Best Bargain you ever caught

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by uscrx, Aug 23, 2013.

1. uscrx

uscrx Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    Shasta Cascade
    Got this off Craigslist when living in Dallas ...I think 2 or 3 years ago.
    Mostly all Pentax/Takumar.

$600. Turned around and sold most for $3,000 on Ebay.

Well, I did also buy a mint Olympus FT with 40mm 1.4, 20mm 3.5 and 50-90mm zoom for $110.

2. uscrx

uscrx Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    Shasta Cascade
    Story behind the lot of Pentax is a guy selling his deceased friend's estate.. his friend was a Pentax connoisseur and a collector.

Lesson can't take it with you. So Don't Hoard.
  3. RajC

RajC Mu-43 Regular

Jul 6, 2013

What's the difference between hoarding and GAS?
    A lot of people on this forum need help.
  4. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Wow. I used Pentax for many years and I get all excited just looking at that stuff.
  5. pcnyc

pcnyc Mu-43 Regular

Sep 15, 2010
    A few years back I got a Canon EOS-3 with EF 28-135mm USM for $20, it turned on and focused and everything, but since I didn't have any film to really test it, I just took it to a local camera store and turned it into easy $250.

Later I bought an e-pl1 with that money and the rest is history :smile:
  6. Danny_SWE

Danny_SWE Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 30, 2013
    Sweden (Gothenburg)
    have bought much stuff but not made a really good camera deal yet... maybe this...

I was in big need for a travel zoom, so I desperately ordered the Panny 12-35/2.8, when I put the order I noticed that they had some deal going on...

The deal was that they included an expensive carbon fibre tripod with ball head! (Triopo)... and I needed a new since I sold my big Manfrotto.

That was really awesome. Worth about $377 so it felt way better ordering that expensive lens then :)
  7. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    I picked up a Rolleiflex 2.8 E which had visible pockmarks on the coating surface of the taking lens, for $50 about 6 years ago.

It turns out that this cosmetic blemish has no detectable effect upon image quality, except for an increased tendency to flare if direct light strikes the lens.

If the lens was cosmetically pristine, this camera would sell for at least $500.
  8. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    I am the guy who overpays for everything in spite of being cheap and trying to shop around. So, my $239 shipping included G5 has to be my best photography deal ever.
  9. Uncle Frank

Uncle Frank Photo Enthusiast

Jul 26, 2012
    San Jose, CA
    I picked up an Oly 40-150 for $99 when it was on sale.
  10. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Oh yeah, I got one of those too!
  11. scotttnz

scotttnz Mu-43 Regular

Jan 16, 2012
    I bought the shop display model GF1 on clearance special at a local big box electronics retailer. It came with the 20mm prime and cost $100 less than I could get the lens alone for at the time. A week later I sold the body only for almost what I paid for the kit, making the 20, which I kept almost free. :)
  12. zap

zap Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 23, 2012
    i bought my EPM1 for £129 brand new...
  13. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Best bargain that I ever caught was a rainbow trout...
  14. edwardconde

edwardconde Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    earlier this year i picked up a like new ep3 for $225 with less than 500 on the shutter.. i want to say sometime in april.
  15. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Wow, some great deals in here! I'm sooooooooooooooo jealous.

My best deal was a little more modest: a Yashica 50mm f/2 in excellent condition, bought on eBay for the princely price of $0.01. (OK, to be fair, shipping was $4.77.) Not only was it a great deal, but it's become my favorite legacy lens--amazing resolution, cool bokeh, silky smooth and a joy to use.
  16. Toddster

Toddster Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 7, 2013
    Todd Cleaver
    I was at a yard sale a few week ago and spotted a lightweight tripod. Not needing another cheap tripod I thought to myself I won't even ask the price so that I'm not tempted. The woman running the sale must have noticed me looking because she called out "I'd take 25 cents for that". Well how can anyone say no to that? :drinks:
  17. juangrande

juangrande Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 2, 2012
    A double hookup of 40 lb. wahoo the 1st time I fished the Sea of Cortez!
  18. uscrx

uscrx Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    Shasta Cascade
    Lol so No response for 2 weeks and today we are on page 2!
  19. uscrx

uscrx Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    Shasta Cascade
    Well...I spent $250 on flies for guys fly-fishing trip...and we caught...1 fish... No bargain..

Caught over 50 last year...that was a bargain
  20. uscrx

uscrx Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    Shasta Cascade
    You tell me what the difference is between GAS and hoarding is...