Best bounce flash for G2

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by nickfromlondon, Feb 4, 2012.

1. nickfromlondon

nickfromlondon Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2011
    Hi everyone

Thanks as ever for taking the time to read my post.

I have read quite a few posts about using bounce flash with the G2 and similar. Having invested in the prime 20mm lens too now I don't want to spend too much on a flash.

Can you recommend a cheap solution for me? Something not to big...

I really don't have a big budget and, of course, don't mind going second hand.

Thanks in advance!

Nick

2. nickfromlondon

Dec 4, 2011
    sorry to bump this up but does no-one have a suggestion to make?

Thanks in advance

Nick

3. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    Look for a used Olympus FL-36R.

4. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    If you want something even smaller, the FL-300R.

How much bounce do you need? With flashes, smaller = less power, always.

5. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Skip the (R) version, as it is a wireless model for Olympus cameras. The 36 series runs off of 2 AA batteries and has a horrible recharge time, so I'd ignore those versions as well. Buy yourself a used FL-50 (or the identical, Panasonic rebranded 500) if you can find it cheap enough. Otherwise, grab yourself the Metz (make sure it's the Olympus version):
    Metz 44 AF-1 mecablitz Digital Flash for Olympus / MZ 44312OPL
    There's also the Vivitar 383 and Nissin di466. I think one of those bounces, but doesn't swivel, so Google before you buy.

If you don't mind a manual flash, buy a Lumopro or Yongnuo, especially as you can use it as a remote flash. Read here for the great wide world of manual, off-camera flash (which is actually an advantage if you're already bouncing):
    Strobist

6. nickfromlondon

Dec 4, 2011
    thanks chaps for the excellent advice!

7. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    The R series flashes also work as an optical slave for ANY camera. The slave sensor on the R-series flashes are much better than you would expect from getting a third-party optical eye. The third-party slave sensors are not likely to be as sensitive and reliable to trigger.

I agree with those suggestions, and agree that it's well worth getting the bigger flash with faster recycle time. However, the OP did say he wanted small... xP

The one that doesn't swivel would be the Nissin.

Also a good suggestion. ;) Or Sunpak as well.