1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Best backup camera for E-M1?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Growltiger, Aug 26, 2014.

1. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    I have an E-M1 and three lenses, the 12-40, 60, and 75-300.
    I am worried in case I go on a trip and the camera fails. Although I love it and have faith in it, one can be unlucky.
    So I would like to get a second smaller Olympus camera, just the body, to take with me as a backup. I would only use it if disaster strikes.
    Ideally it would use the same batteries, and of course it will work with all the lenses.

So two questions. In both cases let's assume cost doesn't matter, I want the best results.

1. Must be at least a little lighter/smaller than the E-M1, but must have a viewfinder, what should I buy?

2. If I wanted a really light/small option and was willing to not have a viewfinder, what should I buy?

2. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I believe that the two bodies that share the same battery are the E-M5 and the P5. Personally, I use E-M5's as back up to my E-M1.

Good luck,

--Ken

• Like Like x 1
  3. NoTan2

NoTan2 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 16, 2014
    Newcastle NSW Australia
    Paul
    I bought an E-P5 as a backup for my E-M5 and one of the major reasons was that they share the same battery.
    If that is one of your requirements, I think those two (and of course your E-M1) are the only ones to use a BLN-1.

I believe the viewfinder for the E-P5 (VF-4) is internally similar to the one in the E-M1 but it is an add-on and is quite large and makes the camera considerably higher.

If you are prepared to forgo those two requirements then there are plenty of choices.

I took the E-P5 on a recent trip to Europe "just in case" but I found that I used it as much as the E-M5. However the VF-4 almost never left the bag.

4. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Same here.

But then again, I also have an Oly Stylus 1that surprises me with its capabilities as a 2nd back up.

5. m43happy

m43happy Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 18, 2012
    I have a GX7 as my secondary/back up camera. EVF is definitely not as good, but I feel the picture quality (high ISO-wise) is comparable. It feels lighter for sure. Plus, it offers the variable video options I don't have on the E-M1 + the silent electronic shutter (which I love). I think it compliments the E-M1 well since it has options the Olympus does not have.

• Like Like x 1
  6. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    1. if you need an EVF, just get another E-M1. The upsides (same battery, identical controls, no learning curve, etc…) outweigh the downsides of getting something marginally smaller but with different controls.

2. GM1. Or a serious compact like the Sony RX100 III, Panasonic LX7, etc...

7. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I have an EM5 and EP5 which backup each other. Of course, the E-PM2 comes along in the bag becomes it takes up almost no room. Like Ross, I also have a Stylus 1 for added backup. And an old E-P1 just to be sure. The surplus GF3 with the belt clip is just for piece of mind, as is the XF1 in my pocket.:blush:

8. Ross the fiddler

Yep, go to the zoo or wildlife park with the family & hand them the Stylus 1 & they end up with better photos than you (OK, I) do with the E-M1 & E-M5 (with different lenses on each) slung around the neck. :redface:

• Like Like x 1
  9. NoTan2

NoTan2 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 16, 2014
    Newcastle NSW Australia
    Paul
    Tell me about it, Ross.
    On our recent holiday, my wife refused my offer of a "real" camera and used her Panny TZ30. Her images are mostly (and embarrassingly) better than mine.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Ross the fiddler

Them's the breaks! :rolleyes:

Before I had the E-M1 the Stylus 1 was in my hand (having put the E-M5 back in my bag) & I grabbed this shot while up your way in Boat Harbour (north of Newcastle), which shows, "the best camera to use is the one that's with you!". :wink: :biggrin:

S4224417-adj-tl-cr-s.

Looking at it, I should have closed the aperture a little or switched in the ND filter as I was right on the edge of it's exposure limits.

11. Growltiger

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I think the best answer if I needed a viewfinder would be another E-M1, but without a viewfinder as a small/light body only backup, the E-P5 seems perfect.
    I wish I knew when new models will appear as I don't need it immediately.
    I'll buy it before my next trip, or If the E-M1 goes wrong I will buy it immediately.

12. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    I'm squarely in the camp of match batteries.

E-M5 if you need weather sealing, always need a view finder, and would not mind having a camera for those times when "do I really want to take my shiny new toy there?"

E-P5 if you like the thought that with something like a Pancake on it will actually fit on your jacket pocket with ease.

Each of these two are on longer development cycles than true consumer models and while the E-M5 may be replace before too much longer I don't see the E-P5 being replaced until maybe xmas and even that soon would surprise me. I would wait until after Photokina though as the prices of nearly new E-P5s may drop a little more as I'm sure many that have been thinking about an E-P5 will go for the new E-PL7 instead.

13. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    The forthcoming Pana GM2 is rumored to have an EVF built-in.

Barry

14. Growltiger

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    ISIS is essential given the Olympus lenses, so it must be an Olympus camera.

A question, having looked in more detail at the various current models. Why is the E-P5 more expensive than the E-M10?

15. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    If the OP decides another E-M1 is in order, a refurbished one can be obtained directly from Olympus at substantial savings. If he can wait until the fall, there'll likely be another 15-20% off sale on Oly refurbs as well. Otherwise, go for an E-M5. An E-P5? Sure. But an E-PL5 can be had for even less money and offers the same image quality.

16. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    They are similar in a lot of ways, but the E-M10 is the bottom model in that line while the E-P5 is the top in it's.
    Some of the main feature differences:

The E-P5 has:
    • 1/8000 shutter
    • 1/250 sync
    • 5 axis IBIS
    • 2x2 switch system
    The E-M10 has:
    • 1/4000 shutter
    • 1/200 sync
    • 3 axis IBIS
    • simplified 2x2 system

17. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    I'm pretty surprised no one mentioned the E-M10 until near the end. It seems like the perfect E-M1 backup, with most of the functionality and the most recent image processor and special features in a smaller, lighter, cheaper body.

18. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Not quite perfect. It does not share the same battery. But if this is not an issue, then it is a great option.

--Ken

19. Ross the fiddler

That would be my reply too & why I didn't suggest it.

20. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    I have the EM-5 and bought the EP-5 on a whim. Both cameras are really good. The weather sealing of the EM-5 is a big plus. The EVF on the EP-5 is fantastic! I did also buy a GX7, neat little camera, but not in the same league as the EP-5... I just pulled the trigger on a EM-1 so one of the other cameras needs to go to replace some of the funds... BTW, the fact that they use the same battery is a definite plus and an important factor to consider.

Funny thing is that a camera I use a lot is the Epson RD-1, that old rangefinder takes great pictures and it's so nice to shoot with.. Makes me want to sell everything and get a Leica M :smile: