Best camera for infrared conversion?

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by kadamnation, Sep 30, 2013.

1. kadamnation

kadamnation Mu-43 Regular

Feb 13, 2013
    Boston, MA
    I've been seeing a couple deals on Amazon lately where a couple of the lenses I covet basically come with a free camera attached as part of a discounted kit. My main camera body (OM-D E-M5) is holding up well, but I've begun to wonder whether I should get one of those kit deals, then just get the "free" body converted for Infrared.

I haven't done any infrared photography yet but I *love* the look of the images I see... Are there any cameras that would be "best" for this sort of use? I'm looking at the GF3 since it's part of one of the aforementioned discounted kits, and I figure I wouldn't miss the EVF as much when I'm using it for a more special-case purpose, but I don't know if I'm overlooking something.

Are there particular m43 bodies that work better for infra-red, and (for those of you that shoot with infrared-converted bodies) are there any particular considerations or tips for a newbie to that technique?
  2. tradesmith45

tradesmith45 Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 13, 2012
    I'd check w/ one of the conversion houses what they recommend.
  3. Capt T

Capt T Mu-43 Regular

Aug 8, 2010
    I have a E-PM1 that is converte to full spectrum. It works great.
  4. homerusan

homerusan Mu-43 Regular

Dec 25, 2012
    izmir, TURKEY
    how about e-p1?
    i want to turn mine to infrared if it is ok
    and also can someone share some links to help how to turn the camera infrared please? or are there anybodybody who can guide me for start? i mean where to look where to search?
  5. Baimei

Baimei Mu-43 Regular

Dec 15, 2011
    They have different conversions available, and are fast and good. Just check which micro four thirds bodies they can convert before you get one. I had a GF2 converted and it works great with the 14 and 20 pancakes.

6. Drdave944

Drdave944 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2012
    I just got my GF -5 converted by Lifepixle. I used to use a Canon 40 D for infrared but it was so big I usually left it home. A small camera like the GF- 5 is so easy to carry and gives great results. It is a little hard to see if it is focused,but who cares? You can use all your old lenses. No issues with out of focus due to infrared light waves which can occur with DSLR lenses.
  7. Drdave944

Drdave944 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2012

GF-5 Infrared conversion
  8. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Any of the m43 cameras should work fine for IR. I have a G2 that works fine.
  9. shutterduster

shutterduster Mu-43 Regular

Feb 8, 2013
    Keremeos, BC. Canada
    Dave T
    I just googled e-pl1 which is now next to free used and found 7 do-it yourself tutorials, and 3 we do-it for you's.
    Cheap decent camera.
    Just saying:smile:
  10. Capt T

Capt T Mu-43 Regular

Aug 8, 2010
    I have an e-PM1 that is converted to full spectrum by Kolari.
    Works great. Very happy with it.