1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Best Arca Swiss Plate for E-M5?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by humzai, May 22, 2012.

1. humzai

humzai Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 17, 2012
    I would like to get a decent arcaswiss plate for my E-M5 but none of the ones specifically for the E-M5 have been released. I was wondering if the epl3 plate from acratech is a good fit? How are the RRS plates? The ones for the ep3 look positively huge.

I am considering purchasing an acratech nodal plate and thought I might as well order a plate a well. Should I wait?

Thanks

2. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    I've found the kirk pz-130 to be the perfect fit for all the m4/3 cameras I've owned.

3. rxstuve

rxstuve Mu-43 Regular

Mar 14, 2012
    USA
    I was talking to James at Camdapter and he said the ArcaXT works with the EM5

4. rkelac

rkelac Mu-43 Regular

Feb 15, 2011
    The older, smaller RRS plate designed for the E-P2 works great on my E-P3, but because of the lip on the edge I don't think it will work on a E-M5. It will interfere with the screen on the back and the lens mount on the front. I think RRS is coming up with a full bottom plate for the E-M5 like the one specifically designed for the E-P3. They said they would have it in about a month.

• Like Like x 1
  5. heedpantsnow

heedpantsnow Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 24, 2011
    There's a distinct lack of purpose-built L-plates (and normal ones, I guess) right now for the E-M5. RRS tells me they are working on it, but their bread and butter is Canikon people. For the price they are now asking for some of their plates, I'm wondering if a universal solution is better anyway.

So, here's one that I found that I haven't seen before:
    Universal L bracket 1 (3.625 inch) [LB-1] - $90.00 : Hejnar Photo Store, Serving Your Professional Photography Needs
    And then there's these, all of which I can get here in China for pretty cheap:
    Universial L-Type Quick-Release Plates - Products - Sunwayphoto-a superior photography accessories manufacturer in Shenzhen China

Any thoughts?

6. heedpantsnow

heedpantsnow Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 24, 2011
    There's a distinct lack of purpose-built L-plates (and normal ones, I guess) right now for the E-M5. RRS tells me they are working on it, but their bread and butter is Canikon people. For the price they are now asking for some of their plates, I'm wondering if a universal solution is better anyway.

So, here's one that I found that I haven't seen before:
    Universal L bracket 1 (3.625 inch) [LB-1] - $90.00 : Hejnar Photo Store, Serving Your Professional Photography Needs
    And then there's these, all of which I can get here in China for pretty cheap:
    Universial L-Type Quick-Release Plates - Products - Sunwayphoto-a superior photography accessories manufacturer in Shenzhen China

Any thoughts?

7. humzai

humzai Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 17, 2012
    Acratech and Kirk do not plan to offer a custom plate for the E-M5. RRS is but it will be quite large or at least it seems that way.

8. Printfolio

Printfolio Mu-43 Regular

May 6, 2012
    Kortrijk, Belgium
    Steven
    Funny, I was searching for a Markins plate for my EM-5 when I checked new posts and I saw this topic coming up on first spot. Anyway, Markins haven't got a dedicated one either. They recommend the Markins P-26U.

9. mikemxyzzy

mikemxyzzy New to Mu-43

Apr 11, 2012
    I modified a RRS universal L-plate to fit my E-510 and it worked well. I sawed off the part that covered the battery door so that I could still replace the battery with the bracket attached.

I tried it on my E-M5 but the lip on the back of the L-bracket hits the hinge for the LCD. I filed out a notch on the lip of the L-bracket and it clears the hinge. There is a gap between the LCD and camera body because the edge of the LCD has a 45 degree angle on the bottom, so there is just enough room for the lip of the L-bracket to fit between the LCD and camera body.

10. rxstuve

rxstuve Mu-43 Regular

Mar 14, 2012
    USA
    Arca Swiss adapter

OMD_Front. OOMD_EM5_back. I ordered the Camdapter Slingstrap pro and that included the ArcaXT adapter. Due to the standard Acra width to fit a mount it does overhang a bit on the bottom but I don't think you can overcome that and still mount on a standard Arca. Does not bother me and straps are top notch. You can buy the adapter separately if you want also.

11. jlm

jlm Mu-43 Regular

May 31, 2012
  12. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    That is freaking impressive, definitely nice work. Have you considered making an L version? If I didn't already have the grip on order and want the full battery bottom I'd be all over this!

13. humzai

humzai Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 17, 2012
    I need something like your plate portion. I tried the plate that came with my Induro PHQ-1 and it sort of blocks the screen a bit. Although once I get the grip that shouldn't be an issue. Your design looks great and I hope it works out for you. Maybe do a kickstarter project for the orders.

14. A few things to consider are the plate interfering with the battery/card door, mounting a fat lens and the articulating lcd. Don't own an OM-D, but if it's like the Pany G2 & GF-1 regarding clearance you will be limited to smaller qr plates. RRS makes a very small plate (B6). I use the poor man version from Benro (PU-40)

15. jlm

jlm Mu-43 Regular

May 31, 2012
    Mine does not block the screen, the lens the battery or the card those were the specific design constraints

16. kevwilfoto

kevwilfoto Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2011
    Colorado
    I ordered the RRS L plate and am (im)patiently waiting. In the mean time I love the Wimberley P-5 plate. It has a rubberized surface that grips the camera body like a vise.