1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Best bike handlebar-mount bag?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by bitmatt, Jul 17, 2012.

1. bitmatt

bitmatt Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 7, 2012
    Cleveland
    Matt
    Hi all- anyone have any opinions about handlebar bags?

I've been using a backpack to ride with my E-M5 and 4 lenses (3 small primes + 12-50), but I'm not in love with this setup. First- HOT- my back has been crazy sweaty under the pack this summer. Second- SLOW- I'll see something to photograph, stop, sling off the pack, unzipper, pull out the camera, shoot, put back in pack, zipper, sling back on, keep riding. This is ponderous. I'm thinking by having the camera right in front of me on the bars I could almost stop the bike and grab the camera in the same motion, shoot, and go.

I was looking at this one, the Topeak TourGuide, which is not really listed as a "camera bag", but is padded & comes with a rain cover. I keep all my lenses in separate padded neoprene drawstring sleeves, so I'm not concerned that there aren't dedicated lens pockets.

Any other suggestions?

2. Markb

Markb Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 9, 2011
    Kent, UK
    Mark
    Ortlieb make a padded insert which will fit a large number of handlebar bags. Their own ones of course but any bag based on the Klickfix system will fit it too. I had one for my Altura bag. I could get an Olympus e520 and its two kit zooms in it. Maybe another prime lens with a bit of wiggling.

Ortlieb Waterproof Handlebar Bags - Bike

3. pheaukus

pheaukus Mu-43 Regular

Jun 22, 2012
    +1 Ortlieb

Ultimate 5 and Camera insert:
    ortliebbagl. [​IMG]

(I do not have this specific bag but own a couple of Ortliebs.)

4. bitmatt

bitmatt Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 7, 2012
    Cleveland
    Matt
    Thanks for the Ortlieb advice- time to do some research.

5. frank2

frank2 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 29, 2011
    Columbus, Ohio
  6. pheaukus

pheaukus Mu-43 Regular

Jun 22, 2012
    I forgot to mention one thing about the Ortliebs: they are made for Central European climate. That means they keep moisture from coming in but will not transport accumulated moisture outwards. Outside in, inside out, they are entirely waterproof.

This can become a problem in extreme climates like desert areas. When a bag is packed in the cool and damp morning air, it will not lose water that condensates on the inside as outside temperature and humidity change rapidly. This may result in swampy clothes or damaged camera equipment.

Inside Europe this has never caused me trouble yet so I'd think it should be good for Cleveland.