Best Buy Open Box?

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by jcm5, Aug 15, 2015.

1. jcm5

jcm5 Mu-43 Veteran

May 12, 2014
    anyone have experience buying Open Box items from BB? I saw something with "Excellent - Open Box" label and was wondering what the quality usually is for such items, as the $ was fairly a pretty good deal for what it was.

2. demiro

demiro Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    I've never done it but I have seen lots of great deals reported. You can return open box items, and they should still have full warranty, so I don't think you are risking much.

I seem recall a few people also suggesting that you can negotiate price down, especially if anything is missing from box.
  3. CWRailman

CWRailman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    I have bought several open box computers from them and years ago a multi disk CD player from them and one TV. All were in excellent condition. Several came without instructions and the TV was missing the remote and some cables and in each case the missing items were listed on the box but otherwise no problem. I always check their open box items when entering the store.
  4. jcm5

jcm5 Mu-43 Veteran

May 12, 2014
    Oh okay great. Thanks for sharing your own experience with BB open box items. I'll give it a try sometime and see what comes in their box.
  5. Redwing

Redwing Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 2, 2015
    I bought two open box cameras from BB, he first was a GF3, with two kit zooms, which was my introduction to M43 cameras about 4 years ago. It came with the full warranty, and I purchased an extended warranty for a discounted price on it as well. Never had an issue with it. My 5 yr old daughter has recently proclaimed the GF3 as her camera.

I also bought a slightly roughed up RX100 from them (is was literally $150 last summer), it worked fine, but,1) it was pretty badly damaged, and i didn't think it would last, and 2) I didn't like the ergonomics of the camera, and returned it. BB asked no questions (although I tend to be an elite level customer, maybe that gives me more leeway).

Online, they will usually detail what's missing (if anything) in their open box/returned merchandise portion of the website.

I should also state that if you buy their GS warranties, they will basically cover the camera for anything short of theft (I always buy their warranties when I buy a camera there). I recently purchased a high end compact (not the RX100), brought it in for a sticky lens cover, and excessive dust in the lens assembly, and it was replaced on the spot, plus I was refunded the difference between the current price and the original sales price. That's good customer service.

I do like my local camera store as well, but my local BB (which has one of their full camera shops in it), is really hard to beat.
  6. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I've done it a few times... never had issues.
  7. felipegeek

felipegeek Mu-43 Enthusiast

Jan 8, 2014
    Miami, FL
    I bought a screw on one for $7 that works just dandy. Was very happy with the purchase.
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2015
  8. madmaxmedia

madmaxmedia Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 20, 2010
    I think it's going to vary on a case by case basis, depending on how the particular item was treated. That being said, they typically come with full warranty and you can always return the item if you find a problem after carefully inspecting it.