but it is more of a general-purpose file finder, and it lacks many image niceties.

I want to like digicam, but it is apparently "compile-only" compatible with MacOS. It is buggy and crashy. When I sent a bug report, they got back quickly and unsatisfactorily: "We don't have a Mac to test on — perhaps you'd like to become our tester!" I don't have a problem with that, but neither do I have time for that.

I'd have to say that, right now, GraphicConverter is my DAM. GC is quirky and nerdy. It has tonnes of capabilities, but the UI is somewhat lacking. But it has absolutely the best access to metadata — you can manipulate any metadata fairly easily! (Including many that you didn't know existed.)

I've recently been investigating Resource Space, which is an open-source web-based DAM, but I haven't successfully installed it yet.

I've been using Luminar as my main image editor, and it's recently added what they call a DAM, but it is really more of a visual file system browser.

So, I'd have to say I'm also looking for a decent Mac DAM. (And still mourning the loss of Aperture.)

oldracer

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I am keeping an eye on LR replacements for PC against the inevitable day that I can no longer use LR6. I am especially interested in products which target LR users with good import tools and largely overlapping feature sets. So ... lurking here.

Bob T

Mu-43 Veteran
I am keeping an eye on LR replacements for PC against the inevitable day that I can no longer use LR6. I am especially interested in products which target LR users with good import tools and largely overlapping feature sets. So ... lurking here.
I've been on this same quest for the past four years, but have yet to find anything even approaching the usability and usefulness, of the LR6 DAM.

Real Name
Roddy
Jan pointed me to NeoFinder a couple of months ago, and I have to say it's not as intuitive as I would like, and there are some parts I do not like at all. Photos is nice to look at, and the editing tools are much improved, but there is no quick way to delete files, and you cannot drag and drop without them resizing. So I am still looking too for something easy like Aperture or iPhotos. One day.....

oldracer

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I've been on this same quest for the past four years, but have yet to find anything even approaching the usability and usefulness, of the LR6 DAM.
I wouldn't use the word "quest" for myself. I am quite satisfied with LR6 and have no plans to replace my Gx8s. But the day is inevitably coming where I will be forced off LR6 for one reason or another. So I am just keeping an eye out, waiting/watching for candidate LR6 workalikes to come into the marketplace.

Re prior discussions, IMO this market is moving fast enough that even six month old discussions will be of marginal value in choosing among the current products. YMMV of course.

SpecFoto

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jim
As you can see there are not a lot of options to LR, especially for Mac, and none that are anyway near as good. Like you I kept using my last stand alone versions of LR 6, but after a few years I gave up and paid for the yearly subscription of $9.99/m billed to a cc. It was the best thing I did, as now I no longer worry about getting new camera equipment and wondering if it will it work with LR, it just does. And I have 4 different LR catalogs of close to 200,000 raw images, so I put it to use and really could not be happier with how LR performs on my 27" iMac.

Adobe constantly updates the CC, PS, LR and Bridge bundle. No longer waiting for months and months for Adobe to fix something. If a new version comes out and there are issues, the huge base of subscribers let Adobe know right away and most issues are fixed quickly.

Honestly this and Netflix are the best things I subscribe to. And even though most don't want to hear this, I consider the ten bucks a month a good deal. Been with Netflix for oh..maybe 15 years and I remember moaning when it went up from $7.99/m. Three price hikes later and it is $12.99/m. Only hope Adobe is as customer conscience of price hikes when it comes time to raise the LR bundle price.

Last edited:

SpecFoto

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jim
My friend likes Apple Photos. Derrick Story thinks pretty highly of it. He wrote an eBook for it.
Being an old Apple Aperture user who subscribed to Derrrick's Aperture newsletter, I think he puts up with Photos, where he LOVED Aperture, because he has to. He makes a living off of writing about photo management with Apple computers. And I am sorry, but after many years of so-so fixes, Apple Photos still sucks, it is set up for iPhone users, not photographers. Apple, bring back Aperture!!!

Last edited:
Real Name
Tom Remisoski
Nobody has mentioned darktable yet? It's more of a full Lightroom replacement than just a DAM as it also does RAW development.
I have just checked out Darktable and I am really impressed by what it offers. I'm tempted to make it my replacement for Luminar. I have not really checked out the DAM aspects of Darktable though.

Real Name
Mark
As you can see there are not a lot of options to LR, especially for Mac, and none that are anyway near as good.
I'd personally say that darktable is superior to Lightroom in many respects once you get used to the differences in the workflow.

I liken it to Windows (Lightroom) vs. Linux (darktable). One let's you do most stuff you want pretty easily but if you want something that is a little outside the norm then you're screwed. The other lets you do all the stuff you want with a little more effort but it's outside the curve is where it really shines.

A perfect example is the darktable tone equalizer. You just can't do that in Lightroom.

Holoholo55

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Walter
Walter - I can find a paperback version but not an eBook one. Do you have a link? I wouldn't mind a look at this....
I got the eBook directly from Story, but here's a link to a Kindle version.
https://www.amazon.com/Apple-Photos...79HQMR8Y/ref=mt_other?_encoding=UTF8&me=&qid=

Here's the Apple Book store link. https://books.apple.com/us/book/the-apple-photos-book-for-photographers/id1343064948

BTW, I never said Photos was the best editor. The OP asked for software that had good DAM. I think Photos does. My friend prefers cataloging his photos in Photos instead of Luminar. I've been using Workspace, but I dunno if that qualifies as a DAM.

Last edited:

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
On1 is/would be my second choice. It runs well on my "old" i7 4200/32 gig of ram/SSD's & fast spinners. I upgrade about every 2 years just in case LR/PS goes to like $20 a year. That being said nothing is as powerful as LR/PS if you need all the bells and whistles.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom