Best bang for the buck

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by dixeyk, Dec 19, 2012.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    You can get some terrific m43 cameras for not much coin these days. Right now a nice clean low mileage E-P1 can be had for around $125, new E-PL2's form Cameta (black) are $199 and G3's are going for $299 new (Adorama). What's the best bang for the buck? I'm going to go with the G3. I've considered picking one up, I am not convinced about the smaller body and loss of some of the controls from previous G series cameras but for the money it is a heck of a deal right now.

It may not be an E-M5 but for under $300 it's tough to beat.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    I must say, coming from a G1 and GH2 I've never been able to come to grips with the G3, and I mean that literally. But you're right, they're cheap now.
  3. RobertinArabia

RobertinArabia Mu-43 Regular

Sep 6, 2012
    I have GF1, GF2, G3. and EPL1.
    All produce the goods. With the external viewfinders, the little guys are great.. The G3 does everything well, but it is a little bigger.
  4. sammykhalifa

sammykhalifa Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    G3 seems like a sweet deal right now (or a GH2 if you can get on one of the sales).
  5. brianb032

brianb032 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 10, 2011
    Combine Amazon's 2% cashback with an extra 5% that you could get elsewhere, and you could easily get the G3 for $279 brand-new. That's an amazing price for one hell of a camera. The GF3 with the X-zoom at $278 isn't too bad either.
  6. MacBook

MacBook Mu-43 Regular

Jul 24, 2010
    South Carolina
    I used the G3 as my primary camera from the time it came out for a year, until I bought the Olympus OM-D EM-5. There are still things I prefer about the Panasonic, but ultimately I use the EM-5 principally because of the processor and the sometimes useful image stabilization.
  7. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    I found this PM1 plus the 17mm 2.8 for GF (apparently the "cutest" lens that matched the silver on the camera) for $350 all brand new! The black cost more of course :(

8. nublar

nublar Mu-43 Regular

Jan 22, 2013
    G5 with 14-42 and 45-150 was $500 shipped at amazon last month.
  9. LudwigVB

LudwigVB Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 14, 2012
    I bought a G3 a couple of weeks ago, for several reasons but price was certainly a major attraction. I can safely say that it's a great camera for ease of use and quality of results. The only (minor) drawbacks are the awkward jog wheel and the weird menus, but I expect I'll get used to those.
  10. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    This was my experience too, and I heartily endorse the G3. I didn't find it too small at all--like all cameras, you have to get used to it, but it never felt too in my hands. My only quibble about the size was the protruding viewfinder, which makes it sort of "square" and difficult to fit in a pocket compared to the svelter RF-style cameras like the GF, GX, EPM, or EPL-series cameras. But it was a great little camera. For $300 it's an outright steal.

EDIT: I also found the lack of an eye-detector to be a non-issue, though others may disagree.
  11. svtquattro

svtquattro Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 24, 2012
    Vancouver, Canada
    Last week $249 on with free shipping, body only!!

G3 that is, new not refurb!
  12. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    I've been sort of looking for a good deal on an EVF to use with my E-PL1 for a while without much luck. Last week I was doing some trolling on eBay and came across a G3 that seemed too cheap and I ended up buying it for just over $200. I'm excited to see how well it fits my needs.