best camera settings on EPM1 for iso 1600 photos

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by colbycheese, May 16, 2012.

1. colbycheese

colbycheese Mu-43 Veteran

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    i have the kit lens for the epm1. what can i do to have the least amount of noise in the photos. what is the best settings for noise reduction and sharpening? I have noticed that my pictures are not as good as others at iso 1600. What can i do for the best images at this ISO?
  2. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    The best solution is to shoot in RAW and then process the images yourself. The only one I've used (and love) is Lightroom, which was recently for sale for about $100. Then you can choose how much noise reduction to apply--understanding that noise goes hand-in-hand with detail, and you can't reduce one without the other.

You can also adjust the in-camera level of noise-reduction used to generate JPG images, but I haven't played with this much because I almost always process the RAW images themselves. But you might just try turning up NR in the menu system and see how this works.
  3. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    If you are shooting JPG's, Olympus tends to apply a little too much noise reduction and then overshapen. Try reducing the noise reduction to none or low. And then decrease sharpening by -1. The photo may be a little noisier than what you typically see, but will likely also retain more details, without being oversharpened.

Or shoot RAW and run it through Lightroom like Mellow said! :)