Best Buy Digipower BLS-1 replacement battery $4.99

dougjgreen

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Doug Green
Unfortunately, I personally have no use for this deal I stumbled on, because I bought 2 Halcyon BLS-1 replacement batteries and a charger for $21 about 3 weeks ago from Amazon.

asaulo1

Mu-43 Veteran
just got one for my "not here yet" EP3 as a backup battery... I also ordered some generic ones from ebay with the charger so I should be pretty set for my cruise... yahoo!!!!

dougjgreen

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Doug Green
Does this work with EPM2 and the original charger? thanks!

If the original battery is a BLS-5, the BLS-1 is compatible with it. Oly changed from the BLS-1 to the BLS-5 to meet some new regulations in Japan, but the BLS-1 and BLS-5 batteries and chargers are interoperable - despite there being some contradictory information in some of Oly's documentation.

RichardB

Snapshooter
Real Name
Richard
I got one of these DigiPower batteries from Best Buy when the deal was first posted, and it has worked fine through a couple power cycles. The battery label has specs that are as good as or better than the OEM battery.

The price is now 10% lower at $4.49, shipped. If I needed more, I would get them now, because Best Buy seems to be clearing them out.

A note on compatibility: The BLS-1 and BLS-5 batteries deliver the same voltage and are equally compatible with cameras that either fits in. The difference is that the BLS-5 communicates with the BCS-5 charger through a 4th electrical contact, which is missing on the BLS-1 and BCS-1. Users have reported that a battery of either type can be charged in either type of charger. However, Olympus has explained that the -5 combination saves electricity and prolongs battery life. If I had a BCS-5 charger, I would use only BLS-5 batteries so as to make use of the charger's capabilities.

dougjgreen

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Doug Green
I got one of these DigiPower batteries from Best Buy when the deal was first posted, and it has worked fine through a couple power cycles. The battery label has specs that are as good as or better than the OEM battery.

The price is now 10% lower at $4.49, shipped. If I needed more, I would get them now, because Best Buy seems to be clearing them out.

A note on compatibility: The BLS-1 and BLS-5 batteries deliver the same voltage and are equally compatible with cameras that either fits in. The difference is that the BLS-5 communicates with the BCS-5 charger through a 4th electrical contact, which is missing on the BLS-1 and BCS-1. Users have reported that a battery of either type can be charged in either type of charger. However, Olympus has explained that the -5 combination saves electricity and prolongs battery life. If I had a BCS-5 charger, I would use only BLS-5 batteries so as to make use of the charger's capabilities.

Except that BLS-5 batteries cost MUCH more than BLS-1 clone batteries - especially with a deal like this. Like $50 vs $4.50 I hardly think that tradeoff is worth it.

DeoreDX

Mu-43 Veteran
They were $4.99 on the web page but were only $2.99 at my store. So if you are doing an in-store pickup might be worth it to just stop by the store instead of ordering them for pickup in the store.

TetonTom

Mu-43 Regular
Looks like they have them in stock at my local store. I'm going to get 3 or 4 for my wife's epl5. We love our Oly cameras, but are still used to Nikon DSLR batteries...

sfmurph

Mu-43 Regular
I just picked one up at my local store in San Francisco. They had like 5 more. At checkout, the cashier remarked at how big the price drop was: "That's like 90% off. Good for you for finding that!" Thanks to this forum!

Stewmander

Mu-43 Regular
Awesome find! I came across this a few days ago but didnt realize it was free shipping so I waiting until I had time to pick up in store to order one. When this thread stated that the price dropped to $4.50 and had free shipping I ordered one for my E-PL1 right then! Thanks again, killer deal for a great camera even with so many more advanced models in the line.

Latest threads

Top Bottom