Best bag/pouch/case within a bag

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by jch3n, Jan 17, 2013.

1. jch3n

jch3n New to Mu-43

Jan 16, 2013
    What are some bag/pouch/case suggestions to enclose a GX1 or G3 with a Summilux 25mm? I just need something minimal to protect the gear if I throw it in a backpack or some other bag.

2. RamblinR

RamblinR Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Sunshine Coast, Qld Australia
    Maria
  3. Adubo

Adubo SithLord

Nov 4, 2010
    Globetrotter
    Andrew
    Crumpler haven!

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 App

4. greenlight

greenlight Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2012
    UK
    Colin B
    I use a Crumpler Banana Hammock in that situation - takes up very little additional space in the main bag and has a handy little pocket for a spare battery or two.

5. panyuser

panyuser Mu-43 Regular

Dec 22, 2011
    I grabbed a padded box for about £12 on eBay, search for "camera insert".

I found on that was just about the right size, after measuring my GX1 and lenses together.

It fits my GX1, PL25, as well as 45mm/1.8, 14mm/2.5, and LVF2. There's no space for lens pen or filters, which go separately in my backpack. And, the orientation of the camera is dependant on me removing the viewfinder first, sometimes. With the smaller pancakes it fits in with the viewfinder still attached.

It's well-padded, and I've not had an issue yet.

6. poli4465

poli4465 New to Mu-43

Jan 10, 2013
    I'm looking for the same thing -- I've been eyeing the Lowepro Dashpoint 30 or Clik Micro.

7. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    I just ordered an ONA The Bowery. Will report later when I get it.

ONA | The Bowery - Camera bag and insert

I have tried the Crumpler Haven inserts previously. The small is too small. The medium is a good width and depth but is too tall. Even with a zoom mounted on my E-M5, I had plenty of headroom.

8. OhWellOK

OhWellOK Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 4, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    I use a Crumpler Haven in small to hold either my Epl5 or Om-D with a spare lens or 2 + hood. I keep this in my daily commuting messenger bag. Most of my lenses are on the smaller side(Pan 14, 20, 14-45, Oly 9-18, 14-42IIR). The Haven also has pockets on exterior to hold a spare SD cards, and battery. Everything else goes in the main messenger bag-filter wallet, UltraPod, Charger etc. I store the camera lens down into the center divided compartment like a holster and put a lens in each side divider(dividers fold so each compartment is closed) if that makes sense?

If you have a Pan 25-that's a fairly large lens I think? You may want to look at the medium for a little more room. As dav1dz mentioned these bags do run a bit tall for the m43 kits, so that may or may not work for you depending on your camera and how you set up the insert compartments.

I have a Timbuk2 Snoop in small on order-so I I'm going to see how that works out for daily and photo/walk use to carry a bit more stuff. I think you can buy the Timbuk2 snoop inserts separately so you may want to check those out too.

• Like Like x 1
  9. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    For me, choosing an insert has been almost as time consuming as choosing bags. :eek: I took this picture to add to the https://www.mu-43.com/f67/bags-more-bags-593/
    thread. I always come back to the Crumpler Haven Small. As OhWellOK said, I love the pockets on the outside to hold spare batteries, cards, etc. While the top of the bag is tall is does push down easily. The bag shown is a very small one, an extra small Timbuk2. The second bag is a Tenba mini messenger. The small Haven is holding a body with kit lens, O45 and O40 - 150.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/92168605@N02/8390331252/" title="P1170205 by David Dornblaser, on Flickr">"500" height="375" alt="P1170205"></a>

10. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Too bad that, like many Crumpler products, is not offered in the US (and the Amazon listing won't ship here). Luckily my wife works for a UK company and will be in the London office in about a month.

11. jch3n

jch3n New to Mu-43

Jan 16, 2013
    how much room would you say there is to spare in the extra small timbuk2 with the small crumpler haven? enough for a water bottle and shell rain jacket? i'm trying to get a sense of what would fit in my arcteryx aerios pack, which is a 10L pack, so slightly larger than the xs timbuk2.

12. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    No, you can't get a shell and a water bottle in the XS Timbuk2 with the small Haven. The water bottle by itself, yes.

13. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    FYI - the Snoop is now once again available in XS for $29.00. They haven't been available for a while. They should work with a number of bags. Snoop Camera Insert - Timbuk2 Bags

14. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Is a Domke wrap too minimal?

--Ken

15. jch3n

jch3n New to Mu-43

Jan 16, 2013
    Not at all! In the past I've wrapped my camera with a sweater before putting the whole thing in a bag. The Domke Wrap seems a little more purpose-built.

Have you used one before? How well does it stay together in a bag? What size would be appropriate for a G3 + PL25?

16. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I frequently use Domke wraps, mostly to protect my gear from getting scratched or gouged. They are minimally padded, but I'm fine with that, as I normally do not place them in bags where they might get crushed or heavily impacted.

I have a G3 and PL25 :smile:, and I could either wrap them in the small or medium-sized Domke wrap. It's a tight fit with the small wrap, and a slight bit of excess with the medium, but I would suggest the medium in case you have another item that you might want to wrap between the "fold over", like a 14mm lens.

The beauty of a Domke wrap is that you can pack/wear your camera with the wrap around it, and all you need to do is just pull off the wrap and you are ready to go. There are other companies that make wraps of different sizes and different materials ( a neoprene fabric, IIRC), so have a look at B&H's web site as they carry a large assortment. If you are into minimalist padding and protection (and concerned mostly about items scratching or gouging), then you should pick up a wrap. They are extremely affordable, and can easily be put to other uses if you do not like them for camera protection. I have four or five that I always seem to find uses for when I am packing up gear for use.

Good luck,

--Ken

17. tangfj

tangfj New to Mu-43

Jan 25, 2013
  18. Offriver

Offriver Mu-43 Regular

May 17, 2011
    This is a useful bag. It has three adjustable padded slots and seems to be meant for Sony Nex - so the size is good & compact. Similar to Crumpler haven - which was out of stock everywhere when I decided to get this instead. It also comes with a shoulder strap, but I prefer it without the strap & just toss it in my messenger bag.

Sony LCSEMF/B Camera Case for Sony E-mount Cameras
    http://amzn.com/B005KG3KNI

Shown here with my Canon EOSM w/ pancake attached and 18-55 in side pocket. Battery charger in other smaller slot & misc stuff sprinkled in.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359292675.126002.