1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

best choice for Canon FD adapter?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Mike_RB, Mar 17, 2011.

1. Mike_RB

Mike_RB New to Mu-43

Mar 17, 2011
    Hey Guys. I'm new to the micro four thirds world and have a bunch of old Canon lenses I inherited. Any ideas on which FD adapter is the 'best'? Is there a lot of difference between $30 and $100 adapters? And is there any that don't have the infinity focus issues?

Thanks a lot, hope to contribute more here as I get more into this.

Mike

2. OPSSam

OPSSam Mu-43 Regular

Dec 18, 2010
    NC
    I bought a Fotodiox FD adapter off Amazon for about $32 shipped. It works just fine, no more loose than my kit lens is on the camera. It focuses past infinity, which just means you can't whip the lens to infinity and shoot. But you can still get sharp focus if you are patient.

Here is an example of a shot I took using the adapter with an FD lens.

longrange_060.

And a 400m telephoto lens also adapted (kind of a bad lens).

longrange_077.

• Like Like x 1
  3. There seem to have been the occasional bad experience with various brands of adapters so I guess you should make sure there is some kind of return policy before buying, but you'd be pretty unlucky to have a major issue. Focusing beyond infinity is a common characteristic as most seem to be built slightly shorter than ideal to guarantee that infinity focus is achievable.

4. God at play

God at play  

Mar 22, 2011
    I've heard very good things about ciecio7's adapters, he runs out very quickly. Supposedly there are new batches that come in every few weeks, and the last batch showed up a couple weeks ago. Seems like there'll be a new batch pretty soon hopefully.

eBay My World - ciecio7

Some people also seem to like jinfinance adapters, but I've heard less praise overall so I don't know what that means, maybe I just haven't seen enough discussion about it.

5. agoglanian

agoglanian Mu-43 Regular

Nov 23, 2010
    Laguna Niguel, CA
    Abram Goglanian
    I first bought the RainbowImaging adapter and it was unable to focus to infinity no matter how I tweaked it. I contacted them about the matter and they refunded my money and found that the adapter was too thick.

I ordered the adapter from RJ camera (JinFinance on eBay) so I'll have to try that one out when it gets here.

6. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    I have a cheap Chinese adapter. It's surprisingly well-made and allows focus to infinity (in fact, it focuses slightly past infinity). It looks like this:

dbPdQHeoEj0EMr9btjS4.

JLirDvK6JEyyIPh6KcAb.

7. iliakoltsov

iliakoltsov Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2010
    Paris
  8. agoglanian

agoglanian Mu-43 Regular

Nov 23, 2010
    Laguna Niguel, CA
    Abram Goglanian
    I'd rather be able to focus past infinity than not be able to reach it.

9. kytra

kytra Mu-43 Regular

Feb 28, 2011
    how's that, to focus past infinity? this adapter focuses in the hyperspace? I want one!

10. agoglanian

agoglanian Mu-43 Regular

Nov 23, 2010
    Laguna Niguel, CA
    Abram Goglanian
    Well the RJ camera adapter arrived today and it works great! I can finally focus to infinity.

11. liftman

liftman New to Mu-43

May 1, 2013
  12. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I would consider Kipon a sort of mid-premium brand. I think their stuff is perhaps made with more care than some of the bargain basement brands and no-name pieces you can find on eBay. However, the Kipon gear is cheaper than the true premium brands (Novoflex, RayQual, etc.)

I would let the value of my FD lenses determine which tier I would select the adapter from. If you've got some really expensive glass, then consider Novoflex, but if you're using thrift shop lenses like me, then I'd suggest taking your chances with the cheapest adapters you can find.

13. sinclair

sinclair Mu-43 Veteran

This is the one I got, and I love it. I have had the issue of not being able to focus to infinity, but then it seems that I have the same issue on my AE-1 with the lenses. What I like the most about this adaptor is that it doesn't have the open/lock ring. You put the adaptor on the lens, and the aperture ring just works, no worry about forgetting that ring. But I need to find another adaptor that does focus past infinity to try on my lenses because ciecio7's adaptor is machined out of a solid metal slug, so there is nothing to mod to make it shorter.

14. liftman

liftman New to Mu-43

May 1, 2013
  15. redington

redington Mu-43 Regular

Apr 28, 2012
    I really wish I had gotten one of the ceicio adapters. I got one of the cheap Chinese ones that goes past infinity. It's fine, but limits my use of the lenses.

16. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    I've got a Pixco adapter somewhere. Works.

When you get down to chinese machined adapters, why not just save another 10£ and go cheap. Like this one on ebay.uk. Saves $15 USD, which is what lunch for my wife and I cost today.

True, all of these cheap ones will go past infinity when you throw the barrel to full stop.

Still, I've got a $120 Panasonic DMW-MA1 stacked with a $90 Olympus MF1 (I got it free though), and these two factory parts still have a little infinity error when used with my OM tele. A little or a lot, you still need to focus.