1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Best Body/Kit for legacy glass?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by chrism_scotland, May 2, 2012.

1. chrism_scotland

chrism_scotland Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    I've been using an Olympus EP2 for a while now and using some Canon FD lenses which I've really enjoyed using but I find the manual focus zooming a pain on the EP2 as there is no dedicated zoom button :(

I'm just wondering what peoples favourite setup is for manual glass as I'm currently reviewing my kit as its dwindled to just the EP2, VF2, 17mm and a Canon 50 f1.8 and I'm not sure which direction to take!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

2. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    Of all the bodies I've had ( E-P1, E-PL1, E-PL2, E-PM1, E-P3 , GF2 and G2) the best body I have used for legacy glass is the G2. I would imagine the G3 and GH series would be just as good. Alrhough it lacks IBIS the body is more stable, easier to hold and handles better. It also has an integrated EVF where you need to add one (such as a VF2 or VF3) on the PEN cameras.

3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Are there any issues with your E-P2 + VF-2 combination for legacy glass? That sounds like a fine combination to me, as long as you're using ambient light. If you use flash or strobes, then I would upgrade to a body with a better LCD (like the E-PL2 or newer) which can still use your VF-2 or has an equivalently good EVF built-in.

4. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    The E-M5 is the best body I've had for legacy glass, though the E-P3 works fine as well. The E-M5 adds IBIS with half shutter press. This, combined with Magnify, yields a very useful body - especially for longer lenses. I use a 135 and 300mm - really helps!

Haven't owned a Panny, so can't comment, but the G2 would get the nod for price/performance.

5. chrism_scotland

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    The EP2 is fine but its a pain having to go into The MF zoom, as there's no magnify button.

6. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    Well, you could use any of the newer PEN cameras. The E-P3 and E-PL3 both have dedicated magnify buttons and the E-PM1 you can designate the video record button to be magnify. If you want to stick wit the PEN cameras I would suggest the E-P3 with the larger grip. That gets it almost as stable and comfortable as the mini DSLR body styled cameras.

If you have the money, then I would agree the OMD is probably the BEST of the lot because of the 5 axis IS although I have to say that I have never been sold on the need for IS of any sort. It's amazing how well it works (especially in the OMD) but I have often viewed IS as a solution in search of a problem. I rarely come across a situation where I NEED to have it and even when I use my Olympus bodies I often turn it off. That's not to say that it isn't useful. Some folks swear by it...it just has never been something I felt I needed.

7. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    The E-PL1 was the first PEN with a magnify button, which is why I went with it rather than an E-P2 for use with legacy glass, even though I preferred the look/feel/controls of the E-P2. I find that for legacy glass, the E-PL1 doesn't give up a whole lot to the newer PENS, especially when you also consider that bodies are now going for $150 or so. I wouldn't say the E-PL1 is the best, but I would argue that its the best value for MF glass.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Oh yes... sorry I forgot about that deficiency in the E-P1 and E-P2.

I think the E-PL2 or newer would be a good solution. Besides the better magnification setup you also have twice the screen resolution for focusing on the LCD when you can't be tied to the eye-level finder.

Although it does have the Magnify button, I wouldn't suggest the E-PL1 because of its tiny, low-res screen as well as complete lack of dials. You'll be going from two dials to none, which is a big drop in usability. Would you be comfortable with using repeated button presses for every setting change?

9. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'd probably use a G2 for best handling and price. The E-M5 gripped would be top dog.

10. chrism_scotland

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Thanks guys, I was swithering on ditching my MFT kit completely this week but I've picked up an Olympus 45mm and even within day 1 its convinced me to stay!

I am going to look at picking up a second body that I can use and be better suited to manual glass so will probably take a look for an EPL2 or a G2 although the G3 is currently priced very nicely!

11. ripleys baby

ripleys baby Straw clutcher

Aug 10, 2011
    I think Tesco direct still has G2 plus 14-42 for £199 ! Total bargain

12. Minniesmum

Minniesmum Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    UK
    Agree. I have the E-PL1 for legacy glass. Can't fault it for price and features. The grip helps with the heavier larger lenses for stability. I went for OLY due to the in-body IS , however the Pany cameras are neat, stylish and the prices are good atm. Good luck in your choosing !

13. chrism_scotland

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Just checked sadly the G2 is now out of stock in Tesco :(
    Next price is £280 at Jessops, is there much difference between a G2 and G3 aside from the Sensor?? Not sure if I'd rather have a G2 & the 14-42 or a G3 body only.

14. ripleys baby

Aug 10, 2011
    I use the G3, but if I was to buy again , I would take the better user experience of the G2 over the better sensor of the G3.
    Having said that the GH2 is coming down in price . £549 body only ,

15. chrism_scotland

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    I think if I was replacing my EP2 I'd consider the GH2 but it seems there little value in selling the EP2, I doubt I'd get much for it.

Might keep an eye out for a G2 or even a G1 if its a better camera to handle.

16. ripleys baby

Aug 10, 2011
    I was thinking about trading in my gear until i found out how much i would be allowed. I think it makes more sense to keep what you have , and just build up
    a collection.