Best alternative for Lightroom/Photoshop?

Pluttis

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Peter
Dxo Photolab.2 seems really good but how dose it compared to the competitors like Exposure.4, On1 and Luminar, is it worth the slightly higher price?

D

Deleted member 20897

What are you looking to have replaced from Lightroom/Photoshop? DAM, keywording, cataloging kind of things only, post processing workflow, etc?

Having this more, in depth information will help us guide you better.

Right now, if I had to leave Adobe, I'd be looking hard between On1 Photo RAW 2019 and Capture One. Between the ability for both to catalog and Capture One's ability to work well with Fuji files, I give it a slight advantage. Being this is an m43 forum and you are probably looking at those cameras only - both tools will provide great post processing quality. I do also have On1 products because I use their post processing presets for film simulations a lot.

I find specific tools that I love for certain reasons and tend to use their strengths.

SojiOkita

Mu-43 All-Pro
DxO is very good RAW development program.
*For me*, it's not a valid replacement for Lightroom because of the lack of library functions, the fact it doesn't handle all the RAW files I have, and that some LR features that I have are missing.

I bought it last black friday, and I got some very good results from it on difficult low light pictures. When I use it, I export as DNG that I process in Lightroom.

Depending of what you the functions you are willing to find in your raw software, DxO could be a good choice or not.

Pluttis

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Peter
Thanks for input...

I had a cracked Photoshop CS6 but it stopped working yesterday, some file that could not be repaired.

I dont do any heavy postprocessing, usually just basic adjustments and sometimes a run through Nik collection or other presets.

With that said, what i basically need is what Lightroom offer in functions.

I only shoot with Olympus and have no intention of switching system or buy into another one.

ON1 is the only one of them that i have tried and it seemed good as it offers what i need and more, little slow sometimes.

Capture seems good but little pricey

Real Name
Denny
Dxo Photolab.2 seems really good but how dose it compared to the competitors like Exposure.4, On1 and Luminar, is it worth the slightly higher price?
This subject has been discussed numerous times in various threads on this forum. Have you done a search of this forum to find such discussions and get the opinions of those contributors?

Pluttis

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Peter
This subject has been discussed numerous times in various threads on this forum. Have you done a search of this forum to find such discussions and get the opinions of those contributors?
Yes i found Luminar and On1 thread...do you have a link to any thread where the different alteratives are being discussed and compared to each other?

SojiOkita

Mu-43 All-Pro
I dont do any heavy postprocessing, usually just basic adjustments and sometimes a run through Nik collection or other presets.
With that said, what i basically need is what Lightroom offer in functions.
DxO strong features are mainly the quality of RAW conversion (in fine details), especially with noise correction, and the optical corrections.

For doing quick basic adjustments... maybe it's not the best choice... however there is a way to work with presets and some interesting features as Lighting or ClearView.

RyanM

Mu-43 Veteran
I'm a big fan of darktable; it's a high-quality RAW processor with Lightroom-like digital asset management built in. In particular, it's tools for localized edits (brushes, masking based on color/luminance, etc) are very powerful. Plus, it's free and open source, so it's very easy to give it a shot and see how you like it.

about

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Today I upgraded my On1 v9 to version 2019.5 as I use the effects portion a lot, and at $64 for the upgrade which covers all my cameras I feel "safe". Will probably get Topaz Denoise also. Since I am not using but about 10% of PS, I will play with On1 as a whole package and see what it lacks that I use in PSCC/LR.

While I love the software, Adobe's test marketing and often hidden reasons are getting on my nerves lately. And as my needs have changed, ON1 seems have greatly advanced since V9. I will hang on to the the $9.95 subscription for a while until I am comfortable using ON1 or when Abobe forces everyone to be cloud based and LRClassic is no longer offered or my particular subscriptions doubles in price. If I was still working full time and need to have files compatible with the graphics industry I would have to pay the price. But I am not, so I can test the waters for different programs. The only item that does not have a profile on On1 is my PL100-400, this is easy to remedy by sending a photo to the database (same one as DT uses I think).

Once LRCC has as much power as LR Classic I don't see Adobe supporting both. So, I guess in my mind I've started the transition to ON1 and well see how long it takes to change over 100%. As long as the Adobe subscription is "reasonable" and LR Desktop is continued I'll use both, but given the surveys I've seen from Adobe I'm not betting the farm for LRclassic to have a long life.

Last edited:

oldracer

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
In defense of the OP, this game is like football with the probable winners changing rapidly. I have read most of the other threads but clicked on this one to check the latest scores.

The best app is the one that suits your needs the most... and covers the greater percentage of your pressing top priority needs at the same time. It will be different for everyone as you can probably tell here.

Most of the What's the best Alternative to LR/PS threads have some very passionate responses by both pros and amateurs alike... and all are valid as they are based on individual experience.

The good part of all this is that most of the apps provide a minimum of a 30 day free trial.

I've used most of the apps listed in most of these threads... and owned a great number of them too, including LR/PS through the subscription.

If you want to have a go at some reviews and/or helpful posts on Exposure X4 by Alien Skin then here is a thread devoted entirely to that app.

Pluttis

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Peter
The best app is the one that suits your needs the most... and covers the greater percentage of your pressing top priority needs at the same time. It will be different for everyone as you can probably tell here.

Most of the What's the best Alternative to LR/PS threads have some very passionate responses by both pros and amateurs alike... and all are valid as they are based on individual experience.

The good part of all this is that most of the apps provide a minimum of a 30 day free trial.

I've used most of the apps listed in most of these threads... and owned a great number of them too, including LR/PS through the subscription.

If you want to have a go at some reviews and/or helpful posts on Exposure X4 by Alien Skin then here is a thread devoted entirely to that app.
I agree, unfortunately i dont have time to spend on test, validate and compare all Lightroom/Photoshop alternatives to each other so thats why im interested to here what people that have tried and compared have to say.

I have tried ON1 and it will easily cover my needs when it comes to functions and seems to give good results.

Thanks for the link to Expusure.4

fransglans

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
gus
Pluttis, fyi, Photoshop cs2 can br downloaded from adobe for free it has been available for years, if you want a free legit ps version

Regarding lightroom I was trying alot of alternatives but didn't found any worth to mention, I stick with the monthly Adobe fee instead, but if I find a second hand lightroom 6, that could be my best option

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ross
I'm using Capture One 12 for my Olympus files (when I need more than Olympus Workspace) & Hugin software for panoramic stitching but it only works with TIFF though (followed by editing in Capture One).

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom