1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Best Buy eBay store has GX85 in stock!

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by agentlossing, May 8, 2016.

1. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Didn't post this in the deals forum since, well, it's not a deal, but:

Panasonic LUMIX GX85 Mirrorless Camera w/ G VARIO 12-32mm f/3.5-5.6 ASPH. MEG...

I pulled the trigger, as I've been hoping to get the camera in hand before we take a trip in a couple weeks. After ordering, I sent them a message inquiring as to whether the camera is actually in stock and will ship now, here was their reply:

"I can definitely assist with your availability inquiry.

I have determined that this item is available and it has an estimated arrival date on 5/12/16. Thank you for your endearing patience."

Never hurts to be considered endearing, I guess. :p

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    LOL. My Amazon order says that the release date is May 20. Not sure how Best Buy is able to do this. One of the benefits to having regional names is that you can be sure that this is not a grey market from Japan or Europe.

I'm tempted but I'm going to wait. My big trip that I bought this camera for is not until July.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Pstmstr

Pstmstr Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2016
    They have them in stock for pickup today at the Tulsa, OK store on 71st St.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  4. Danny_SWE

Danny_SWE Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 30, 2013
    Sweden (Gothenburg)
    I read on some places that it will be in stock may 16 at the first. So that store might be one of them.

Skickat från min LG-H815 via Tapatalk

5. John M Flores

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Just found a BestBuy 18 miles away (Union NJ) that now has my name on it!

• Like Like x 2
  6. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I don't think Panasonic has named a hard sale date. Their online store just says "mid May." So I don't think Best Buy is doing anything wrong, frankly I'm surprised they're so eager to sell a M4/3 camera, since none of the stores I've gone into have ever carried a single one! No matter, I'm happy as long as I get a shipping confirmation within the next couple days!

7. John M Flores

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Something something grubby little hands...

20160508_192039.

• Like Like x 4
  8. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Aww... man!

Post some observations soon. Some of us will hang on your every word ;)

9. John M Flores

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ

LOL

- Kit lens is plastic mount
    - Looking forward to USB charging since I never leave the house without a battery pack these days
    - Grip is a little small. Smaller than GX7. Ergonomics OK but not like putting on a favorite pair of shoes.
    - Body is plastic but feels dense
    - Focus confirmation beep is right in my right ear! (I'm a left eye viewer). Even at middle level still kind of loud. Only option is to turn off completely.
    - Looks small and serious with the Panny 12-35 F2.8

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Plastic mount confirmed! I'm not too worried, as that lens will never be my everyday carry go-to. I'm a prime guy, mainly. The 12-32mm will see "light use" on my wife's GF7.

I wonder if the grip will grow more comfortable with use. I am the type to add an external grip to my main camera, though none have shown up on the marketplace yet. I'm hoping JB Designs comes out with one, as I've always really liked theirs.

11. John M Flores

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    - Shutter is noticeably quiet and gentle feeling compared to other cameras that I've used recently.

• Like Like x 1
  12. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Hmmm. My local Best Buy has three in stock. Thanks for the tip. Too bad the kit lens has a plastic mount. It'll be worth less (than the metal mount version) on resale ... and I hate accumulating kit lenses.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

13. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I highly doubt it will be a factor in resale for a lens of that level. Most people won't even care to ask.

14. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sorry, first thing I thought of..... :biggrin:

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 3
  15. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Similar at all to the GM series, if you're familiar with those? Obviously it won't be exactly the same as they're different mechanisms, but I am hoping they sound close as I really like my GM5 shutter.

16. memzinla

memzinla Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 31, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Wow many Best Buy stores have them in stock. :O Someone should post pictures, and original video files.

17. John M Flores

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Ha ha yeah I had a lot to do today so this was great procrastination!

I've got a GM1 and it is nearly as soft/quiet. The GX85 has a touch more clickiness.

• Like Like x 2
  18. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Even the Best Buy stores three and four hours away from my neck of the woods don't seem to have them in stock. They are very Sony biased here in Oregon.

19. John M Flores

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Unless my hands magically shrink I'm not sure it will grow more comfortable with use. Instead, I think I will have to adapt from a typical DSLR way of holding a camera (80% of weight in the right hand) to bearing 80% of the camera's weight with my left hand.

Last edited: May 10, 2016
  20. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Mine should be here tomorrow, according to UPS! Expedited shipping is really expedited, since they only shipped it today (did not pay for next day shipping, just the middle option). Woot!

• Like Like x 1