1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Best bag for Panasonic G1?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by docfox, May 7, 2011.

1. docfox

docfox Mu-43 Regular

Mar 26, 2011
    Hatfield, PA
    I am an admitted camera bag NUT! Choosing the right bag always seems a bit like finding the ideal woman's shoe - you know, something tiny and stylish on the outside, huge and soft on the inside, reasonably priced.

I recently bought a Panny G1 with the 14-45 zoom. I have had virtually no luck finding the 'right' (small!) shoulder bag to carry the camera with the lens and strap attached, a spare battery, a couple of SD cards and a filter or two. If nothing else will fit, that's fine - if I could carry a pair of (cased) reading glasses or one legacy OM lens on an adaptor that would be a useful bonus.

I view protecting the camera from shock, dust and moisture as very important. I want the camera surrounded by something soft (no internal zippers or stiff Velcro in contact). I would prefer easy and quick access/return to the camera/lens.

Has anyone already discovered this version of the Holy Grail? If so, will you please share the make and model of your "wonder-bag"? A picture showing its custom-like fit will earn my undying gratitude!

Many thanks for the help,

George

2. chuckgoolsbee

chuckgoolsbee Mu-43 Regular

Apr 6, 2010
    Bend, Oregon
    I use a "Case Logic" brand "slr holster"
    Case Logic SLR Camera Holster > SLR Camera Cases > Case Logic

I can fit a G1, along with two lenses (my go-to glass is usually the 20mm & the 7-14) in the bag and it has extra room for memory cards, a white balance card, my mono-pod quick fit attachments, and several of my business cards (always handy when somebody shows interest in seeing my photos!)

Since it is designed for bulkier SLRs, but is still quite small, it does the job very well. It has a belt loop or can be slung over your shoulder.

3. GwagDesigns

GwagDesigns Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 13, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    David
    I'd look into the Rezo 110 AW by Lowepro:

Amazon.com: Lowepro Rezo 110 AW Camera Bag: Camera & Photo

I use it with my GF1, but ever since I traded my 14-45 for a 14 prime it's a bit big, but fits my friends GH1 perfectly. Its got a waterproof covering that can pop out that was a major selling point for me.

4. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    I'm using a Domke F-10 at the moment and it's the best bag I've owned, period.

5646509416_60f6543174_z.

5646514068_df941a2602_z.
    (These aren't my pics, haven't got around to a photoshoot yet!)

The F-10 is my daily bag that I carry everywhere. This is what I usually have in it:

- GH2
    - 14/f2.5
    - 20/f1.7
    - SMC-M 50/f1.4 with adapter attached

Wallet
    iPhone
    Molskine journal and a couple of pens
    Spare battery + SD card
    iPhone cable, iPhone headphones, random bits...

The most I've carried in it was the GH2, 14/f2.5, 20/f1.7, 7-14/f4 and m.ZD 40-150. It took it comfortably but was definitely about the limit.

Domke stuff isn't the cheapest, but the build quality is great and the canvas material just looks and feels better the more you use it.

5. ksn

ksn Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 6, 2011
    I use the Domke F-5XB. Smaller than the bag above, not as many pockets and looks less like a camera bag. It's real small (smaller than I expected) and I have my GF2, 14mm, 20mm, 14-45mm, 14-140mm, and battery charger in there. Nothing is too tight or too loose, everything seems to fit just right. No real secure place to put extra SD cards though.

Edit: My bad, I read GF1. Not sure if a G1 would fit, probably~

6. Van

Van Mu-43 Regular

Apr 10, 2011
    @ksn

A G-series camera and two lenses fits in a Domke F-5XB just fine by the way. It is, however, a tight squeeze (At least with my GH2, 14-42, & 50mm Nikkor). Use to have that one but I returned it for a F803 and I'm much happier. Room for the GH2 w/ lens attached, a larger lens like the 45-200, and two primes stacked with room to spare. (The extra pockets on the sides are a plus too). Highly recommend it.

7. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    I have a F-802 (same as the 803 but without insert) that I used with my classic 43rds gear and that's a lotta bag for a G-series kit! I could comfortably fit as E-3, 12-60 SWD, 50-200 SWD and 1lt water bottle!

8. greerd

greerd Mu-43 Regular

The Think Tank Retrospective 5 might be something worth looking at, it's a new design and mentions :43:'s with some photos on their site. Looks somewhat similar to yours.
    Retrospective 5 (Pinestone)

9. StephenL

StephenL Mu-43 Regular

Sep 1, 2010
    As a not-designed-for-cameras bag, look at this. I have one and it's ideal for a GH2, with 1 lens fitted and up to 2 more lenses. It's billed as a waist bag but I use it comfortably as a shoulder bag. Best of all, no Velcro or zips in sight!

STEPHEN THE WAIST PACK | Home of Millican

10. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I use a Domke F6 for my everyday bad (which happes to almost always have my M43 body and a lens as well as a ton of other stuff.

11. traveltrader

traveltrader New to Mu-43

Apr 14, 2011
  12. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    I use the Lowepro Rezo 160 AW. This holds my G1... 14-45mm and 45-200mm zooms... both 14mm and 20mm pancakes... plus an extra battery and memory card.... all at the same time.

13. docfox

docfox Mu-43 Regular

Mar 26, 2011
    Hatfield, PA
    A special THANKS to GwagDesign

Your suggestion of a LowePro Rezo 110 was spot-on! It fits just what I wanted to carry (G1 with 14-45mm fitted and filtered, a spare battery, body and lens rear caps, a polarizer and two memory cards). This gear fits like the Rezo 110 was custom made for it (see photos below). It's a nicely made small bag and I found one at BestBuy for only $25. I like that the compartments are zipper sealed against dust and dirt. The removable strap and 'rainhood' are nice pluses. I probably won't use the belt loop, but do appreciate the carry handle.

To Biro: Thanks for your suggestion for a larger bag. I have a Rezo 160 that houses my Olympus e-520 (nose down) with 14-42 or 40-150 fitted and the other below it. This actually leaves me room for a third (short) lens. I actually bought the G1 to avoid hauling this bag at car shows!

With best regards,

George

Attached Files:

14. IIGQ4U

IIGQ4U Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2011
    La Jolla CA
    That is a nice bag!

Here is the bag I use though it sounds like you have made your decision. This may be beneficial to others who venture upon this thread.

Amazon.com: Caselogic SLRC-205 SLR Camera Sling (Black): Camera & Photo

Houses my GF2, 14-45 and 45-200mm with room to spare. Additionally, there are straps to carry a tripod.

15. Van

Van Mu-43 Regular

Apr 10, 2011
    Actually, I used to have the 802 (before I returned it and got the 803) and while it's very similar, it's much bigger in all dimensions:
    -It's much deeper, designed to hold big SLR lenses like a 70-200, and completely overkill for m4/3rd lenses.
    -It's about one lens compartment longer
    -It's about a small notebook computer sized thicker.

And, of course, as you mentioned it doesn't come with inserts. I suppose you could use it with a G1--I did with a GH2 for a while--but it's way too oversized for that camera