best body for adopted lens

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by blb, Jun 4, 2012.

1. blb

blb Guest

Does one body have a clear advantage over the others for use with manual focus adopted lens? Anything near the Nex systems peeking feature?

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    The E-M5 has the clear advantage with 5-axis In-Body Image Stabilization.

3. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    +1 for the M5.

4. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Seems like the deciding factor is how good your vision is vs how stable your hands are.

5. Brianetta

Brianetta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    North East England
    Brian Ronald
    Helen's GF3 has picture-in-picture zoomed focus assist, which lets her seek focus and frame at the same time. That's pretty neat.

6. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    Mike
    Any Ricoh or Sony body with focus peaking, though the Nex 7 is best. Oh yeah, this is an m43 board...you can't go wrong with any good IBIS. I wish Panasonic and Olympus would implement some type of peaking...it is really the killer Manual Focus app.

7. blb

blb Guest

ibis

How does ibis assist with manual focusing?

8. Monza76

Monza76 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2012
    I'd say any model with a built in EVF since it is more convenient than an add on and more accurate than an LCD.

IBIS doesn't assist focus but it means that all lenses are stabilized.

9. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    It doesn't assist with focusing, it assists with getting a better photo with your legacy lenses than you were ever able to get on the original body. Well, I guess it does help a little bit because the view is stabilized in the viewfinder with the E-M5, which is something that was never possible before with IBIS before. Before the E-M5 you needed to use Optical IS to get this stabilized viewfinder, but of course that would not apply to legacy lenses which were made BEFORE Image Stabilization.

What helps with manual focusing is the EVF. I have not yet found a more natural aid to focusing on a Non-Reflex digital camera. Of course it's not perfect, but a high-grade EVF (ie, like the VF-2, E-M5, GH2, etc.) is as good as the OVF was on my pro-grade DSLR bodies without any split-prism installed (by as good I mean overall - it has advantages over the OVF and disadvantages as well). But unlike the OVF, the EVF allows me to use such focus aids as the Magnifier on all Olympus PEN and OM-D bodies, or the Focus Peaking of NEX bodies. As for focus aid "features", every system has a different feature. Olympus has the Magnifier, Sony has Focus Peaking, Panasonic has the picture-in-picture which Brianetta mentioned, etc. Features are features... they're all good and useful, but good hardware like a quality EVF is more important.

10. Brianetta

Brianetta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    North East England
    Brian Ronald
    Yet I just cannot grow to love one. On every camera that has offered me a choice (I've owned two, and used others) I have never found myself using the viewfinder. I find the screen far too liberating to explore the EVF's advantages.

11. brutto

brutto Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 17, 2011
    Two thing would make my E-P3 a better camera, for me at least.

1. The laws of physics to be changed so I could get less DoF.

2. Some sort of focus peaking to enable manual focus without magnifying the view. Come on Olympus - if Ricoh and Sony can do it, so can you.

12. Ninja

Ninja Mu-43 Regular

Jan 30, 2010
    At least you have the choice. I understand the lack of "love" that EVFs experience, but I find the LCD to be essentially unusable on any of my cameras in bright outdoor light and am glad to have an EVF in those circumstances.

I find there is a place for both.

Any number of landscape photographers choose to use "live view" when manually focusing even when using a body with an OVF. It just depends upon what is "right" for you under the circumstances.

The one real "problem" I see with EVFs is that the current crop of µ4/3 bodies still use physical shutters which result in a non-continuous image in the viewfinder. I was speaking with someone last week about this problem as he was left to guess what was happening when shooting birds in flight with his µ4/3 kit...which, by the way, makes a fabulous digi-scoping combination when he was shooting video of birds in a nest and so on.

Perhaps the next generation of bodies will get around to these changes.

Cheers

13. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I agree, freedom from the eye-level finder is a great boon! There are still times though when the EVF becomes necessary, particularly if you use Manual lenses all the time. Such as shooting sports or action, or shooting in bright light. That's why I love systems like the Olympus PEN or the GX series, is the way they easily give you a choice and don't force you to lug around a big viewfinder all the time. You can bring out when you need it, and otherwise keep it packed away when you don't. I call that the best of both worlds. ;)

14. zettapixel

zettapixel Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 12, 2010
    NY
    Exactly, and together with OM-D viewfinder these two make all the difference, especially for telephoto!
    This is something I completely overlooked before buying OM-D. This Sunday I decided to use FD 135/2.8 in Bronx zoo. Well, when the camera was stabilized against my eye socket and i magnified the view (not too much - 5 or 7x) and invoked IBIS - WOW!
    Not that I couldn't make these shots with e-p1 but to have that many keepers with e-m5 it takes so much less time and effort! Sorry for a lot of exclamation points - this was a pleasant surprise for me.

Anyway, some shots, it usually took 2-3 sec to aim and shoot. My daughter didn't wait much...

p786034427-3.

p92333711-3.

p787879080-3.

p339593955-3.

p247397679-3.

15. macalterego

macalterego Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 10, 2012
    Lawrence, KS
    Jeffrey McPheeters
    It depends on what you are shooting. For example, NEX has a larger sensor and thus shallower DOF for a given aperture. If you like wide or normal fast lenses for shallow DOF, especially for video, or in low light, the focus peeking of the NEX really helps the user because the shallower the DOF the harder it is to focus. Even if you use longer telephotos, but shoot tight shots, fairly close to the minimum distance the lens can go, that shallow DOF makes it harder to nail the focus so focus peeking is a great help, although without the OMD's IBIS, the NEX is at a disadvantage with long lenses because the further away the subject, the more movement makes it hard to hold the camera still enough for focus peeking to help.

On the other hand, Olympus created the OM-D built on a history of a great journalistic tool; photos taken candidly or from a distance. Remember they created some of the smallest and sharpest telephotos ever, right up there with Nikkor ED glass. They weren't as fast as the huge Nikon or Canon counterparts in many instances, but you could hand hold them and they were extremely sharp at every aperture. The 200mm f/4, 300mm f/4.5 and 400mm f/6.3 were outstanding at getting 'close' to subjects without the subject being aware. From that perspective, the IBIS on the OM-D is much more help than focus peeking without IBIS, because once the lens is stabilized in the EVF, it's quite easy to 'see' focus, especially with those older lenses that were designed with dampened focusing to make it 'easy' to find focus. In addition, the OM-D has the ability to show you what you'll see in the view finder, so even an manual lens stopped down, or using a B&W filter, you get to see what the end result will be before you ever take the photo. That's extremely helpful.

So, for a video with 35mm f/1.4 or 85mm 1.2, the NEX has an advantage because 1) the camera is probably on a tripod so IBIS is needless and 2) shallow DOF makes focusing difficult without focus peeking. For shooting hand held with a 135 f/2.5 or 200mm f/4 or 300 f/4.5 at the zoo or bird park, I'd say the OM-D is the better choice. If the GH3 offers focus peeking, then someone like myself would probably keep a GH3 primarily for video projects and the OM-D for street photography and landscape.

16. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    In case this wasn't clear from the replies you got so far - no m4/3 body has any manual focus assist feature other than magnification of the focus area currently.

There is a rumor that the Panasonic GH3 (expected to be announced at Photokina in the next couple weeks) will include focus peaking. I don't know if that's true, but it might be worth waiting another 1-2 weeks to find out if that's something you're specifically looking for. Panasonic won't have IBIS, so assuming that feature materializes it'd probably come down to whether you're more interested in stabilization or manual focus assistance. And I guess whether the GH3 is in your budget or not.

17. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    I say anything with EVF and ergonomic grip is essential.

18. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    E-M5 for sure, mainly for the 5 axis-IBIS. The trick is to use digital zoom as opposed to to magnify. I'm able to focus much faster using this method. Only the E-M5 and 3rd gen Pens have the digital zoom though.

The newer Lumix bodies have the picture-in-picture that works pretty well too.